• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in ! PGM Avengers 1 with bad chipping

26 posts in this topic

The bad - it has heavy chipping down the outside edge and it has some creases in a few places.

The good - it has beautiful deep colors , the staples , spine and pages are all tight. There isn't any chipping on any of the other edges besides the outside of the cover. The small stain on the back is from the distributors mark. I took a photo from the top of the pages to show that as well. 

I have already submitted the book to cgc so it should be back soon. I did have the book pressed through ccs as well. All opinions are welcome and thank you again.

DSC_7043.JPG

DSC_7052.JPG

DSC_7054.JPG

DSC_7055.JPG

DSC_7058.JPG

DSC_7059.JPG

DSC_7060.JPG

DSC_7061.JPG

DSC_7062.JPG

DSC_7063.JPG

DSC_7066.JPG

DSC_7068.JPG

DSC_7071.JPG

DSC_7072.JPG

DSC_7073.JPG

DSC_7074.JPG

DSC_7076.JPG

DSC_7093.JPG

DSC_7094.JPG

DSC_7095.JPG

DSC_7096.JPG

DSC_7104.JPG

DSC_7105.JPG

DSC_7106.JPG

DSC_7109.JPG

DSC_7112.JPG

DSC_7113.JPG

DSC_7114.JPG

DSC_7116.JPG

DSC_7118.JPG

DSC_7119.JPG

DSC_7120.JPG

DSC_7121.JPG

DSC_7123.JPG

DSC_7126.JPG

Edited by Lamborghinikid

Thank you for looking . I wish I had the book in hand to double check but if I remember correctly it wasn’t a tear. It was like a hard color break from where they opened the book over and over from that same spot. It also has two creases that spring from that spot and run upward and then they just stop and vanish. It was a very odd color break and crease combo for sure. It’s crazy how the front on marvel books will chip like this one yet the back looks nice. You would think they would both chip considering they were cut by the same blade.

19 hours ago, evilskip said:

Personally I wouldn't go over a 3.5 on it. Too much chipping.

Ordinarily, I'd say 3.5 to 4.0, but in this case, the back cover may be strong enough visually to mollify the overall grade, and propel it into the 4.0 to 4.5 range, certainly no more than that..

A press here will not be of any grade benefit, unless just to visually flatten any warping or bends, around those creases.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I would have graded this book a VG/FN 5.0 - FN - 5.5 (Hesitant to Overgrade) W/O the Marvel Chipping.

Since Marvel Chipping is a Bindery/Trimming Defect I am very curious to see how the Chipping affects the final grade.

CGC does not give chipping a pass. How did that myth ever originate ? They measure up the volume of missing paper and downgrade accordingly.

The vertex of the spine is pretty roughed up. I see a little rust on the staples but it probably doesn't matter. Honestly, IMO, it's a 3.5 but I can see CGC giving it a 4.0 . I think we need more pictures ! :baiting:

On 9/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

"I would have graded this book a VG/FN 5.0 - FN - 5.5 (Hesitant to Overgrade) W/O the Marvel Chipping.

Since Marvel Chipping is a Bindery/Trimming Defect I am very curious to see how the Chipping affects the final grade."

13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

CGC does not give chipping a pass. How did that myth ever originate ? They measure up the volume of missing paper and downgrade accordingly.

I never stated that they would give it a pass,I only stated  that Marvel Chipping is Bindery/Trimming defect and I was curious as to how much the grade would be lowered due to this Bindery/Trimming defect.

By definition what exactly constitutes an "Accumulation Of Bindery/Printing Defects"?

Due we make this up as we go along???

Marvel Chipping - A bindery (trimming/cutting) defect that causes a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edge of the cover. This is caused where the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull. Dubbed "Marvel chipping" because it can occur quite often with that company's comics from the late 50s and early 60s but can also occur with any company's comic books from the late 1940s through the middle 1960s. 

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed.

Edited by marvelmaniac