• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
22 22

4,346 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2024 at 5:31 PM, Telegan said:

Highest grade on the census

image.thumb.png.d1da3a9d7847f6fd9f240a4d6ba57108.png

image.gif.1ee5e6c170cd9c5391965bf99547d293.gif

On 10/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, batman_fan said:

Crazy price !

Yes, although the fact that it's the highest graded copy to date plus that it's also a pedigree copy, albeit a weak pedigree at that, might help to explain the super strong price that it managed to achieve.  hm  (shrug)

Looks like Baker classic covers must still be going pretty red hot as evident by this result from only a couple of short weekends ago:  :o

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/seven-seas-comics-4-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7379-91122.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Seven Seas Comics #4 (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages....

Although clearly not the highest graded copy, probably still a record price at $31,200 or almost 5X condition guide for a CGC 7.5 graded copy.  :applause:

I purchased 6 Police Comic books (only one slabbed) from the Ruben Blades collection.  I'm going to call them "pedigrees" to fill in open spots on my Police Comic Pedigree run.  Ruben seems like a "real" collector, in so far as that at least with the Police Comics he wasn't to concerned about grade. 

pol1-787.jpg

On 10/4/2024 at 7:35 AM, ThothAmon said:

Was hoping to get a Ruben pre Bat Detective but high price/time of ending foiled that plan. Happy to get a few books that stayed under the radar. 

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

I'm going to guess it was Tec 35. I was hoping to grab it but yeah, prices. That Confessions Illustrated you got is awesome. 

On 10/3/2024 at 8:44 PM, Professor K said:

You gotta wait a couple of minutes before grabbing a screenshot. :makepoint:

Opera Snapshot_2024-10-03_224234_www.comicconnect.com.png

The real challenges with Green Giant 1 is

#1 Actually real tough to find

#2 Super cool cover.  As a kid, would you be able to pass picking this book up off the news stand?

On 10/4/2024 at 6:32 AM, WolverineX said:

Thoughts about the punch comics 12?  Good price?

Looks to me like a continuation of a slight uptrend in this book as the Heritage and CC archives both show a ton of copies sold for this book during the past couple of years, all with relatively strong prices like this.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/4/2024 at 8:42 AM, batman_fan said:

The real challenges with Green Giant 1 is

#1 Actually real tough to find

#2 Super cool cover.  As a kid, would you be able to pass picking this book up off the news stand?

Yeah that. The cover art was unusual. Reminds me a little of the Cheslers that were yet to come. Definitely unique.

I'm not surprised at all by the result. I knew it would top 20k easily. Some of the other results for example some of the early Detectives and the Punch 9 and Scoop 2 and a few others, the only word I can find to describe those results is unbelievable. That can be taken two ways. 

On 10/4/2024 at 1:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks to me like a continuation of a slight uptrend in this book as the Heritage and CC archives both show a ton of copies sold for this book during the past couple of years, all with relatively strong prices like this.  (thumbsu

Btw, I noticed that prices for the Famous Funnies Frazetta run have dropped... any ideas why?  buying opportunity?  

On 10/4/2024 at 12:26 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, although the fact that it's the highest graded copy to date plus that it's also a pedigree copy, albeit a weak pedigree at that, might help to explain the super strong price that it managed to achieve.  hm  (shrug)

Looks like Baker classic covers must still be going pretty red hot as evident by this result from only a couple of short weekends ago:  :o

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/seven-seas-comics-4-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7379-91122.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Seven Seas Comics #4 (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages....

Although clearly not the highest graded copy, probably still a record price at $31,200 or almost 5X condition guide for a CGC 7.5 graded copy.  :applause:

Interesting. The 9.0 Crippen copy was upgraded to 9.2 and sold on Heritage a while back. But does anyone know where the other 9.2 resides? It's been in the census for many years, but I've never seen it.  

On 10/4/2024 at 12:00 PM, WolverineX said:

Btw, I noticed that prices for the Famous Funnies Frazetta run have dropped... any ideas why?  buying opportunity?  

Far too many copies in a short period of time as an auction does not go by without having at least some of these Frazetta FF issues coming up. :gossip:

On 10/4/2024 at 1:18 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

But does anyone know where the other 9.2 resides? It's been in the census for many years, but I've never seen it.  

Being the good boardie that you are, I took the time and just checked for you and sad to say, but it's not residing in my collection here.  :(  lol

On 10/4/2024 at 4:59 PM, Crowzilla said:

I used to own the copy that is now the highest graded, back then the real challenge was finding someone interested in Green Giant #1.

(w/GG1, Pay Copy of Silver Streak 1, and Allentown Wonder 1)

20241004_170653.jpg

Nice hand. Not your actual and of course. Read em and weep. 

3 Hours Later- I just caught that last part. That is freaking hillarious. 

Edited by Professor K

On 10/4/2024 at 1:59 PM, Crowzilla said:

I used to own the copy that is now the highest graded, back then the real challenge was finding someone interested in Green Giant #1.

(w/GG1, Pay Copy of Silver Streak 1, and Allentown Wonder 1)

20241004_170653.jpg

Amazing. How many of those did you keep in your collection?

On 10/4/2024 at 4:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Being the good boardie that you are, I took the time and just checked for you and sad to say, but it's not residing in my collection here.  :(  lol

Well, I bought my copy in 2001, and I thought I remembered that the 9.2 was already in the census at that time, and I just confirmed that on CGCdata com. I was mostly curious whether it was the Mile High copy.