• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

I still see people claiming Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 is the first black costume, even though it came out 7 months after Amazing Spider-Man #252, more than 35 years ago.  People never let facts get in the way of hyping a book for sale.

It may have come out first but SW 8 is the 1st appearance of the black suit.  Spidey went looking for a machine to replace his clothes and he got more then he was bargaining for.  I'll always consider SR 8 the first appearance of the black suit regardless of the time table of when the books came out.

57 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It may have come out first but SW 8 is the 1st appearance of the black suit.  Spidey went looking for a machine to replace his clothes and he got more then he was bargaining for.  I'll always consider SR 8 the first appearance of the black suit regardless of the time table of when the books came out.

Do you mean origin?

17 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Do you mean origin?

That too.  I realize this is a weird situation where there was a couple comics published prior to the suit being even introduced (I remember being confused when it came out and really wanting to know what was up with the black suit).  I know I don't have a very stable position to stand on since it is the 1st appearance in terms of time of publishing date but I kind of consider ASM 252 and MTU 141 as premature jumpers in line and SW 8 gets its due from me.  Plus I like the cover better :)

Edited by 1Cool

8 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Got about 30 sonics from a 50 cent box.  Also got a pair of DCU upc books I didn't have yet, and a dozen or so 30 cent archies.

123.jpg

Good find....I was in a dollar bin yesterday and there was teenager digging for Sonics..... He gave me the breakdown.... 

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Sonic used to be a tremendous seller for me years go.
I haven't sold any in at least 3 or 4 years now. 
Do the lower print issues still sell well?

Justice League Europe 33 is a slow as molasses seller 

5 hours ago, littledoom said:
7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Sonic used to be a tremendous seller for me years go.
I haven't sold any in at least 3 or 4 years now. 
Do the lower print issues still sell well?

Justice League Europe 33 is a slow as molasses seller 

There was alot of dust up about that book for awhile too. Some sellers were taking that insert out and 
sending it to CGC trying to get it past them I remember. 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, 1Cool said:

That too.  I realize this is a weird situation where there was a couple comics published prior to the suit being even introduced (I remember being confused when it came out and really wanting to know what was up with the black suit).  I know I don't have a very stable position to stand on since it is the 1st appearance in terms of time of publishing date but I kind of consider ASM 252 and MTU 141 as premature jumpers in line and SW 8 gets its due from me.  Plus I like the cover better :)

Kinda like the Gambit deal, huh? Definition of time be damned! Which one has the cooler cover? I choose that!

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

And you left them?!?

Some of us like to just leave extra copies of stuff like that for others to find once we have our copies.  The cutoff on that would vary depending on how in demand the book is, of course.

Thrift/Antique store had a comic section with a buy more save more kind of deal.... Ended picking up a bunch of comics for less than a dollar each.... This is a few of them.

Daredevil and Captain America were mainly because of the cover artwork.

Spider-Woman I'll definitely read at some point. These seem to be something that ran along side a TV show or DVD series which ended around #7 I think. Artwork inside is kind of meh....

The Harleys I thought were cool.... I always like this Harley as opposed to the Suicide Squad movie version though it's hard to argue the sex appeal of the newer version....

DSC_0977(1)(1).jpg

1 hour ago, Will96 said:

Not sure what the Aliens 3 are.... newstand, direct.... No barcode

That Alien 3 miniseries only exists as a direct market book. Still, nice picks. The 1988 series is always nice to see, and the 2009 newsstands are pretty darn elusive.

52 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

That Alien 3 miniseries only exists as a direct market book. Still, nice picks. The 1988 series is always nice to see, and the 2009 newsstands are pretty darn elusive.

Thanks. I was thinking direct with no upc, but wasn't sure...Yes, I was pretty surprised to find the 1988 series sitting in there.... The #2s are in great condition but the #3 has a bit of a crease...