• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,143 posts in this topic

Someone explain to me the Doc Strange version on this cover? Is this the evil Doc Strange? What issues of Strange tales should I be buying to get up to speed on this?

Dr Strange's short lived superhero suit...

Ran from Strange Tales 177-182. Also was wearing the mask in Avengers #61 and maybe some other titles. Was gone by the time of Marvel Feature #1 (Dec 1971/1st Defenders).

Jim

Someone explain to me the Doc Strange version on this cover? Is this the evil Doc Strange? What issues of Strange tales should I be buying to get up to speed on this?

Dr Strange's short lived superhero suit...

Ran from Strange Tales 177-182. Also was wearing the mask in Avengers #61 and maybe some other titles. Was gone by the time of Marvel Feature #1 (Dec 1971/1st Defenders).

Jim

It was Doctor Strange series 1 #177-183, actually, which continued its numbering from Strange Tales. They also used the masked costume for some nice psychedelic posters that came out in 1971 from Third Eye:

thirdeye2.jpg

Edited by wdb23

Great pick-up, Tomega, as your copy has a beautiful white background. Steranko never was all that great with his anatomy, but his tremendous skill with creative designs and perspectives is shown really well by this cover.

Great pick-up, Tomega, as your copy has a beautiful white background. Steranko never was all that great with his anatomy, but his tremendous skill with creative designs and perspectives is shown really well by this cover.

Thanks, the issue was on eBay but I was in negotiation to buy it and my offer was higher then what he would have gotten on eBay. I have been looking for this for a long time. Metropolis has had a cream to off white version of it on their web site for about a year or so. I submitted two offers for it but they want only top dollar for the issue even though it has cream pages. That is why it will be there for years to come. I do not know why they bother to have "submit an offer" option because it seems they never accept an offer. I have put offers in that were 10% less and they still rejected it ( the offers were still in the 3 times guide range.) I have since bought nicer issues for less money from other dealers. Do not get me wrong, I think Vincent is one of the best in the business and a really stand up guy, but I do not understand the logic of some of their pricing sometimes. I understand the big dealer, overhead, initial investment...blah,blah, blah, but you cannot always get 4 to 5 times guide for an issue that the market does not justify that cost.

Here's a number of books I picked up this week; all raw of course.

Crisis on Infinite Earths 1-12, mostly VF/NM (one or two possibly VF or so and a few NM)

Uncanny X-Men 158, VF/NM

171, NM

201, VF/NM

211, NM-

268, NM

Annual 14, NM-

Don't have them scanned in yet. If anybody really wants to see any of them, just say so.

got these today, gonna have to update most spent on a book thingy though cuz yeh

DD #4 (paid a little over 100 but it looks friggin sweet)

DD #7 (20 bucks in vf- nootch!)

DD #17

DD #52

DD vol 2 #2 and #5

DD redemption 1-3

supes 215

and FF #73 nifty lil crossover with a nice cover heh

passed on GS X-men #1 for 20 was missing cover, and x-men 94 for 35, was missing 1 1/2' tear frown.gif but overall a good day so yeah smile.gif