• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer #1

13 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my 2nd grading  request on this sub-forum.  spine has no reading-roll at all though it is slightly not perpendicular to  the covers.  pages are yellowish (I can photograph this if needful)

I annotated the scan of the cover with 3 defects - on the left side there are two 'spots' which I would think are where liquid spattered it?   on the surfboard circled is a small indentation which I cannot locate on the inside front cover (meaning I don't think it penetrates but am reluctant to handle the book sufficiently to verify this.

Would appreciate any thoughts on what  this might grade at.

SCAN0024small.thumb.jpg.6927f0da9f1ee2b60d7e9e0b18601b1b.jpgSCAN0025small.thumb.jpg.cd0b41f1bd0b6b5a8c82c9dc3d2288ed.jpgSCAN0024annotatedsmall.thumb.jpg.d86c7e919e3476b521288f5eddb60b50.jpg

spot1.jpg.485dffb438934dc4fee1dbe034d58229.jpgspot2.thumb.jpg.f1f0177c1b3736ce3ce4371b3dafd122.jpg

Edited by dogfooddog

Great book!

slight corner wear, back cover has some wear/discoloration, slight crease at bottom, don't know what that dot at the back-bottom edge is. 

Very sharp book overall.

Maybe 9.2 depending on what's going on with that bottom back cover.

22 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Great book!

slight corner wear, back cover has some wear/discoloration, slight crease at bottom, don't know what that dot at the back-bottom edge is. 

Very sharp book overall.

Maybe 9.2 depending on what's going on with that bottom back cover.

thanks for looking at this!

this is a non-optimal image (had already put the book back when I checked the  pic, I accidently caused cover  separation on a weird tales 30s issue  last  year and have developed a phobia of touching these as a result), but a lot of the apparent blemish at bottom back cover is the protector.  there is a bump on bottom back, top back,and that crease  on outside back lower  corner visible  here.

ssurferreverse.thumb.jpg.95b84c139ffd22c75ece4776be972dad.jpg

Edited by dogfooddog

Please keep in mind that when grading a book you do occasionally have to be a bit of a detective. It's important to find out whether a defect extends into the pages or penetrates the cover in some way. In this case, the flaws seem relatively minor, so a tiny indent shouldn't affect the grade too much even if it does penetrate the cover a bit. After careful consideration, my best guess for this copy would be in the 8.5 range.  

And believe me, I'd be lying if I told you I never damaged a book while I was handling it. It does happen sometimes. But I try to learn from my mistakes...  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, The Lions Den said:

And believe me, I'd be lying if I told you I never damaged a book while I was handling it. It does happen sometimes. But I try to learn from my mistakes...

Me too. I dislodged a tiny chunk out of the cover of an X-Men 1 recently. Ouch! But that piece was hanging on for dear life. LOL Nevertheless... to paraphrase the Traveling Wilburys, “handle these with care.” :)