• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Restored GA Books

34 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on slight vs. extensive restoration on HG GA books. For instance, I recently sent in a beautiful copy of Zago #2 to CGC, and it graded out as a 9.2 with slight restoration. The label stated "Very small amount of color touch on cover". Would most GA collectors consider the small amount of restoration on this book, or would they just classify it as restored period.

Since I'm fairly new to GA collecting, I'm hoping that HG restored books are treated a little more fairly than their SA counterparts, since they're much scarcer.

Anyway, what percentage of a non-restored GA book would you be willing to pay for a book with slight, moderate or extensive restoration?

Of course that all depends on if you're selling or buying. Page quality and scarcity of the book. To me, if some kid 30 years ago took a magic marker and put a red dot on a scuff on the spine of a book, that's not resoration, it's a defect yes, but not resto.This issue is so confused and subject to intense manipulation.

Obviously it depends on the scarcity of the book, but if it is something like very small color touch, I don't knock off more than 20-25% when considering a purchase. If the resto is extensive to the point where we are talking a Frankenbook, then the deduction will be much much more. Small amounts of resto don't bother me in the least. I just don't like the extensive jobs. At that point I would rather have the book in its original state.

Of course that all depends on if you're selling or buying. Page quality and scarcity of the book. To me, if some kid 30 years ago took a magic marker and put a red dot on a scuff on the spine of a book, that's not resoration, it's a defect yes, but not resto.This issue is so confused and subject to intense manipulation.

I agree. This issue needs more extensive discussion as the stigmatization surrounding slight restoration, which as Black Hand noted, often times really isn't "restoration" is out of control.

There is a thread under Value Restored Compared to Unrestored. I think it would matter if it was Slight A or Slight P And certainly the scarcity would be a factor. I recently purchased a raw Action Comics #27 book advertised as Unrestored, and it came back Restored Slight A 6.5 with a small amount of glue on the spine. I have about $640 in this book, and I figure it is worth about $300

I have a blue label 4.0 Action Comics #29 with A small amount of dried glue on the cover. It is not considered Restoration. Someone could of spilled a drop of glue on it. If it was used to repair a tear, it would be different.

I have a blue label 4.0 Action Comics #29 with A small amount of dried glue on the cover. It is not considered Restoration. Someone could of spilled a drop of glue on it. If it was used to repair a tear, it would be different.

Same here. I have two 7.0 blue label GA's that have a small amount of glue on cover, but was not used for restoration purposes. Both books looked like 8.0's but were probably downgraded because of the glue.

There is a thread under Value Restored Compared to Unrestored. I think it would matter if it was Slight A or Slight P And certainly the scarcity would be a factor. I recently purchased a raw Action Comics #27 book advertised as Unrestored, and it came back Restored Slight A 6.5 with a small amount of glue on the spine. I have about $640 in this book, and I figure it is worth about $300

Did you inquire with the seller about the discrepancy?

I was going to hold off until I got the book back, but it was taking forever, so I left Positive feedback, because I came up with a 6.5 Unrestored before sending to CGC I E-mailed him, saying that I would let him know the outcome if he wished. I never heard from him, and he did not leave feedback for me.

That color touch wouldn't bother me at all. It is becoming absurd, if not already there, at the level of stigma that attaches to such books like this. There really needs to be a rethinking of how restoration, if thats what it is, is to play a role in this hobby.

Frankly, much of the stigma, IMHO, comes from the fact that so many people were burned over the last 10 years when they found out that the great unrestored books they bought from dealers, many well-known, during 1978-1990, or thereabouts, were actually restored. Left an understandably bad taste in the mouths of many.

In any event, I recently picked up this restored book:

871944-Mask1.jpg

Frankly, much of the stigma, IMHO, comes from the fact that so many people were burned over the last 10 years when they found out that the great unrestored books they bought from dealers, many well-known, during 1978-1990, or thereabouts, were actually restored. Left an understandably bad taste in the mouths of many.

I think you're spot-on here. That combined with a lot of newbie buyers in the post-CGC age who don't understand the concept of varying degrees of restoration, and you've got a stigma that works upon collectors new and old.

That color touch wouldn't bother me at all. It is becoming absurd, if not already there, at the level of stigma that attaches to such books like this. There really needs to be a rethinking of how restoration, if thats what it is, is to play a role in this hobby.

In any event, I recently picked up this restored book:

871944-Mask1.jpg

Beautiful book, Mark! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is it true that some comic books, in addition to the usual staple(s), have pages glued together when they were constructed (Golden age war year books)? If so, how does one distinguish this type of glue from something added after the production of the comic book (i.e- "small amout of glue on the cover")??