• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagii said:

:whatthe: "had"...

Dang that's some line up of Allentowns! I'm always surprised sometimes of what some collectors let go of (but then,  it's almost always lifetime quest), let go to get something else .

But those would be struggle for me to release back into the wild :D

..either way (worship) (worship)(worship)

I traded the Detective #29 for the Mile High run of More Fun Comics #64-97. 

I then sold those and bought Timelys.

Edited by Timely

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:
6 hours ago, buttock said:

Aren't there always HG X-Men and Batman comics in every auction?  

yes, and I know from years of watching these auctions, that the Batman books are to be ignored. :wishluck:

Sorry............my bad as you guys are indeed correct here!!!  :facepalm:

Looks like it's a virtual complete run of only Batman #138 through Bats #242 and only in CGC 9.2 to CGC 9.6 graded condition, with the bulk of them being CGC 9.4 and up.  Yep, not worth looking at since there's only the odd one in CGC 9.8 with none that appears higher than that based upon a quick glance.  :p  

23 minutes ago, sagii said:
27 minutes ago, Timely said:

I traded the Detective #29 for the Mile High run of More Fun Comics #64-97. 

I then sold those and bought Timelys.

:golfclap:

you did good.jpg

Exactly my thinking too although I haven't worked out the exact math for the value of those 30+ Church copies of More Fun's.  (thumbsu

Not so sure about switching Church More Fun's for Timely's, though I imagine it depends upon which Timely's you are talking about.  hm

Probably a good move on your part though since many of the GA DC titles have cooled off quite a bit over the years, save for certain issues.  :frown:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly my thinking too although I haven't worked out the exact math for the value of those 30+ Church copies of More Fun's.  (thumbsu

Not so sure about switching Church More Fun's for Timely's, though I imagine it depends upon which Timely's you are talking about.  hm

Probably a good move on your part though since many of the GA DC titles have cooled off quite a bit over the years, save for certain issues.  :frown:

Agreed. More Fun has it's die hards, no doubt. But i think Timely fans are probably the most devoted in the hobby (though the Fiction House -read Planet -folks are giving them a run for the crown :busy:). 

Without a doubt the most frequently bumped GA Thread. 

Edited by sagii

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:
7 hours ago, buttock said:

Aren't there always HG X-Men and Batman comics in every auction?  

yes, and I know from years of watching these auctions, that the Batman books are to be ignored. :wishluck:

I actually ignore all of the Marvel books without any exception plus most of the DC books save for the early pre-Robin 'Tec books, early Action's, plus a few others.  Definitely makes it a whole lot faster and easier to go through the various auctions then.  (thumbsu

Maybe it's just me, but there sure does seem to be more than the usual extensive runs in there from what I am seeing.  Perfect example being what seems to be a complete HG X-Men run from X-Men 1 through to X-Men 544 with virtually almost all of them in CGC 9.8 graded condition, save for the first handful of issues which are in CGC 9.4 graded condition.  Besides the HG Batman #138 to #242 run, you've also got the sporadic uber HG Church run of Captain Marvel Jr from issue #1 through #57, a virtually complete mid-grade GA Flash #3 - #103 run, plus several more recent HG DC runs such as 80-Page Giants and the likes.  hm

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I actually ignore all of the Marvel books without any exception plus most of the DC books save for the early pre-Robin 'Tec books, early Action's, plus a few others.  Definitely makes it a whole lot faster and easier to go through the various auctions then.  (thumbsu

Maybe it's just me, but there sure does seem to be more than the usual extensive runs in there from what I am seeing.  Perfect example being what seems to be a complete HG X-Men run from X-Men 1 through to X-Men 544 with virtually almost all of them in CGC 9.8 graded condition, save for the first handful of issues which are in CGC 9.4 graded condition.  Besides the HG Batman #138 to #242 run, you've also got the sporadic uber HG Church run of Captain Marvel Jr from issue #1 through #57, a virtually complete mid-grade GA Flash #3 - #103 run, plus several more recent HG DC runs such as 80-Page Giants and the likes.  hm

I just want people to ignore the Batman's so maybe I have a chase to pick up one or two but I am too cheap to ever win any SA Batman's unless they are lower grade like 8.0s.

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds like the cognoscenti are saying that the lights are turning red and bailing out of the hobby.  Gettin' while the gettin's good, as the saying goes.

28 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I just want people to ignore the Batman's so maybe I have a chase to pick up one or two but I am too cheap to ever win any SA Batman's unless they are lower grade like 8.0s.

+1

Yes, no worries about my wallet here as those extended runs don't really set off any alarms for me also.  (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Sounds like the cognoscenti are saying that the lights are turning red and bailing out of the hobby.  Gettin' while the gettin's good, as the saying goes.

I was also thinking the exact same thing when I saw all of these runs here.  (thumbsu

Yes, get out or at least take some off the table when the market is at a high is never a bad idea.   Unless of course, it's still got further to go.  hm  (shrug)

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Unless of course, it's still got further to go. 

The reason most investors lose money (not just in comics, but many types of assets) is not because of fear, but because of greed.  You don't always have to take every single last dollar off the table.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Unless of course, it's still got further to go. 

The reason most investors lose money (not just in comics, but many types of assets) is not because of fear, but because of greed.  You don't always have to take every single last dollar off the table.

Truer words have never been spoken and definitely one that my better half does not seem to understand.  :frustrated:  :censored:

I guess that's why you live in the posh and swanky high end seaside Stanley section of Hong Kong while the rest of the regular people live in the way over crowded sections of HK.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

Truer words have never been spoken and definitely one that my better half does not seem to understand.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Isn't she the one who always wants you to sell off your comics, but you've always refused to because you're afraid prices will rise further? ???

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
15 hours ago, lou_fine said:
16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Isn't she the one who always wants you to sell off your comics, but you've always refused to because you're afraid prices will rise further? ???

Well, being a long term comic book collector who wants to hold onto my books as long as possible, that's probably the rationale I gave her so that I can continue to hold onto my books.  (thumbsu

Her point of view is that I should sell them all as soon as possible since she believes nobody in their right mind would ever spend any real money buying comic books, plus her point of view that nothing goes up forever.  Thank God I got Overstreet to prove her wrong so far with his ever slowly upward moving average approach to valuation.  I guess it also doesn't hurt to selectively point out certain auction results to her every now and then, while ignoring others at the same time of course.  lol

23 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
On 6/29/2019 at 3:57 PM, Timely said:

I've had the honor of owning 3 Allentown copies.

Detective Comics #29

You sold it to E. Roberts ?

Getting all of the big whales confused here as I thought Dave also owned one of the other early pre-Robin Allentown 'Tec books besides just his Allentown copy of Detective Comics #27?  ???

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 6/30/2019 at 1:04 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 6/29/2019 at 11:57 PM, Timely said:

I've had the honor of owning 3 Allentown copies.

Detective Comics #29

You sold it to E. Roberts ?

Getting all of the big whales confused here as I thought Dave also owned one of the other early pre-Robin Allentown 'Tec books besides just his Allentown copy of Detective Comics #27?  ???

Think Allentown 27, Mile Highs the rest ...