• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2019 at 9:09 AM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating then an auction house that sends you an invoice after Day 1?  When there's still 4 more days of auctions to go?  

Since it's been almost 3 weeks since I sent my check in the mail, and I've received no communication, I'm going to send them a reminder that they should kindly ship my books.  If they've already shipped, please let me know when they shipped, so I can know when to expect them. :whee: 

I am admittedly still new to GA collecting and understand that there is some difference between what Comiccconnect may grade books at vs CGC but if someone could help with this I would appreciate it.  In the upcoming auction there are 3 very low grade More Fun Comics

52 coverless, CFO and brittle and it is given a 0.2 (it does have reproduction cover and CF)

54 missing back cover and brittle and given a 1.5 

and 15 that is coverless and brittle and given a 0.1

I don't understand how the complete but coverless can be graded below the coverless and missing a centerfold.  I would also think the 54 would come back from cgc as a 0.5 

I may be one of the few who collects books as low grade as this but to me it seems very inconsistent.  If anyone has an explanation and I am wrong about this I would like to hear it, just to understand the rationale more fully.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, ender said:

I am admittedly still new to GA collecting and understand that there is some difference between what Comiccconnect may grade books at vs CGC but if someone could help with this I would appreciate it.  In the upcoming auction there are 3 very low grade More Fun Comics

52 coverless, CFO and brittle and it is given a 0.2 (it does have reproduction cover and CF)

I don't understand how the complete but coverless can be graded below the coverless and missing a centerfold.  I would also think the 54 would come back from cgc as a 0.5 

I may be one of the few who collects books as low grade as this but to me it seems very inconsistent.  If anyone has an explanation and I am wrong about this I would like to hear it, just to understand the rationale more fully.  Thanks!

When you have raw books you can do anything you want and that is what they did.I can't fault people doing what they do when it comes to money but just be somewhat honest because the future of the hobby depends on it.

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

When you have raw books you can do anything you want and that is what they did.I can't fault people doing what they do when it comes to money but just be somewhat honest because the future of the hobby depends on it.

Why so serious? 🃏

On 6/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, tth2 said:

Is there anything more irritating then an auction house that sends you an invoice after Day 1?  When there's still 4 more days of auctions to go?  

So I just received a notice from CC that they've just shipped the books I won... back in mid-June.

Quick to invoice, (very) slow to ship.     

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:
6 hours ago, tth2 said:

So I just received a notice from CC that they've just shipped the books I won... back in mid-June.

I just got mine too!

Nothing like stellar customer service to keep people coming back! meh

11 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 6/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, tth2 said:

They can be erratic both in shipping auction wins and in shipping books bought off their site. Sometimes the book ships in a couple of days and other times I've waited a month or more between payment and shipping. 

On 7/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, ender said:

With the books in the shape these are in, it can be difficult to come up with a numerical grade. Isn't "0.2" their code for a coverless book? It would presumably get an NG from CGC as would the 15. Maybe they figured the brittleness with the 15 meant they should knock something off their coverless grade, so they gave it a 0.1. I think you are right that the 54 would get a 0.5 from CGC. 

2 hours ago, sagii said:

This auction is a smorgasbord of high grade Bakers. PL 17 vs GCE 12. Should be a barn burner 

First time I've seen that copy. I wonder who is consigning it?  Shame that the pq is going to kill the price. :insane:

54 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

First time I've seen that copy. I wonder who is consigning it?  Shame that the pq is going to kill the price. :insane:

Just the kind of opportunity someone who foolishly sold off his restored copy years ago would love to take advantage of to possibly reacquire.

PQ and all!