• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these?

25 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, kav said:

These appear to be 70s version of underground tijuana bibles

I did observe under magnification a small amount of paper under the staple that led me to believe that the covers have been removed, thus anything to identify them. The insides are all infringements of Flintstones, Archie, Snow White, etc etc.  So yes the 70s Tijuana Bibles sounds like it

48 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Adult content! 

Missed that.  Not paying attention.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I bought a large collection once with a large underground comix subset within it. Among those was an early '70's book that contained Tijuana bible-style infringements on popular strip characters. I cannot think of its title, but I can dig it out later when the kids go to bed. There were two volumes; I have one.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Andy Capp is an old British newspaper strip.

Andy Capp also used to be a regular color comic in our Sunday paper section in Los Angeles area in the '70's. 

7 minutes ago, Senormac said:
5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Andy Capp is an old British newspaper strip.

Andy Capp also used to be a regular color comic in our Sunday paper section in Los Angeles area in the '70's. 

Dallas in the a 80's, I used to go to a diner with my dad and he'd get a tea and I'd get a hot chocolate. I'd always read the funnies in the newspaper, which had andy cap, while my dad would read the sports page...

I remember Andy cap enough that in high school in the 90s when I got the munchies, I ate "Hot Fry's" with Andy Cap on the bag.

He definitely wasn't a regular, but he was around....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

38 minutes ago, Senormac said:

He was in the Eugene Registered Turd when I was a kid...

10 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Awesome detective work. This customer has been to several shops and has no idea what he has. It will be nice to add some closure to his long drawn out search. These are definitely them. Thanks

10 hours ago, Senormac said:

I’m surprised.  I would never have thought that the strip had any international appeal.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Here's the one I was thinking of, but they changed his name to Dandy Clapp inside, so this may not be it. Amazingly, therefore, it's a not a one-off either. 

I recognize the likenesses of some of these like Nancy and Dagwood - can someone identify these?

On 11/24/2018 at 7:16 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I’m surprised.  I would never have thought that the strip had any international appeal.

I loved it growing up in NJ. Flo loved him but poor Andy Capp could never get it going. Unless he was at the pub chasing skirts!

12 minutes ago, Bird said:
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:16 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I loved it growing up in NJ. Flo loved him but poor Andy Capp could never get it going. Unless he was at the pub chasing skirts!

I kinda remember him being just a guy who was always at the bar, talking with somebody next to him mostly.