• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - I'm published!

62 posts in this topic

First off congrats...

Second, how did the process go? The cover price is $19.99 and you only make $1?

Arcadia publishing has done literally hundreds of these books for cities across the country. Usually, they're put together by a city's historical society, but in this case, I had the collection.

For copies sold in bookstores or through online booksellers, yes, I just make $1 per book. But on copies I sell myself at city events, etc., I'll make $8 a copy.

I've spoken to the authors of Arcadia books from neighboring cities, and they do fairly well. The Huntington Beach book(just up the road from Newport) is in its 8th printing, and Santa Ana is in its fourth printing. All the little shops by the beach will carry it, as well as places like Ace Hardware.

The $1 per book is an 8% comission off the wholesale price. My brother has had 8 young adult novels published, and he's never made more than 8%.

To be honest, I'm just glad it's published and will be on the shelves of the local Borders and Barnes & Noble. It's going to be fun to do book signings and talk to people about Newport's colorful history.

AWESOME!

I'm about to be published in a scientific journal within the next few months; it's a good feeling. Makes you feel like you're really accomplishing things in this life, doesn't it?

Congrats! It is a good feeling, knowing you worked hard on something and you've got something in the end to show for it. yay.gif

AWESOME!

I'm about to be published in a scientific journal within the next few months; it's a good feeling. Makes you feel like you're really accomplishing things in this life, doesn't it?

Congrats! It is a good feeling, knowing you worked hard on something and you've got something in the end to show for it. yay.gif

BTW, looks like a pretty cool book. thumbsup2.gif

Bumping this thread because the nice folks at Arcadia Publishing asked me to do another book for them, and it comes out Monday! While the last book was a collection of vintage postcards of Newport Beach, the new book is vintage photographs of Balboa & Balboa Island, two villages of Newport. The theme of the book is that while many small towns fell off the map during the Great Depression, Balboa survived on its vices: dancing, back-room gambling, and bootleg liquor. The town was literally known as Sin City, and has a remarkably colorful history. As a resident of Balboa, this book was even more fun to put together than the last one...

balboabk2.jpg

Haven't read the whole thread yet but CONGRATS! I grew up in Redondo Beach but now reside in Costa Mesa for past 20 yrs...spend a lot of time in Newport...I'll definitely pick it up...very cool/I love these kind of things...Tom