• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,199 posts in this topic

Is there any reason to read this series? Is there a worthwhile story, or pure hucksterism? I read Crisis on Infinite Earths a few years ago not long after rediscovering comic books, and while it was confusing at times -- because storytelling was secondary to the artwork and DC's cleanup agenda, and because of my 1970 to 1995 "gap" -- it was worth the time. I've heard conflicting views on Secret Wars and obviously there are some fans here. With 2 to 4 copies of each issue, mostly from cheapo bins, I might as well dig them out and take a look.

Jack

SW10CGC9.jpg

Is there any reason to read this series? Is there a worthwhile story, or pure hucksterism? I read Crisis on Infinite Earths a few years ago not long after rediscovering comic books, and while it was confusing at times -- because storytelling was secondary to the artwork and DC's cleanup agenda, and because of my 1970 to 1995 "gap" -- it was worth the time. I've heard conflicting views on Secret Wars and obviously there are some fans here. With 2 to 4 copies of each issue, mostly from cheapo bins, I might as well dig them out and take a look.

Jack

It has its high points, IMHO.

Great Yellow Claws!!!

Here are some more war books from a recent lot I picked up. Only just getting around to scanning them now.

ssws57.jpg

ssws30.jpg

ssws58.jpg

ssws27.jpg

ssws25.jpg

I've also posted more in the silver thread, under 'Show us your ten centers' and 'Pink Covers'

Is Secret Wars worth a read? Definitely.

here in manhattan 10-15 years ago there used to be a lot of guys setting up shop on the sidewalk with a table and some boxes and selling comics. now it's far less frequent. picked these up today for $10 total, all baged and boarded:

Tales from the Crypt (Reprints) #5 & #6 (NM-)

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (NM)

JLA Annual #3 (crisis cross-over) (NM)

JLA 203 VF

MTU 128 (Captain America photo cover) (NM-)

Our Fighting Forces 48 (10 cent cover) - Good-

Hulk 294 (cool cover) VF

Wilbur 88 (12 cent cover - 1963) VG+

Unknown Worlds 23 (12 cent cover) - VG

Star Spangled War Stories 104 (12 cent dino cover) - Good

Daring Adventures 9 (10 cent cover, IW) - G/VG

MTU 130 NM

Secret Wars 5 NM-

Hulk 329 NM-

Ok, maybe not such a big deal, but still fun to pluck out nonetheless. Something about digging through a box on the street adds to the excitement. When I hit the 10 cent cover price Our Fighting Forces about 5% of the way into the boxes I got really excited and was thinking "cool, what if there are a bunch more 10 cent cover price DCs here at 65 cents each!!!" There were a few more oldies, but it makes me wonder how many days that guy had been out there selling comics and what sort of other stuff had been cherry picked!

here in manhattan 10-15 years ago there used to be a lot of guys setting up shop on the sidewalk with a table and some boxes and selling comics. now it's far less frequent. picked these up today for $10 total, all baged and boarded:

Tales from the Crypt (Reprints) #5 & #6 (NM-)

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (NM)

JLA Annual #3 (crisis cross-over) (NM)

JLA 203 VF

MTU 128 (Captain America photo cover) (NM-)

Our Fighting Forces 48 (10 cent cover) - Good-

Hulk 294 (cool cover) VF

Wilbur 88 (12 cent cover - 1963) VG+

Unknown Worlds 23 (12 cent cover) - VG

Star Spangled War Stories 104 (12 cent dino cover) - Good

Daring Adventures 9 (10 cent cover, IW) - G/VG

MTU 130 NM

Secret Wars 5 NM-

Hulk 329 NM-

Ok, maybe not such a big deal, but still fun to pluck out nonetheless. Something about digging through a box on the street adds to the excitement. When I hit the 10 cent cover price Our Fighting Forces about 5% of the way into the boxes I got really excited and was thinking "cool, what if there are a bunch more 10 cent cover price DCs here at 65 cents each!!!" There were a few more oldies, but it makes me wonder how many days that guy had been out there selling comics and what sort of other stuff had been cherry picked!

Man, that sounds like heaven!!! I would love to find stuff like that at that prices, right on the street!!!

Shep

here in manhattan 10-15 years ago there used to be a lot of guys setting up shop on the sidewalk with a table and some boxes and selling comics. now it's far less frequent. picked these up today for $10 total, all baged and boarded:...

Man, that sounds like heaven!!! I would love to find stuff like that at that prices, right on the street!!!

Shep

Or right in someone's apartment, where the sellers may have "found" them!

JPS

My copy of Our Fighting Forces #71 just arrived!!! After missing out on a 9.2 copy on Heritage (at nearly 6x guide!) I was chuffed to get this one for a c-note. I'm snapping it out of the slab tonight.

The best greytone cover of all time, imho.

Shep

7b_3.jpg

Great cover - I love this book!!! Where in the world did you find it for only $100?? mad.gif

How was the WSOP this year?

$12 mill 1st prize, but I didn't deal it. I wanted to, but they screwed around with the tip pool. They diluted it by including more employees, thus thinning out they overall payout. If they want top dealers involved with the WSOP, they sure are going about it in an a*s-backwards way...?

Rick

I hope you weren't the dealer who dealt me pocket kings vs A,K and turned an ace on me to knock me out! mad.gifmad.gif