• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,236 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2024 at 2:33 AM, CentaurMan said:
On 7/1/2024 at 2:18 AM, adamstrange said:

I believe that I perused the volume that contained them as they were part of Geppi's vast library of bound volumes.  Cover colors were incredible!

Yeah, I owned the Church copies of some of those books, and when October & I compared them to these bound copies, we basically agreed that the center-right of the bound covers were comparable in color, shine, and brightness.

But the spines… oh well (shrug)

That's the trade-off--the good news about books in a bound volume is they could be preserved perfectly, but the bad news is that they were in a bound volume.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 4:15 AM, CentaurMan said:

I sold my entire Centaur run privately to a collector.  Whether they still have it or not is an open question, but I haven’t seen any of the key books for sale since then, so I suspect that they do.

That's interesting and good to know that your entire Centaur run might still actually be intact in the hands of a private collector.  (thumbsu

The only other long time collector that I know who were interested in the Centaur books was Steve Carey, but I highly doubt that he would have a complete Centaur run.  (shrug)

I still remember working with you on the trade for the Comic Pages 3 as that was one of your last few missing Centaurs at the time.  Looking back now, I clearly made a bone headed decision by not going for your low grade restored copy of 'Tec 18 with the classic Fu Manchu cover.  :luhv:  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/30/2024 at 8:31 AM, CentaurMan said:

Those are mine.  Really nice for the other structural 90% of each book (but for the spines); good pages, bright covers, etc.  Untrimmed (unlike most bound copies).  They’d be solid 5.0-7.0 copies otherwise, and some of those issues are impossibly rare.

I imagine that this copy of AMF V2 #1 would be a perfect example of an impossibly rare issue with this one here being the 3rd highest graded out of a total of only 6 graded copies to this point in time:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/amazing-mystery-funnies-v2-1-centaur-1939-cgc-gd-25-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/122427-11074.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-dailystatus

Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#1 (Centaur, 1939) CGC GD+ 2.5 Light tan to off-white pages....

Have always loved the absolutely stunning bright colors on this particular issue, but being the cheapo budget collector that I tend to be, just couldn't justify going any higher once it crossed the $2K threshold.  Clearly a book where you can throw out the guide as it finished up at $2,640 or over 9X condition guide value.  :applause:

Notcied that the Heritage PR machine said there were 23 out of the 24 issues of the AMF run in this auction today.  Makes me wonder if the missing final 24th issue (i.e. AMF V2 #2) with the classic cover is a keeper for you or simply an issue where you was unable to find a second copy?  hm

Speaking of rarity, did you ever do up one of your Windex Scarcity Index for the Amazing Mystery Funnies run, similar to what you had done and posted here for some of the Fox titles?  If so, it would definitely be interesting to see as I was always a fan of your various Windex Scarcity Index ratings.  (thumbsu 

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 4:13 AM, CentaurMan said:
On 6/29/2024 at 7:00 PM, woowoo said:

Action #7 what grade is the Larson?

Not sure, probably around an 8.5?  Here’s the book:

action7 2.jpg

An absolutely stunning copy of a much in demand Supes book and quite possibly destined to be one of the highest graded copies since the current census topper are two CGC 8.0 graded copies.  :jawdrop:

Absolutely no surprise at all that this book would be one of your keepers as I imagine it would be virtually impossible for any true collector to let such a rare and HTF beauty go.  :luhv:  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Having just sent off 80% of my collection, I held back a few books too(nothing as world class as this Action 7), and I’m here to tell you guys, when your time comes (and it comes for us all), you will still feel a void. But it’ll be ok. It’s the circle of life.

I hope you kept your Mask 1 (thumbsu

On 7/1/2024 at 3:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Having just sent off 80% of my collection, I held back a few books too(nothing as world class as this Action 7), and I’m here to tell you guys, when your time comes (and it comes for us all), you will still feel a void. But it’ll be ok. It’s the circle of life.

:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::deadhorse::deadhorse::headpat::headpat::ohnoez::ohnoez::facepalm::tonofbricks::cry::691460725_armsraised::bigsmile: Yup at 61 building a collection is not in my future but comics are great. 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:28 AM, woowoo said:

:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint::deadhorse::deadhorse::headpat::headpat::ohnoez::ohnoez::facepalm::tonofbricks::cry::691460725_armsraised::bigsmile: Yup at 61 building a collection is not in my future but comics are great. 

It seems like a lot of guys leave the hobby around age 65 or so, but we have guys here who are over 61 and still buying. (I just turned 50, so I can hear my collector clock ticking, but it's ticking softly for now.)

On 7/1/2024 at 4:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

When are yours coming up for auction?

On 7/1/2024 at 3:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hey Clark;

Sorry to hear that your comic collecting days are winding down to a close, at least from a purchasing POV.  Totally understand since I am also clearly sliding down on the far right hand side of the collecting life cycle myself.  Then again, my better half constantly says that I should have fallen right off the collecting life cycle chart years ago, if not decades ago.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Actually, I thought you took this journey down to this void already a few years ago when you was talking about downsizing to only 7 books or so for your keepers.  If so, then just maybe you'll be back to shovelling more books to fill in this void sooner than you think.  :takeit:  lol

On 7/1/2024 at 6:57 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Dean you have a good memory. A few years ago, I tried evolving from “buy” to “hold” mode, but with only limited success. Few are able to quit smoking their first try and comic collecting is like that.  

Clark what you got that I want buddy. I want a piece of the lost my mind collection. Just joking Buddy, you have been a great CGC boards buddy I really appreciate what you did for me on Marvel Mystery 2 we all need more people in this hobby like you.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 7:15 AM, CentaurMan said:

I sold my entire Centaur run privately to a collector.  Whether they still have it or not is an open question, but I haven’t seen any of the key books for sale since then, so I suspect that they do.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:21 AM, lou_fine said:

That's interesting and good to know that your entire Centaur run might still actually be intact in the hands of a private collector.  (thumbsu

Speaking of that, pretty sure I came in 2nd on the post-bound AMF's v2 #'s 4 3.5 and 6 3.5 on last nights HA auction. I think 3rd on the V2 #1 2.5. I really wanted the 4 or 6. I would have tried a little harder on each but I got a real strong vibe I was going up against someone who was planning on getting them all and wasn't going to quit. When the bids are moving quickly it's usually multiple bidders. When each one is going down to the last second each bid, good chance it's one bidder you're doing battle with. So maybe one person got the majority of the post-bound books as well. 

I think all the pre Phantom of the Fair covers went a little cheap though. 

Edited by Professor K

On 7/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A few years ago, I tried evolving from “buy” to “hold” mode, but with only limited success. Few are able to quit smoking their first try and comic collecting is like that.  

I was able to pretty much stop buying comics, but all I ended up doing was redirecting my energy (and money) into OA. :facepalm: