• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I enjoy comics: great panels, dialogue etc...
3 3

100 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Thankfully we're in the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies, because it's very difficult to find a 21st century title with great art and writing (IMO).

Yes, art is a "hit and miss": sometimes excellent, sometimes embarassingly bordering the totally amateurish.
Stories… well, "superhero writers fear drama" someone synthetized in an article, and I entirely agree: stories reached a maturity, intensity and complexity under the Comics Code.
Now that they are “free” to write without worrying (?) about an intended audience… well, they do not know how to portrait life, so they just do… entertainment?

3 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I have never been a Broderick fan but damn, that's a nice page

«Writer J. M. DeMatteis and Broderick created the Creature Commandos in Weird War Tales #93 (November 1980).[7] In 1981, he abruptly left Marvel for DC.[8] As he said in a 2003 interview, "Jim Shooter had all but informed me that, in his opinion, my art sucked and that I would never get another raise there, regardless of how well my books were selling. So one quick phone call to DC and I was in."»
(from the Wikipedia entry of Broderick – Shooter, Shooter… my theories find confirmation more and more each day it passes…)

3 minutes ago, vaillant said:

«Writer J. M. DeMatteis and Broderick created the Creature Commandos in Weird War Tales #93 (November 1980).[7] In 1981, he abruptly left Marvel for DC.[8] As he said in a 2003 interview, "Jim Shooter had all but informed me that, in his opinion, my art sucked and that I would never get another raise there, regardless of how well my books were selling. So one quick phone call to DC and I was in."»
(from the Wikipedia entry of Broderick – Shooter, Shooter… my theories find confirmation more and more each day it passes…)

I can see Shooter's point his anatomy was pretty bad.  He hid it with great special effects and solid backgrounds though.

22679ad393a8cbad7d7e111273ad809b.jpg

Just now, kav said:

I can see Shooter's point his anatomy was pretty bad.  He hid it with great special effects and solid backgrounds though.

It was more a consideration on Shooter general choices – which gave start to entirely new dynamics (not always good) rather than his evaluation of the art (I doubt he has said "it sucks" to Broderick, using these precise words: but hey, even if he was polite maybe it was just a matter to encourage Broderick to improve). Anyway, if the Micronaut inks are by Broderick, I loved his old style. Is that possible that he draw (or inked) entire Captain Marvel episodes before The Micronauts?

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I have a similar story. Born in the late 70's, grew up in the 80's with Art Adams and his progeny. Kirby looked so WEIRD to me, I just did not get it.

When I was 19, I started working at a comic shop, and the comic buyer there mentored me, and flipped those switches in my brain. I've been a devoted Kirby fan ever since.

These are a couple of the images that cracked the code for me:

Yep same for me.  Hated kirby-at age 55 I got some Thors and was immediately hooked then gathered as much kirby as I could-all the Thors i could afford, FF reprints, 4th world, demon kamandi etc.

12 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

354479_900.jpg

Amazing Adventures #5 - Gene Colan got me hooked on his rendition of Black Widow.  First saw this in one of the Treasury Sized Holiday Grabbag when I was a kid.

not generally a Colan fan but he knocked those outta the park.

11 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

354479_900.jpg

Amazing Adventures #5 - Gene Colan got me hooked on his rendition of Black Widow.  First saw this in one of the Treasury Sized Holiday Grabbag when I was a kid.

Wonderful and that’s what I mean by "mature", complex, engaging characters and stories.
No "sexploitation", just great women (and men) in their adventures, and the quality of artwork matched that.

3 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Wonderful and that’s what I mean by "mature", complex, engaging characters and stories.
No "sexploitation", just great women (and men) in their adventures, and the quality of artwork matched that.

This what moderns lack.  with few exceptions like brubaker/phillips the writers seem to learn writing from watching sitcoms.  Blechh

5 minutes ago, kav said:

This what moderns lack.  with few exceptions like brubaker/phillips the writers seem to learn writing from watching sitcoms.  Blechh

Way worse: it’s like learning to write when your parents were a generation watching sitcoms… LOL
(with maybe the added "malus" that in the end some writer do not even seem to care).

15 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Way worse: it’s like learning to write when your parents were a generation watching sitcoms… LOL
(with maybe the added "malus" that in the end some writer do not even seem to care).

it's gross whatever it is.  even worse is when they write stories based on them and their friends like the excreble America by Gabby Rivers.  The first thing I was taught in writing class is DONT WRITE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS!!