• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,644 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How did you find out about it? Every time I go to yard sales, I only find old clothes and other

the posting said 80s 90s comics which is interesting to me but im not going unless it's close.. I happened to be very close by in the area.. so it's low risk high reward situation.. Craigslist is where I found the ad in the garage sales moving section

7 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Are the glasses inside? Also make sure it's not a reproduction. There is one in the ebay sold listings. 1997 reprint. Likely that one. Still cool though.

The original was somewhat larger than regular comic book dimensions IIRC; sold mine a while ago. @SkOw would know by looking at this pic, I think.

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:

Are the glasses inside? Also make sure it's not a reproduction. There is one in the ebay sold listings. 1997 reprint. Likely that one. Still cool though.

That is absolutely the 1997 reprint and not the 1953 original.

EDIT: FYI, these are really easy to tell apart. The original is somewhat wider than a modern comic book and has a lighter background color. But, far more obviously than that, it also has a 25 cent cover price, below the title at the right. The reprint was a pack-in with Superman Red/Superman Blue and so does not have a cover price.

Edited by Qalyar

17 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Yea its probably a reprint, i havent checked but i thought it looked cool

The original for reference, both on its own and with a regular sized book on top of it.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I got the Batman out of a dollar bin or less about 15 years ago.  Missing the centerfold, as so many copies of that issue are, but still glad to have it.

Superman_3d.jpg

Superman_3d_Compare.jpg

On 7/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Qalyar said:
On 7/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, maidenmate91 said:

That is absolutely the 1997 reprint and not the 1953 original.

EDIT: FYI, these are really easy to tell apart. The original is somewhat wider than a modern comic book and has a lighter background color. But, far more obviously than that, it also has a 25 cent cover price, below the title at the right. The reprint was a pack-in with Superman Red/Superman Blue and so does not have a cover price.

Edited yesterday at 12:04 AM by Qalyar

@jsilverjanet :baiting:

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

That 34 and 35 are very hard to find in newsstand.
Thats a great find.

Not newsstand, but still the first time I have found 34 and 35 in the "wild" (i.e. digging). I have found a couple copies priced accordingly.

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That 34 and 35 are very hard to find in newsstand.
Thats a great find.

Yea, those are a great find regardless in a cheapo bin!  I got those issues some years back in a $1 bin in nice shape and got almost $100 for 32-35 I think?