• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never get FEDEX to package your books.

13 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

:news: Customs isn't taping up your inspected boxes.  Also if it was declared incorrectly as a five dollar item, you're lucky they didn't seize it.

Definitely Canada Customs.  Box was straight from CGC via FedEx.  Even had the pretty “Cleared” customs sticker put on it

Edited by 427Impaler

9 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

Definitely Canada Customs.  Box was straight from CGC via FedEx.  Even had the pretty “Cleared” customs sticker puts on it

The carrier pays for and hosts customs officers at their facility.   Prior to custom's arrival,  the carrier gets notified of packages to be inspected so those are pulled & staged for inspection, generally the warehouse employees are opening and closing the boxes for customs inspection in an assembly line.   The stickers and the "inspected by customs" tape are both on hand with fedex or any other carrier clearing internationally. (shrug)  I'm just pointing out that the ridiculous tape job is courtesy of fedex.  

Edited by bababooey

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

I'm just pointing out that the ridiculous tape job is courtesy of fedex.  

And...to be honest that looks like the type of quick tape job done during the inspection and someone failed to double back (after customs leaves) and re-do the taping properly.

Well, I always like to give credit where credit is due, so I gave them a call and am awaiting a call back to find out whether this was inspected in the office or in the “cage”.  Supposedly the “cage” would indicate it was a Customs only action.  Either way I’ll be filling a small claim, as they also unwrapped the shrink wrap and left the slab loose inside.  Small scuff on the top corner after close inspection.  I did have the fedex driver note the wonderful tape job when it was dropped off.  Not the end of the world but disappointing.

19 hours ago, bababooey said:

:news: Customs isn't taping up your inspected boxes.  Also if it was declared incorrectly as a five dollar item, you're lucky they didn't seize it.

^^ I stand corrected, just got off the phone with FEDEX, and it turns out the package was NOT inspected by Canada Customs.  The scary part is the slab was completely unwrapped when I opened the box, so it would appear that someone, somewhere,  for whatever the reason had a look at the contents.

21 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

Well, I always like to give credit where credit is due, so I gave them a call and am awaiting a call back to find out whether this was inspected in the office or in the “cage”.  Supposedly the “cage” would indicate it was a Customs only action.  Either way I’ll be filling a small claim, as they also unwrapped the shrink wrap and left the slab loose inside.  Small scuff on the top corner after close inspection.  I did have the fedex driver note the wonderful tape job when it was dropped off.  Not the end of the world but disappointing.

I entirely blamed on CGC for not securing the package before FedEx. I work part-time at UPS and have seen too many opened boxes especially Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club everyday. Those companies pack them poorly - too loose inside, only one tape to seal the box, shifted weight that goes through the end of the box and hollow space. I have to tape them all opened boxes.