• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Grade or not to Grade?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this proper/graded collecting thing, although I've been buying comics in the UK for 40 years.  I wondered if I could get a bit of advice about whether or not to submit a relatively modest comic for grading.  I recognise that I don't operate in the rarefied heights of serious collectors, so just hoping for a polite response : )

I have a copy of JLA 14 from 1962.  It's in reasonable condition - to my untrained eye somewhere in the 7.5 - 8.5 range.  However, the top staple has worn through the cover i.e. it is present and holding the other pages in place, but not the cover.  The bottom staple is pretty much as it should be.  

I have no idea how much a defect like this impacts the grade of a book.  Can anyone help please.

Best wishes from the UK.

AS with all defects, it depends on the condition of the rest of the book. You really need to show us detailed pics for us to give a better answer but I concur with the above comment. A book in 7.5 - 8.5 would be in the 5.5 - 6.5 range with a detached staple. You must realize, at the site of the detachment, is a tear at least as long as the staple. IMO, this book is not worth grading.

It should also be noted that in the event you were hoping to sell and grade ANY book, make sure to factor in that being in Europe will likely factor in to your realizable final sales price, as your market will be somewhat limited, and possibly even more limited depending on how/when Brexit resolves. 

34 minutes ago, revat said:

It should also be noted that in the event you were hoping to sell and grade ANY book, make sure to factor in that being in Europe will likely factor in to your realizable final sales price, as your market will be somewhat limited, and possibly even more limited depending on how/when Brexit resolves. 

Ain't that the truth! I thought I'd roll the dice and sell a load of duplicates at auction with 99p start, basically had to give away a lot of them for the start price, not rubbish either Silver age, eBay sucks!

2 minutes ago, Dan82 said:
38 minutes ago, revat said:

Ain't that the truth! I thought I'd roll the dice and sell a load of duplicates at auction with 99p start, basically had to give away a lot of them for the start price, not rubbish either Silver age, eBay sucks!

Its a little easier for Euro collectors now that CGC is opening an office there, but a little unlucky (though maybe they planned for it) for CGC that Brexit might make it more difficult (and expensive) for people from EU countries to submit comics for grading.

But as for sales of non-junk non-keys, I think its pretty tough.  What are the odds that someone in the UK wants that specific comic right at that specific time for that specific price AND doesn't already have it.  You might fetch higher prices for keys or rares in some cases if you can start a local bidding war, but otherwise Americans and Canadians probably won't want to pay extra shipping and other import charges to wait longer for overseas shipping with tougher returns.  That's just how it is.