• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spinoff: "well loved" comics in your collection that you hang on to
1 1

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have lots of "Well Loved Books" in my collection.

I collect for the joy of collecting and completing my runs, not for investment.

These "Well Loved Books" were all Adopted by me from various sources (eBay, Local/Large Shows. LCS).

I have always had to collect on a budget and in order to complete my runs when it came to the lower numbered/more expensive books I always looked for the books nobody else wanted and when they were available at the "right" price I took them.

As I always say..."Owning A Well Loved Original Copy Is Always Better Than Not Owning A Copy At All."

Here are just a few pics of some the "Most Well Loved Books" I own. (More where they came from, I also own about 20-25 various Remainder Copies)

900gsx.jpg

2i082zt.jpg

2ef2342.jpg

5pnebc.jpg

hrkdwi.jpg

2wm0t43.jpg

28gxi0z.jpg

2911dn5.jpg

Send ASM 3 to Pee Gee XXX's  they will slab it a 9,4 :roflmao:

It's not really overly loved, but it is probably my lowest book by grade.  I will throw it up here to counter my disappointment in the EC in that other thread...  It has a half inch spline split and is pretty yellowed, but I just needed ONE Jack Davis cover and this one is pretty darn good!

wRZio900RRePFerbW2hr0w_thumb_777.jpg.1f3e49726a255cf5b056ecacb543fde6.jpg

Wall Street bankers anyone?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_81c.jpg.cd8f44196a2446e275682fe21342feab.jpg

I have my first comic I pulled out of a bargain bin at age 4 or 5 (first several actually, although I did get rid of the Whitman’s I found in there around that time) and the first “new” comic I got off the rack for full price still. My collection is in a spare closet in my moms house for the foreseeable future though so I won’t have access to any of my back issues for possibly as much as a year. I have one issue of Conan, one Mad Magazine, and the Nothing Nice To Say TPB with me and that’s it ☹️

Edited by dupont2005

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Seriously?

Must be nice to have an amazing collection of books so good that a completely unnoticeable spine split on a glorious EC is your go to book for showing some damage that you "tolerate".

Yes, seriously.  I am just not interested in low grade books.  If you are that's fine by me.  BTW I paid a "tolerable" price to tolerate the book (it wasn't one I inherited).  I never said it was junk.

Sadly I cannot remember which of my books I got when or if any are childhood books.  I think some are but have no idea which ones.  Maybe my worlds finest #160 is one.  Got it in 7th grade-I bought a stack of books from a kid for $1.  I'll try to dig up my actual copy.  This is just a stock image.

335141-18006-125745-1-world-s-finest-comic (1).jpg

ok ok ok... but the funny thing is by the time I started collecting poly bags were already in use and in short order cardboard backing and then acid free cardboard then mylar etc.  So cutting on my books or drawing on them was just not something I would consider doing.  Yes, I admit to defacing a few before I was a "collector".  I bought the sea monkeys, x ray specs, 100 piece soldier set and even tried selling GRIT.  I don't recall the market for low grade books ever being strong back in the 70's like it seems to be today and that is probably why I don't have any.  In the end I got rid of all my books by the age of about 22 and trust me some would be worth bucks today, just not enough to make me a rich man by any stretch.

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

it doesn't have to be your first book-- not sure how this got turned into that-- it is about books you hang on to despite them being WLB -- i.e. not in the greatest of condition. Valuation or if there is a market for the book is not a consideration. The book can be anything or mean anything to you-- maybe a loved one gave it to you pr you just couldn't help but read the heck out of the book and as a result-- the book is fairly beat up -- aka a "reader" if you will. This is about books that are well loved but not so much well cared for. Ones that you might have enjoyed as a kid.

I only point this out because several people have tried to alter/change/ignore what the original idea of the thread is about.

All my first books were destroyed by my dad when he soaked em in bathtub after some infraction.  I thought my life was over after that.

I’m sure that somewhere I still have a British Marvelman Annual, given to me by a relative when I was about 5 years old.  This is the 1950s character that eventually became Alan Moore’s Miracleman.  An interesting item, as it also contained a couple of obscure Joe Maneely ‘Speed Carter Spaceman’ stories from Atlas / Marvel.

In terrible shape, no back cover, and kept despite my more typical OCD condition obsessiveness as a reminder of the earliest stage in my development as a comics fan.

I kept these for over 40 years (first editions)...

1.  Well read, check

2.  Basically worthless, check

3.  Destroyed, X - WHY CAN'T I JOIN THIS CLUB!?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_81a.jpg.55d70b75ffafa247aa0b4a231a7180dd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_81e.jpg.ee65ca79181a95039c17fd55f4d23df0.jpg

Of all the things I chose to save this was all that made it because 3 months of mowing lawns was something I will never forget!  75 dollars for a 12 year old was OUTRAGEOUS!  The pages are yellowing, I am in the club...

11 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I kept these for over 40 years (first editions)...

1.  Well read, check

2.  Basically worthless, check

3.  Destroyed, X - WHY CAN'T I JOIN THIS CLUB!?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_81a.jpg.55d70b75ffafa247aa0b4a231a7180dd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_81e.jpg.ee65ca79181a95039c17fd55f4d23df0.jpg

Of all the things I chose to save this was all that made it because 3 months of mowing lawns was something I will never forget!  75 dollars for a 12 year old was OUTRAGEOUS!  The pages are yellowing, I am in the club...

My New Trend EC Library collection is still not bad, condition-wise, but I’ve read through them all many times over 3 to 4 decades, and you will get white line cracks along the spines, at the very least.

Then again, these brilliant comics were meant to be read and admired in this format.