• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batavia Comic Thing 2018 - Report
1 1

29 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

there is a Joe d show in Niagara falls this saturday10/28/18 I probably will check this out. I did not go to the Batavia show this past Sunday, never got information about it but I don't frequent facebook  at all and not too may social media sites...….

Thanks for the heads up! 

22 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What...? A Shogun Warriors #13 for $24?? A steal at ten times the price!

:insane:

Are you sure it is not a bargain at 1/2 the price? (shrug)

10 hours ago, paperheart said:

20% below Chuckles NM price.

Good lord, you're right. He has #1 at $54 in NM. And it must be a hot seller at that price because he has none in stock! For some reason I have a weird affinity for SW #1. In 1978 (or was it 77?) a copy was the consolation price from my father who did not want to spend the money on an actual shogun warriors toy, which, if I remember correctly, were pretty hot right then. 

13 hours ago, cupny said:

I'll try to make you feel a bit better.  2 years ago, I drove 45 minutes to a John Haines show in Batavia only to find that the show had been canceled.  No email, no facebook, no communication of cancellation.  To top it off, I received one of his mailers about a week prior announcing the CosmicCon.

That's just dang rude.

7 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
13 hours ago, cupny said:

I'll try to make you feel a bit better.  2 years ago, I drove 45 minutes to a John Haines show in Batavia only to find that the show had been canceled.  No email, no facebook, no communication of cancellation.  To top it off, I received one of his mailers about a week prior announcing the CosmicCon.

That's just dang rude.

Reminds me of comic shops back in the 70s and 80s - run by fly-by-night operators.

I would take the bus to the outer reaches of Portland, Oregon to visit them all, and nothing worse than getting there and finding the damn things closed during their supposed business hours.  Then I'd have to wait an hour for the bus to make its run until it would come back to pick me up. :sorry: 

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Reminds me of comic shops back in the 70s and 80s - run by fly-by-night operators.

I would take the bus to the outer reaches of Portland, Oregon to visit them all, and nothing worse than getting there and finding the damn things closed during their supposed business hours.  Then I'd have to wait an hour for the bus to make its run until it would come back to pick me up. :sorry: 

They must have been really fly-by-night to not even have phones!

:D

On 10/22/2018 at 5:37 AM, the blob said:

Is he the one who does wacky prices like having a $4.72 box? If so I am surprised you found nothing. But if they were all priced like the shotgun warriors...

It is hard to look at that much stuff and find nothing worth the price. I did this once, at silver age comics in queens. I spent 45 minutes finding the place and finding parking and they had nothing that was not 2x what I would pay. 

Silver Age is always so disappointing. It's got all the ingredients for a great dirtbag shop: at the end of the subway line, IN the elevated subway station, just feels like a shop where you can find some great stuff...and zip. Stock is in awful condition, its all drek, and all priced ridiculously. Even the new, BRAND NEW that week, comics are somehow in terrible condition. I mean wut? I only get over there once in a great while for other reasons than hunting comics, but I still stop in and look through a few boxes. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.  :(