• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney decision on Star Wars Franchise

56 posts in this topic

So...it turns out that Rian Johnson's forthcoming Star Wars trilogy and Game of Throne showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss's Star Wars trilogy is one and the same.

Should cause some sigh of relief among TLJ haters that Johnson is now merely directing from other writers' scripts.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-direct-old-republic-trilogy/

(Or...are we still not trusting Screen Rant as a source?)

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...it turns out that Rian Johnson's forthcoming Star Wars trilogy and Game of Throne showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss's Star Wars trilogy is one and the same.

Should cause some sigh of relief among TLJ haters that Johnson is now merely directing from other writers' scripts.

Wasn't this always the case (of him directing and the GoT guys being writers)?

I still won't see them if he's directing. I'll never see another movie directed by that nerf herder.

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-direct-old-republic-trilogy/

(Or...are we still not trusting Screen Rant as a source?)

Not sure that should be cause for relief. There was an obvious and precipitous decline in the writing on GoT once they ran out of material to adapt from the books. 

Edited by october

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Wasn't this always the case (of him directing and the GoT guys being writers)?

I still won't see them if he's directing. I'll never see another movie directed by that nerf herder.

No.

Until this report, it was understood that these were two separate original trilogies being developed simultaneously. With Rian Johnson returning to write/direct one, and Benioff/Weiss writing another (w/ directors TBD).

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

No.

Until this report, it was understood that these were two separate original trilogies being developed simultaneously. With Rian Johnson returning to write/direct one, and Benioff/Weiss writing another (w/ directors TBD).

O I C.

6 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Turns out it was an April Fool's joke - both trilogies are still happening, but they're not connected.

In other words, despite all the drama queen meltdowns, and online sabotage and whining like little babies, Rian Johnson is doing not one, but three more Star Wars movies. 

Your prediction - Johnson's are better or worse than Lucas' prequels?  Better being a relative term of course. 

Being the betting man that I am, I'm actually inclined to say better.  The Last Jedi was actually well premised, just horribly executed.  I-III are just bad in every facet.

23 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

George Lucas wrote and directed THREE crappy Star Wars movies (Episode 1-3) and people still continued to come out for THOSE movies.

I fell asleep in a theatre watching Episode I: The Phantom Menace and it really turned me off on Star Wars until Star Wars: The Force Awakens brought me back.

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Your prediction - Johnson's are better or worse than Lucas' prequels?  Better being a relative term of course. 

Being the betting man that I am, I'm actually inclined to say better.  The Last Jedi was actually well premised, just horribly executed.  I-III are just bad in every facet.

I actually think that, with less of the rigid demands and silly expectations of the main story (and it's equally dotard fans), it'll be easier for him to create something good. Lucas' prequels are really kind of embarrassing, and it's weird that he's just given a pass on all of it. Time heals a lot of wounds I guess. I mean... at the time, there WAS quite an uproar over Jar Jar Binks, but that was just one glaring blemish on a pimply butt of a movie.

I think RJ has a better chance of making a good Star Wars movie/s if he can control the story from beginning to end. He clearly could not follow the beat of JJ in terms of story flow and tone.  The only stuff that I’ve seen from him are his BB episodes but none of his films so I would go into a new trilogy (sans Skywalker) with an open mind.  

38 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

I think RJ has a better chance of making a good Star Wars movie/s if he can control the story from beginning to end. He clearly could not follow the beat of JJ in terms of story flow and tone.  The only stuff that I’ve seen from him are his BB episodes but none of his films so I would go into a new trilogy (sans Skywalker) with an open mind.  

Brick and Looper are both outstanding. Particularly considering how new a talent he was with both of these.

I've said it before, but the forthcoming Brightburn looks like a dumber, full-length version of just one aspect of Looper's third act.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

If we could have the Star Wars movies without the Star Wars fans, life would be a lot more fun.

Not all Star Wars fans as most are cool. It is just that certain male segment that also tried to dog Black Panther, Captain Marvel and the new Doctor Who. 

:wink: