• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 San Diego Comic Con

66 posts in this topic

I attended my first con in 1978 at the ripe old age of 13, and remember it very fondly.  And I suppose to me it felt the same way that it did to my earlier counterparts in fandom who attended their first cons during the glory days of the '60s and early '70s. 

John Keats said it better than I ever could:

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
    When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
    He stared at the Pacific—and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise—
    Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

Or, to paraphrase Mitch...there was a palpable sense that something special was happening or going to happen.

My point is simply that such a feeling is not confined to any particular era nor con nor age nor setting nor place nor books. 

The wonder and endless possibility of first love is what it is, no matter when nor where it's kindled or found.

Somewhere out there and right now, there is an oddball misfit kid (of any age or gender) who is (or will be, after this present difficulty) attending their first con, and who is looking for a certain book or class of books that many of us couldn't give a damn about.

But when it is found, among an un-guessed and unexpected embarrassment of riches which a con presents...oh what a feeling!

The good old days are now...for someone!  :)

Edited by jools&jim

4 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Somewhere out there and right now, there is an oddball misfit kid (of any age or gender) who is (or will be, after this present difficulty) attending their first con, and who is looking for a certain book or class of books that many of us couldn't give a damn about.

But when it is found, among an un-guessed and unexpected embarrassment or riches which a con presents...oh what a feeling!

Very true.  At the first comic mart I went to, here in England in the late 70s, I bought Conan 25 to 40 or so, pence copies, really nice condition, immediately on entering - and that was it for the day, no more money to spend.  Too enthusiastic.  Nothing really that special even back then, but nice to be able to continue on after completing the BWS run. The one big difference between then and now, for me, is that I tend to forget that the events used to stink of nicotine and cigarette smoke in those confined rooms.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I had hopes of buying this but, given the status of what is happening in the world, I dont think I will be getting across the border to pick up any items any time soon sooo if anyone here is interested, this program from the 1975 con is up for sale with some sweet signatures. Jim Starlin, Stan Lee, what appears to be Howard Chaykin, Moores, Gil Kane, Frank Brunner, George Clayton Johnson, Jim Steranko, Russ Manning, Ray Bradbury, Bob Clampett, Will Eisner, I believe Sergio Aragones, and then con organizer Shel Dorf. The seller confirmed that there is no Kirby signature (which is why I was initially very intrigued in case his was there) but there are some others, however I have not gotten a response back onto those.

Just thought I would post here since its a nice piece someone may be wanting :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Program-Autographed-By-Stan-Lee-Shel-Dorf-And-More/283810108379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by comicginger1789

Two years before my first SDCC or I'd probably be more interested.  It is a super cool item and the sigs are from the pre "gouge" for sigs era where artists and celebs signed for free. 

My first con was a very small one at CSUS Sacramento in 1977-had maybe 20 people attending.  Guests were Sergio Aragones, Trina Robbins, and the GA Daredevil artist.  There was a table with stacks of OA-Starlin, Kirby, Adams, Smith and what not.  The Daredevil artist also had stacks of pages.  No one was even mildly interested in them or the GA artist.   What a gold mine was there but no one cared, including me.

Edited by kav