• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you need to physically touch and hold your books?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

I like owning physical books.  But I don't re-read or display them.  If a safe deposit box were cheap enough, I'd just store my books there.  Is immediate access to your books important to you? I ask because I am thinking of starting a remote-storage business for comic books.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome...

Yes. Otherwise, what's the point..? Most of my books are not slabbed, and are a box away from being readable.

All of my CGC-graded books are on display (in a box right now due to rearrangement).

Everything that I plan on buying is to read (and share with my best friend) or to display.

21 hours ago, adam_f said:

I like owning physical books.  But I don't re-read or display them.  If a safe deposit box were cheap enough, I'd just store my books there.  Is immediate access to your books important to you? I ask because I am thinking of starting a remote-storage business for comic books.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome...

I store many of my books in multiple Bank Safety Deposit Boxes. Immediate access to all of my books is not important for me. Having said that, I would never hand off my books to a third party for remote storage. Sorry but I don't think your business idea would work, at least not for me.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I store many of my books in multiple Bank Safety Deposit Boxes. Immediate access to all of my books is not important for me. Having said that, I would never hand off my books to a third party for remote storage. Sorry but I don't think your business idea would work, at least not for me.

That was my first thought as well.  

21 hours ago, adam_f said:

Questions for you:

- You believe the costs of your remote storage would be cheaper than a Bank Safety Deposit ? 

- Would your remote storage would have the equivalent security of a Bank Security Vault ?

- My insurance policy recognizes a Bank Vault under my policy = I am covered for the books in the Bank Vault. Would my insurance company recognize your remote storage business ?

I think you have a creative idea but I honestly don't think you thought this through as to why it would appeal to a serious collector. Sorry.

18 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
22 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Touch them, fondle them, caress them, whisper sweet nothings into their centerfolds. Yup!

Note to self - Never buy run of Witchblade from Jeffro . . .

You said you wanted NFL Superpro. I gave those extra special attention

These are comic books.  Not wine.  I can't imagine a given area has enough serious comic collectors that they would consider the use of an offsite storage facility.  I also can't see how anyone would want to spend $XX/month to store books.  Likewise, I don't know how much a secure, climate controlled space would cost as a business owner either.  I mean yes, most of my books haven't been opened since I first bought them off the shelf and read them.  But most of my books are also worth less than what I paid.  I've been storing them in my closet or a bookshelf for 30 years now, I just don't see a need to suddenly spend money to have it stored elsewhere.

Like I said, there are wine storage facilities, but wine takes up much more space in a persons home, should be stored in a specific climate range, and can be stored for 20+ years.  Things that aren't always easily done for homeowners who might live in small homes, not have room for properly sized wine fridges, and who don't expect to drink a wine for decades and so have no need to have the bottle easily accessible.  Basically, it's a business model that works for some things, but not others.

38 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
57 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

Touch them, fondle them, caress them, whisper sweet nothings into their centerfolds. Yup!

Note to self - Never buy run of Witchblade from Jeffro . . .

You said you wanted NFL Superpro. I gave those extra special attention

greggy-like attention?  :whistle:

I love my Bank SAFE Deposit box. (let's use proper terminology, please) and could never give my comics to another for "remote storage." However, if you live a very big wealthy city, I could see your project working. As someone mentioned earlier insurance is a big question: who carries the policy? You? The comic owner? I can see this getting muddy and problematic. 

Many comic collectors (and all collectors of rare & pricey items) are very interested in Bank SAFE Deposit Boxes and their interests in the history/mechanics of Bank SAFE Deposit Boxes is equal to and/or greater than their interest in comics. Now if you opened some sort of remote safe/climate controlled storage area that was also an exhibit/museum centered around Bank SAFE Deposit Boxes with tour guides and maybe a 10-minute introductory educational film than you might have something!!! Folks could see their comics (for those who need such things) and get a little education around Bank SAFE Deposit Boxes. I support and encourage this project. Sounds very interesting!

Edited by NoMan

Think of it this way-would a business offering remote storage of money be successful?

-also factoring in the money would become less valuable if jostled.  Sometimes extremely less valuable.

Edited by kav

Why would I have them otherwise? I want to be surrounded in all my stuff, I want to look at them and smell them, touch them. Just like I need to touch and play my records, or make setups and yes actually play with my old toys. There's no point in having having any of it otherwise.

27 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Why would I have them otherwise? I want to be surrounded in all my stuff, I want to look at them and smell them, touch them. Just like I need to touch and play my records, or make setups and yes actually play with my old toys. There's no point in having having any of it otherwise.

exactly if you dont wanna hold stuff and its just an investment buy stocks-

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

Mmmmm, the smell of a bronze age comic is nothing to be sniffed at.

1 minute ago, Octavius said:

Mmmmm, the smell of a bronze age comic is nothing to be sniffed at.

Meanwhile the smell of a modern book like America makes me want to hurl-