• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frankenstein #20
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I am considering buying this book as it is on my wanted list (love Frankenstein and Briefer's artwork). Unfortunately I only have the cover to go with and a mention of off-white pages. Wondering what members here think for a grade?

getPart-35.jpg

Edited by Cushing Fan

It's a book we'd all like to own, but I would wait for a better copy. It looks like it's had water / moisture damage to me and I'd be surprised if it graded higher than 2.0. A much better looking copy sold on the boards back in July. As great as the cover is, that damage is quite off putting. Hold out for a better one CF. :foryou:

I'd agree with 2.0. Also with the water damage... have a few of those from a stash acquired from my attorney BIL as part of an estate sale. And they can look like this.

But I don't necessarily agree with avoiding it if your major worry would be resale... in my experience selling the water damage books, it really depends on what book it is. A non-key will take a big hit. But a key IMHO will hold its value. I'd wanna see that back cover, though. If there's water damage on the back, then you can just assume there are stains throughout and act accordingly price/offer-wise. Just my 2 cents... if it's even worth that. LOL :)

Edited by oldrover
Added the word can

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I'd agree with 2.0. Also with the water damage... have a few of those from a stash acquired from my attorney BIL as part of an estate sale. And they look like this.

But I don't necessarily agree with avoiding it if your major worry would be resale... in my experience selling the water damage books, it really depends on what book it is. A non-key will take a big hit. But a key IMHO will hold its value. I'd wanna see that back cover, though. If there's water damage on the back, then you can just assume there are stains throughout and act accordingly price/offer-wise. Just my 2 cents... if it's even worth that. LOL :)

My view was to avoid it because the water damage - if thats what it is - could eat away at the eye appeal and ultimately detract from the love of the cover. If I was buying to keep it, due to a love of the cover, I'd want a cleaner copy. And that advice is worth two pence, so after conversion it's worth more :)

Spoiler

I'm kidding oldrover :grin:

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Apropos of nothing, I looked on eBay to see if it was there...  and found this great alternative for $7.95...      :devil:

Frankenstein #20 Photocopy Book LOL

The kicker? Check the back cover...the book he photocopied it from...

s-l1600.jpg

...had water damage. LOL

:eek: