• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Golden Age photo book by Gerber?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Greetings! I have heard people on the boards mention a book or guide loaded with lots of photographs of Golden Age books, pre-code stuff, etc.  where the "blank spot" or "no show" books were listed as well. Can anyone give me the exact title of this book and where I might find a copy? I did a search and it seemed many other books popped up, but not this one...

Thanks for your input!

5 minutes ago, AuthorJMR said:

Greetings! I have heard people on the boards mention a book or guide loaded with lots of photographs of Golden Age books, pre-code stuff, etc.  where the "blank spot" or "no show" books were listed as well. Can anyone give me the exact title of this book and where I might find a copy? I did a search and it seemed many other books popped up, but not this one...

Thanks for your input!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=gerber+guide+to+comics&_sacat=66

33 minutes ago, AuthorJMR said:

Thank you, skypinkblu! I looked and looked, and all sorts of similar ones popped up but not this one.

You are welcome, if you don't put in the right name, you get all kinds of weird stuff.

Just a few pointers, there are 2 volumes, so don't take the ones with only one...and for some reason the ones on ebay seem much more expensive than they've been lately. I think they must have been reissued and they were pretty cheap for a while, check out the bargain sites and Amazon.

May I ask a follow-up question:

What's the best (easiest) way to get the Gerber White Space stickers all at once? Is there a way? 

I have a few issues of "Comic Book Marketplace" with stickers in them but I'm not planning to buy all the issues with stickers and I wouldn't know which to look for or if they were all published in the magazine in the first place.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yes!  I still have Photo-Journals for sale!

Golden Age Set (Vol 1 & 2): $115

Marvel Set (Vol 3 & 4): $50 

All four volumes: $160 

All books are new and unread. There might be some minor bumps and wear. The dust jackets on the Marvel sets have some wrinkling from where the clear plastic coating is delaminating though. However, I will send the best volumes I have!

Full refund within 14 days after delivery if you're not satisfied.

S/H in the lower 48 States: $9 for the first volume and $4 each additional one

PayPal, Check, M.O. and Credit Cards O.K.

Ships from Colorado via FedEx Ground so, no P.O. Boxes please.

PM me with questions or for S/H outside lower 48.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Pickie said:

May I ask a follow-up question:

What's the best (easiest) way to get the Gerber White Space stickers all at once? Is there a way? 

I have a few issues of "Comic Book Marketplace" with stickers in them but I'm not planning to buy all the issues with stickers and I wouldn't know which to look for or if they were all published in the magazine in the first place.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I think you have to buy the issues they were in...or make your own by copying the images at MyComicShop.com  They seem to have almost all comic book covers on their website...and if not, a google search will show you most of the others.

10 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I think you have to buy the issues they were in...or make your own by copying the images at MyComicShop.com  They seem to have almost all comic book covers on their website...and if not, a google search will show you most of the others.

Thank you, you're right, of course. I could print out the missing images from internet sources ...

It's just so that I'd rather have the original stickers. It's like completing a sticker album ... :blush:

1 hour ago, Pickie said:

Thank you, you're right, of course. I could print out the missing images from internet sources ...

It's just so that I'd rather have the original stickers. It's like completing a sticker album ... :blush:

Great idea, but are you sure you'd prefer the missing images? There's another option, adding real "no shows" to your collection.  The solution is simple: Just leave the Gerber "no show" panels blank, track down the missing books and negotiate adding them to your collection. That's what I did with my PRIZE!  Of coarse, I never said it would be easy!  :insane:

4eb8efe2-9496-44ec-864e-0067f3fbf79d_zps 

Edited by Cat-Man_America

So I just did the search again and here's the site about the "unseen gold" with one remaining question mark ("Funnies #22"). 

http://comicrestoration.freeservers.com/feature_unseengold.htm 

Then there's information on these boards about the original stickers being published in CBM Special Editions #2 - 5 (Sets 1, 4 - 6) and in CBM #74 (Set 2) and #75 (Set 3).

So the original sticker sets wouldn't cover all the white spaces (of existing books) anyway, I guess, due to some more recent discoveries.

I think I'll proceed with occasionally purchasing the few missing CBMs.

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Great idea, but are you sure you'd prefer the missing images? There's another option, adding real "no shows" to your collection.  The solution is simple: Just leave the Gerber "no show" panels blank, track down the missing books and negotiate adding them to your collection. That's what I did with my PRIZE!  Of coarse, I never said it would be easy!  :insane:

4eb8efe2-9496-44ec-864e-0067f3fbf79d_zps 

A true prize for sure! Congrats!