• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Explaining the art form!

28 posts in this topic

It's frustrating explaining yo people who dont collect why I purchase something and never open it, even though that's its designation.

Comics are as much an artform as they are a story. I can get the story secondhand it makes no difference, but I can never recover the art if it gets damaged.

Would someone purchase a Van Gogh and run their greasy hands across the canvas?

I think not!🤔

What are you trying to say? Are you talking about owning the original art of the comic? Because your Van Gogh example is the equivalent of owning a Van Gogh print, not an original. 

No wonder people don't get it, if you're mixing your metaphors like that. hm

This seems to be the best thread to make sure everyone knows that today is National Margarita Day. 

2/22 or 22-2 (Depending on where you are) 

So you all go out there today and tonight and enjoy yourself. I know I will. 

Just now, Mecha_Fantastic said:

What are you trying to say? Are you talking about owning the original art of the comic? Because your Van Gogh example is the equivalent of owning a Van Gogh print, not an original. 

Mixed metaphors usually pair nicely with a lightly sweet riesling.

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's frustrating explaining yo people who dont collect why I purchase something and never open it, even though that's its designation.

Comics are as much an artform as they are a story. I can get the story secondhand it makes no difference, but I can never recover the art if it gets damaged.

Would someone purchase a Van Gogh and run their greasy hands across the canvas?

I think not!🤔

So since this is posted in the comics general forum and not the comic art sub-forum Im gonna assume he's talking about comic books not comic art. Using an art metaphor for a collectible that has an "art" component gets things mucked up. 

So the question that you seem to be alluding to is "Why collect comics if you are putting it in a slab never to be touched/read?"

The answer is, we are not collecting comics for their value as reading material, but for their collectible value (which is more about the values of nostagia/scarcity/condition)

And since we are not collecting them for their readability, protecting them in a slab makes sense, just as it does in collecting coins that are "slabbed". The coins arent being collected to be used as currency, so slabbing them makes sense. 

As a paper based collectible condition can be very unstable, and thus attempting to maintain that condition is key to collecting. 

Now there are also comic books that ARE collected (primarily/in part) for their reading value, and those are most often collected in a manner where they can still be read. 

2 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm not, I imagine the original art is far more valuable, but in that case prints carry value too😁

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Two piece please stay away from my threads, I have done my best to stay away from yours. Maybe you should read my thread  comics are collected for their value as much as their storyline, and explaining it to people who dont understand spending hundreds of dollars on a piece of paper can be difficult.

Thank you

Chillax and have a margarita. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I am off today... can anyone else tell? 

Toes:  I've got my toes in the water, xxx in the sand.... not a worry in the world, a cold bear in my hand.... life is good today... 

Before I begin- this is not meant to belittle your collecting knowledge. I am responding to what you wrote and how it comes across so there may be a little context missing from your original post. I am only taking it at face value. Please read on....

At the very least-- you should be opening a book once before you purchase it to examine it -- making sure all pages are there, there are no cutouts or interior damage whatsoever, and to evaluate the condition of the pages (white pages, off white, tan, cream, brittle etc). Or if purchased indirectly - inspect it upon arrival.

Before you get mad at me - I only point this out to @Hollywood1892 in case they are skipping this critical step thinking that they are harming the book by opening it. You can examine the book very carefully without causing any damage (wash your hands and wear some gloves if you are super concerned). Maybe that was not your point in the initial post but just in case you are not doing this check (a semi-rookie mistake even the most seasoned collector among us has made) - it is a best practice. Once you have done that-- you can proceed with never opening it again if you choose. But never opening a comic book ever could potentially just put off the discovery of any issues until you go to sell or get it graded- turning it into a "surprise!".

As for getting anyone not in the hobby to understand how many of us treat our collectibles as more of a "look but do not touch" item-- that is really hard to explain to people. But they tend not to understand the value of the books/items in general.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 2/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, 01TheDude said:

Before I begin- this is not meant to belittle your collecting knowledge. I am responding to what you wrote and how it comes across so there may be a little context missing from your original post. I am only taking it at face value. Please read on....

At the very least-- you should be opening a book once before you purchase it to examine it -- making sure all pages are there, there are no cutouts or interior damage whatsoever, and to evaluate the condition of the pages (white pages, off white, tan, cream, brittle etc). Or if purchased indirectly - inspect it upon arrival.

Before you get mad at me - I only point this out to @Hollywood1892 in case they are skipping this critical step thinking that they are harming the book by opening it. You can examine the book very carefully without causing any damage (wash your hands and wear some gloves if you are super concerned). Maybe that was not your point in the initial post but just in case you are not doing this check (a semi-rookie mistake even the most seasoned collector among us has made) - it is a best practice. Once you have done that-- you can proceed with never opening it again if you choose. But never opening a comic book ever could potentially just put off the discovery of any issues until you go to sell or get it graded- turning it into a "surprise!".

As for getting anyone not in the hobby to understand how many of us treat our collectibles as more of a "look but do not touch" item-- that is really hard to explain to people. But they tend not to understand the value of the books/items in general.

Cheers!🤙👉👈🤣😀

Thanks man

I appreciate that. Sometimes I just show my boss what I am going to spend my paycheque on, hes Russian so he talks with a thick accent I say "Is that crazy?" He says "Thats not crazy,that's absolutely crazy" it's kinda funny bantering but I think hes coming around, or at least beggining to understand.

Edited by Hollywood1892

Of course people don't get it, I "collect" comics and I don't get it. You don't care about the art form if you are never even looking at it. It's like having records and never playing them. Sure playing them at all will cause some kind of slight damage over time, but that's what they are for. Who cares about some grade or if a comic is perfect, just read it carefully and enjoy it. If it gets a little tiny crease on the spine or the corner isn't perfect anymore, so what? Also paintings are not meant to be handled and comics are, so that analogy makes no sense and I wash my hands before I read any comics or books or handle records or anything. But to each their own, slab away.