• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
10 10

1,681 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How did you find out about it? Every time I go to yard sales, I only find old clothes and other

the posting said 80s 90s comics which is interesting to me but im not going unless it's close.. I happened to be very close by in the area.. so it's low risk high reward situation.. Craigslist is where I found the ad in the garage sales moving section

7 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Are the glasses inside? Also make sure it's not a reproduction. There is one in the ebay sold listings. 1997 reprint. Likely that one. Still cool though.

The original was somewhat larger than regular comic book dimensions IIRC; sold mine a while ago. @SkOw would know by looking at this pic, I think.

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:

Are the glasses inside? Also make sure it's not a reproduction. There is one in the ebay sold listings. 1997 reprint. Likely that one. Still cool though.

That is absolutely the 1997 reprint and not the 1953 original.

EDIT: FYI, these are really easy to tell apart. The original is somewhat wider than a modern comic book and has a lighter background color. But, far more obviously than that, it also has a 25 cent cover price, below the title at the right. The reprint was a pack-in with Superman Red/Superman Blue and so does not have a cover price.

Edited by Qalyar

17 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Yea its probably a reprint, i havent checked but i thought it looked cool

The original for reference, both on its own and with a regular sized book on top of it.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I got the Batman out of a dollar bin or less about 15 years ago.  Missing the centerfold, as so many copies of that issue are, but still glad to have it.

Superman_3d.jpg

Superman_3d_Compare.jpg

On 7/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Qalyar said:
On 7/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, maidenmate91 said:

That is absolutely the 1997 reprint and not the 1953 original.

EDIT: FYI, these are really easy to tell apart. The original is somewhat wider than a modern comic book and has a lighter background color. But, far more obviously than that, it also has a 25 cent cover price, below the title at the right. The reprint was a pack-in with Superman Red/Superman Blue and so does not have a cover price.

Edited yesterday at 12:04 AM by Qalyar

@jsilverjanet :baiting:

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

That 34 and 35 are very hard to find in newsstand.
Thats a great find.

Not newsstand, but still the first time I have found 34 and 35 in the "wild" (i.e. digging). I have found a couple copies priced accordingly.

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That 34 and 35 are very hard to find in newsstand.
Thats a great find.

Yea, those are a great find regardless in a cheapo bin!  I got those issues some years back in a $1 bin in nice shape and got almost $100 for 32-35 I think?