• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,222 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sorry, without an emoticon, I can't tell if you were joking or serious. 

I didn't phrase the question right. I meant to ask if a page misalignment would be one of the mishaps that would occur? If not then what could go wrong during a reslab?

13 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I didn't phrase the question right. I meant to ask if a page misalignment would be one of the mishaps that would occur? If not then what could go wrong during a reslab?

I've personally experienced two different 'mishaps'. First, a newly introduced corner crease. The grade didn't change, just an accident while encapsulating. My second incident involved a significantly sized cookie crumb, wedged right against the comic in the inner well. On a friend's book, I saw a corner that was sliced, probably by the knife or scissors used to remove the book. Alignment in the slab is always a risk but, interestingly enough, I have not experienced it. The only reason I will reslab is if there is damage to the slab, not to upgrade to a newer slab. What a waste of time and money.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've personally experienced two different 'mishaps'. First, a newly introduced corner crease. The grade didn't change, just an accident while encapsulating. My second incident involved a significantly sized cookie crumb, wedged right against the comic in the inner well. On a friend's book, I saw a corner that was sliced, probably by the knife or scissors used to remove the book. Alignment in the slab is always a risk but, interestingly enough, I have mot experienced it. The only reason I will reslab is if there is damage to the slab, not just to upgrade to a newer slab. What a waste of time and money.

Ok now you're freaking me out. I just submitted 2 for a reslab one because the book was moving slightly inside the well the other because the slab had too many scratches & looked like it went through a world war or two! 

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok now you're freaking me out. I just submitted 2 for a reslab one because the book was moving slightly inside the well the other because the slab had too many scratches & looked like it went through a world war or two! 

You'll be okay. Accidents happen, but cgc would make it right if liable. I wouldn't worry doesn't happen too often I suppose

Just now, MGsimba77 said:

I hear ya, those are good reasons. The book moving slightly inside the well is annoying and can result in damage (SCS). The scratches are annoying but at least the book is safe. With an absolute keeper book, here is what I sometimes do. I remove the inner well and put it into a new outer well. I have dozens of, near perfect condition, outer wells that were opened very carefully. The outer well is not sealed but if you keep it in a bag, it stays shut. Sounds crazy but it works.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You'll be okay. Accidents happen, but cgc would make it right if liable. I wouldn't worry doesn't happen too often I suppose

You are correct. CGC is very good about making things right and the odds are low for a mishap. However, I simply do not want to risk a reslab without having good reason in the first place. To simply 'upgrade' to a newer case is again, IMO, a waste of time and money.

21 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Coasters

IMG_20180120_171322.jpg

IMG_20180120_171223.jpg

IMG_20180121_124938.jpg

These are so friggin cool !

Thanks for the heads up about your 151 in 9.6.

ASM 151 is the first comic book I ever bought, from newsstand "stationery" store a quarter mile from my house in fall 1975.

Edited by grebal
I mean that issue was the first comic I ever bought

13 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

My first buy on the boards! Lois Lane 10 from Dale Roberts holiday sale. Also threw in some sweet date stamp books from my boxes for ya all.

IMG_0046.JPG

:applause: you just beat me to that Lois Lane, nice pickup

43 minutes ago, grebal said:

These are so friggin cool !

Thanks for the heads up about your 151 in 9.6.

ASM 151 is the first comic book I ever bought, from newsstand "stationery" store a quarter mile from my house in fall 1975.

:whatthe: wow you bought that issue in '75 when it came out! Holy moly! That predates my time for sure. Did they get released a month prior to the month listed on the books back then? 

If I ever decide to let this go you'd definitely get first dibs for sure! 

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

:whatthe: wow you bought that issue in '75 when it came out! Holy moly! That predates my time for sure. Did they get released a month prior to the month listed on the books back then? 

If I ever decide to let this go you'd definitely get first dibs for sure! 

Yes, sir, at least a month "early."  That book was "Dec." but it might have been even October when it hit the stands, although you're right, Nov. is more likely.  I feel old when you say that, was around 10 at the time, but I guess it's all relative, I've read boardies that talk about buying e.g. FF 45 or 67 or some other mid 60s book as their first exposure to superhero comics and had the exact same reaction as you.