• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Comics collecting thread
1 1

89 posts in this topic

One of my favorites.  I completed the entire run of Nationals with Uncle Sam covers and the eight issues of Uncle Sam Quarterly.  All are CGCed.  I may get them together and post a group shot but so many great covers that I feel should be considered classic like the #16.  MY best memory was finding a San Francisco ped of #29 raw on Ebay.  I did not know it until I got and found Reilly's small stamp on the BC hidden in the ads.  I don't think the listing even included a BC but I needed the book for my run and the FC looked nice enough.

5 hours ago, buttock said:

For the next 3 years the WWII theme continued until a shift in mid-44 to a more bland theme took over similar to Quality's other titles. 

No love for The Barker?

15 hours ago, telerites said:

One of my favorites.  I completed the entire run of Nationals with Uncle Sam covers and the eight issues of Uncle Sam Quarterly.  All are CGCed.  I may get them together and post a group shot but so many great covers that I feel should be considered classic like the #16.  MY best memory was finding a San Francisco ped of #29 raw on Ebay.  I did not know it until I got and found Reilly's small stamp on the BC hidden in the ads.  I don't think the listing even included a BC but I needed the book for my run and the FC looked nice enough.

Pedigrees in the wild... :cloud9:

I found the San Francisco 20 in the wild!  Looks like HA has offered the 14-19, Harley had the 26 a while back, HA sold the 27, you have the 29, HA has sold the 33, 35, 36, 39, & 41.  Sounds like there may be more wild ones out there.

29 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Only National I have at the moment is this one, as I sold my possible Cookeville National 30 a few months ago.

Restored, but man is it pretty.

0502182121241.jpg

Beautiful copy, restored or not, a book that I would have much pride in owning. :golfclap:

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

In the mid 1990's Jon Berk laid his eyes on the Lou Fine original art to Planet #1 and decided he had to have it. He decided to part with a few comics to defray the cost and it was my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time as Jon offered me the Church run of Nationals from 1-23. It was an incredible set. I enjoyed it for a year or so. Unfortunately I got browbeat by Joe Smejkal into selling the set to him. He had many Mile Highs and loved the set so he made me a pretty generous offer. At the time I made a few dollars but looking back it is unfortunate that that killer run got split up when Joe consigned them to Heritage. I have been lucky enough to repurchase a few over the years since...

national3.jpg

nation3bc.jpg

Love the National 3, I have the Larson (which is not nearly as nice as this incredible copy).