• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,146 posts in this topic

Picked this up on ebay, D copy. Now only 500 more to go foreheadslap.gif

Spirit16March1947.jpg

From the recent Clink auction

Headline287.jpg

JIM748.jpg

Angelo

Nice books Angelo! thumbsup2.gif

I love the Spirit section. Is that the Crippen Code in pencil?

I will be getting a Spirit book in shortly and will post it when I have it in hand.

Yeah Jayman, that's a Crippen copy. I have a few of these in my Spirit collection. Looking forward to seeing your Spirit book thumbsup2.gif Is the Spirit part of your collecting focus, or an impulse buy?

Angelo

Love the JIM. Nice Kirby cover.

Not to dismiss the book - its beautiful, and nicer than mine - but I've always preferred full covers to split or multi-panel covers. I wonder if they were Kirby's concept, Stan's or a Martin Goodman edict akin to Irwin Donenfeld's decision for recurring ape covers.

I bought an original Spirit section many years ago at a Con, and for the life of me I now have no idea where I stored it. I do know I still have it somewhere, though! lol.

That's how I got my first Spirit section, at a con in the mid 80's. I grew up reading the Warren, then Kitchen Sink, reprints. It was the first time I had seen an actuall section in person. Been hooked ever since grin.gif

Angelo

Yeah Jayman, that's a Crippen copy. I have a few of these in my Spirit collection. Looking forward to seeing your Spirit book thumbsup2.gif Is the Spirit part of your collecting focus, or an impulse buy?

Angelo

I only have a couple of the Warren Spirit Mags.

This book (when I get it) has a nice horror cover to it so it crosses over into my collecting genre. acclaim.gif

Not to dismiss the book - its beautiful, and nicer than mine - but I've always preferred full covers to split or multi-panel covers. I wonder if they were Kirby's concept, Stan's or a Martin Goodman edict akin to Irwin Donenfeld's decision for recurring ape covers.

I believe Kirby did as he pleased. Not quite sure if the Marvel method was in effect at this point in time, but I'm pretty sure Stan didn't interject too much. As for panel covers, some are better than others. I think it works to great effect on a cover like TOS #23

TOS23F.jpg

Angelo

I've got the complete Warren/Kitchen run, plus the over-sized Kitchen magazines. Also have the two-issue Kitchen mini-series from 1973, and a few other one-off things.

My prize Eisner is the signed, limited first edition hard cover of A Contract with God. It was a run of 1,500 by Baronet (I think).

LOVE Eisner!!!!

I've got the complete Warren/Kitchen run, plus the over-sized Kitchen magazines. Also have the two-issue Kitchen mini-series from 1973, and a few other one-off things.

My prize Eisner is the signed, limited first edition hard cover of A Contract with God. It was a run of 1,500 by Baronet (I think).

LOVE Eisner!!!!

thumbsup2.gif That's awesome!

Angelo

I believe Kirby did as he pleased. Not quite sure if the Marvel method was in effect at this point in time, but I'm pretty sure Stan didn't interject too much. As for panel covers, some are better than others. I think it works to great effect on a cover like TOS #23

TOS23F.jpg

Angelo

White Mountain copy?

TOS23F.jpg

Angelo

White Mountain copy?

27_laughing.gif Don't I wish. I believe adamstrange has all of them wink.gif

Angelo