• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, silverseeker said:

Season 2 has been just as entertaining as season 1 so far...definitely my favorite of the CW shows.

I do need to check out more of Superman and Lois though...I watched the series premiere and it was pretty good.

This season has been really good. Especially the secret going on about the JSA and Eclipso.

Superman and Lois is a really solid show. I wish the CW Arrowverse could have figured out this more meanigful approach a few seasons into each of its shows.

The fact that Stargirl's villains commit evil but still have relatable, and sometimes even admirable, motivations behind their crimes is the genius of The CW series. This tradition is continued with The Shade, a voluntary Justice Society outcast who arrived in Blue Valley to secure the Black Diamond. Given his former membership in the ISA and the Justice Society's belief that The Shade killed Dr. Mid-Nite (Henry Thomas), naturally, Courtney and her friends suspected The Shade is looking to team up with Eclipso and attack Blue Valley. Plus The Shade is skulking around town in a nefarious fashion. But The Shade claims that he's really looking to stop Eclipso and save the world from the demon's black evil. The Shade told Courtney that he plans to throw the Black Diamond in the deepest part of the ocean. But is The Shade telling the truth and does he deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Other members of the Injustice Society of America also skirt the line between evil and understandable motivations. In Stargirl season 2, episode 4, Sportsmaster (Neil Hopkins) and Tigress (Joy Osmanski) broke out of prison but all the homicidal couple wanted was to be able to cheer their daughter Artemis (Stella Smith) at her football practice because they want her to become the first female college football quarterback. Remarkably, Sportsmaster and Tigress made good on their promise and they returned to prison after they watched Artemis play.

As The Shade explained to Courtney, "There's a difference between bad and evil," and Eclipso definitely falls into the latter category, along with Dragon King (Nelson Lee) and Brainwave.

Have to agree. Even with Season One the main villain conveyed his beliefs how what he was doing was meant to better the world. But from his twisted vantage point.

Talk about taking a risk in modern times to truly convey how truly evil Eclipso is in order to achieve his goals. To include racism to belittle the object of his hate.

To me, Stargirl is even more interesting with Season 2. It's not a watered-down super-powered being they are dealing with.

And poor Solomon Grundy. Born on a Monday. Christened on Tuesday, Married on Wednesday, Took ill on Thursday, Grew worse on Friday, Died on Saturday, Buried on Sunday, That was the end, Of Solomon Grundy.

Who am I kidding? He'll be back.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:20 PM, bpc3qh said:

Loved tonight's episode, as I've loved this entire season. I'd argue this has been the strongest CW superhero season for at least a couple of years.

Dark yet extremely entertaining and intense.

I am really impressed how dedicated the showrunners are to sticking to the darkness of Eclipso. Nowhere are they shying away from portraying true evil. Whether it be racism, violence or even murder. They truly want you to feel the full hate of the character.

And yet the brightness of Courtney works to shine through this situation where she can. If not for this being on the CW, I'd think 'NEVER ON THE CW!'

:applause:

On 10/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

I don't know where they found that kid playing Eclipso's human host, but man does he nail the creepy atmosphere of someone possessed.

:banana: :eek:

This show is continuing to deliver.

I've decided this is the best superhero show currently on TV. It's the most consistent across the board in terms of writing, plot, and acting. I haven't been disappointed once this season.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, bpc3qh said:

I've decided this is the best superhero show currently on TV. It's the most consistent across the board in terms of writing, plot, and acting. I haven't been disappointed once this season.

Even the team-up between the young and old Doctor Mid-Nite characters was very nicely executed.

Edited by Bosco685