• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Showcase 8... EDIT: the grade is in... new post...

19 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Though a technical 4.0, the exceptionally rare, newsstand fresh colors and absence of any stains may edge this up to 4.5

Stain in the bottom left front cover.  Not sure if that's a tape stain or a dust shadow...

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

VG+ (thumbsu

Have you noticed that for some reason I can't quite fathom, so many of these 8s look like they were left out in the sun for decades? I've seen very few with this level of bright emerald green. Not only that, but even the rare time you come across one of these in Fine or better with great colors, there always seems to be a tide-lined stain, usually on the lower left of the front cover. I've seen at least 5 of them like that over the past couple of decades. Like as if there's a drip somewhere in a comic collector's home and someone said, "Do you have a Showcase 8 we can put under here til' I fix the leak?". "Oh sure. What was I thinking? Let me run upstairs and get it". :whee:

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Have you noticed that for some reason I can't quite fathom, so many of these 8s look like they were left out in the sun for decades? I've seen very few with this level of bright emerald green. Not only that, but even the rare time you come across one of these in Fine or better with great colors, there always seems to be a tide-lined stain, usually on the lower left of the front cover. I've seen at least 5 of them like that over the past couple of decades. Like as if there's a drip somewhere in a comic collector's home and someone said, "Do you have a Showcase 8 we can put under here til' I fix the leak?". "Oh sure. What was I thinking? Let me run upstairs and get it". :whee:

but i don't think CGC factors faded comics much into the grade ..??

i have seen plenty of Adventure #247 with washed out colors get the same grade as not if they are structually the same...

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

but i don't think CGC factors faded comics much into the grade ..??

i have seen plenty of Adventure #247 with washed out colors get the same grade as not if they are structually the same...

247s; true. Lots of those around with all the cover blues turned to light gray and pale orange instead of reds. Same with Showcase 14 and Action 242. Those cover purples run the gamut from badly faded lavender to bright, newsstand deep plum purple.

IMO, CGC does factor it in, not as much as hard defect, actual wear and tear, but a ding in the overall grade. I've seen boatloads of faded CGC graded JIM 83s that looked to be technically better than the grade aside from the fade, as if that did play a minor factor in the overall grade.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:52 PM, JollyComics said:

The book looks appeal and has a nice cover (most of them are in crappy/crumby condition). Your book is VG+ 4.5 to VG/FN 5.0

You, sir, are the only one who nailed it. Came back as a 5.0!!!! Never have I been more happy to be wrong. LOL ;)

4 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

That is a fantastic book.  Was it ever cleaned and pressed while you had it...before grading?  Congrats!!

No sir... its flaws didn’t seem to me the type that pressing would address. 

EDIT: Oh, and here's the scan...

Showcase8.thumb.jpg.6de7e299abfd515ac070008f29f36503.jpg

Edited by oldrover