• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

Just as an update for Eternals....

Metacritic is 56, the second lowest score for an MCU film ahead of Thor the dark World..

RT the Lowest MCU film at 62%

Fully admitting the many flaws with RT, can Eternals go rotten?

On 10/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, drotto said:

Just as an update for Eternals....

Metacritic is 56, the second lowest score for an MCU film ahead of Thor the dark World..

RT the Lowest MCU film at 62%

Fully admitting the many flaws with RT, can Eternals go rotten?

On 10/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, drotto said:

By far your funniest statement is people have completely forgotten the original Avengers already.

I just said RDJ, Chris Evans, and ScarJo. The others are still around. I also didn't say they were completely forgotten. I said "practically forgotten" which isn't as serious a statement.

Anyway, I don't recall anybody here, there, or anywhere, lamenting the absence of Tony Stark or Steve Rogers during the success of WandaVision, Loki, Shang-Chi, or even Falcon and the Winter Soldier. In Black Widow, the big positive takeaway from the movie was that Yelena Belova, Natasha's future Widow replacement, stole the show.

#EternalsDisney_Marvel_TheEternals_E_2021.png IMAX: visually stunning film which steps back for a broader take on the #MCU spanning thousands of years. Solid ensemble cast led by Gemma's leadership & Kumail's sharp comic timing. Differs from past #Marvel movies but brand + starpower shd deliver strong opening.

2c setting the stage for 2nd weekend collapse? (may be mitigated by absolutely nothing else opening)

On 10/28/2021 at 6:55 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

If you like, I can also post the twenty or thirty internet and industry articles proclaiming Shang Chi the savior of the movie theater industry.

I realize you thoroughly research topics before you post about them. I guess this time around you were too busy posting to do that extra analysis.

For a short period of time Twitter required any news sites posting articles to note if articles they were releasing were corporate sponsored. You would be shocked how many 'I'm just sharing my opinion about a studio' were being paid for by studios on social media.

Corporations complained, and Twitter capitulated and removed the requirement. But it was eye-opening how many posts and articles had corporate sponsorship. But go ahead and post more articles noting how Shag-Chi saved the theatrical market. I'm sure it's real in your mind.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

I realize you thoroughly research topics before you post about them. I guess this time around you were too busy posting to do that extra analysis.

For a short period of time Twitter required any news sites posting articles to note if articles they were releasing were corporate sponsored. You would be shocked how many 'I'm just sharing my opinion about a studio' were being paid for by studios on social media.

Corporations complained, and Twitter capitulated and removed the requirement. But it was eye-opening how many posts and articles had corporate sponsorship. But go ahead and post more articles noting how Shag-Chi saved the theatrical market. I'm sure it's real in your mind.

Industry backed tweets and articles still don’t affect the fact that Venom 2 moved its date up, that studios verbally committed to their theater exclusive release dates, that theater chain stock rose, that theater chain CEOs cheered, that the bluster of day and date streaming as the future quietly died, and that weekend box office receipts are all up in the wake of Shang Chi’s unexpected success.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:52 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Industry backed tweets and articles still don’t affect the fact that Venom 2 moved its date up, that studios verbally committed to their theater exclusive release dates, that theater chain stock rose, that theater chain CEOs cheered, that the bluster of day and date streaming as the future quietly died, and that weekend box office receipts are all up in the wake of Shang Chi’s unexpected success.

Uh-huh. I read what you think was the savior of theaters as a whole. Your onions.

Meanwhile, it was one indicator that Sony acted on. The other was all the theaters that had opened up across the world, which the Shang-Chi box office response was used to gauge. It didn't save theaters.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-huh. I read what you think was the savior of theaters as a whole. Your onions.

Meanwhile, it was one indicator that Sony acted on. The other was all the theaters that had opened up across the world, which the Shang-Chi box office response was used to gauge. It didn't save theaters.

Also, with release windows now down to 45 days, this kills theaters.  The studios keep 80 to 90 % of the ticket sales for the first two week in the US.  So theaters are relying on consession sales for profit.  

So let's take Shang-Chi, which did about $120 million domestic in the US for the first two weeks.  Disney got about 85% of that money give or take leaving 18 million for the theaters. The remaining 90 million, theaters got a higher cut maybe 30%, which means around 27 million.  All these release contracts are different and Disney is known to be stingy.  So theaters took in roughly 45 to 50 million for Shang-Chi. So after all there operating costs, plus added debt too stay afloat during Covid.  Tell me how 45 million saves the US theater industry?  (Yes, I know these numbers are rough estimates) They must have sold a ton of consessions do really make money. But wait ticket sales are down, and consession sales in many areas are limited with Covid restrictions.  Nope, that is not saving them either.

Shang-Chi showed theaters have a pulse, it did not save them.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:52 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Don't discount a *huge* externality here: that the primary reason AMC stock rose was its pumping by Redditors as a meme stock. This was entirely independent from any individual releases this year.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:29 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Don't discount a *huge* externality here: that the primary reason AMC stock rose was its pumping by Redditors as a meme stock. This was entirely independent from any individual releases this year.

Yeap, AMC was one of the Meme stocks, and it's pricing made no sense compaired to the current profits.

• On 10/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, drotto said:
    On 10/29/2021 at 9:29 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeap, AMC was one of the Meme stocks, and it's pricing made no sense compared to the current profits.

Market report following the second weekend of Shang-Chi:

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings grossed $35.8 million in its second-weekend follow-up, keeping the film on a record pace even before plans for a release in China (a big market for Marvel).
  • Between the impressive Shang-Chi follow-up and a boost from Disney's theatrical vote of confidence, key theater stocks are higher today. AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) is +1.2%; Cinemark (NYSE:CNK) +7.7%; IMAX +6.9%; Marcus (NYSE:MCS) +6.6%; Reading International (NASDAQ:RDI) +1.5%; in-theater advertising firm National CineMedia (NASDAQ:NCMI) +8.1%.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:
  • Market report following the second weekend of Shang-Chi:

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings grossed $35.8 million in its second-weekend follow-up, keeping the film on a record pace even before plans for a release in China (a big market for Marvel).
  • Between the impressive Shang-Chi follow-up and a boost from Disney's theatrical vote of confidence, key theater stocks are higher today. AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) is +1.2%; Cinemark (NYSE:CNK) +7.7%; IMAX +6.9%; Marcus (NYSE:MCS) +6.6%; Reading International (NASDAQ:RDI) +1.5%; in-theater advertising firm National CineMedia (NASDAQ:NCMI) +8.1%.

Shang-Chi is never releasing in China.  Black Widow did not, and Eterneals is likely not releasing there either.  If this continues with the MCU, this is going to be a massive issue, as they have staked a lot on opening up that market.  Some say they are pandering to that market.

Great stocks are up, but all stocks are up.  So separating those companies rising as a general stock trend across the board, or what can be attributed the Shang-Chi is unclear.  You have to remember Bond, FF 9, Halloween, Dune and several other movie have also come out and done reasonably well.  Yet, this is only based on one movie?

On 10/29/2021 at 9:12 AM, drotto said:

Also, with release windows now down to 45 days, this kills theaters.  The studios keep 80 to 90 % of the ticket sales for the first two week in the US.  So theaters are relying on consession sales for profit.  

So let's take Shang-Chi, which did about $120 million domestic in the US for the first two weeks.  Disney got about 85% of that money give or take leaving 18 million for the theaters. The remaining 90 million, theaters got a higher cut maybe 30%, which means around 27 million.  All these release contracts are different and Disney is known to be stingy.  So theaters took in roughly 45 to 50 million for Shang-Chi. So after all there operating costs, plus added debt too stay afloat during Covid.  Tell me how 45 million saves the US theater industry?  (Yes, I know these numbers are rough estimates) They must have sold a ton of consessions do really make money. But wait ticket sales are down, and consession sales in many areas are limited with Covid restrictions.  Nope, that is not saving them either.

Shang-Chi showed theaters have a pulse, it did not save them.

I don't care how much or how little money U.S. movie theaters took home from Shang-Chi. That's not my argument. What Shang-Chi did was start a chain reaction of increased attendance and profits to U.S. movie theaters that continued through Venom 2, James Bond, and Halloween Kills. It prompted Sony to move up the start date for Venom 2 a whole two weeks which helped continue the the subsequent weekends of high theater attendance and good box office. It essentially showed, while there was talk of doom and gloom for theaters due to the success of day and date streaming, that if you make a movie that's good and take away the home viewing option, then people will flood the theaters to see it just like they did before the pandemic. 

What Shang-Chi did was alter behavior and attitudes concerning movie theaters. That's how it saved the movie theater industry. You can argue against that point all you want but then you'd be arguing against media and industry pundits who also proclaimed that Shang-Chi rescued movie theaters. Again, not because of its profits alone, but because it changed the hearts and minds of theater goers, studio heads, and theater chain CEO's regarding the movie theater experience.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When multiple threads get to 100 pages because dozens of people are consistently telling you that you're wrong... I think you need to man-up and simply admit that you're wrong.

This kind of fanaticism is toxic.

It's a very limited audience that then this becomes a pattern. And especially when they use racism and misogyny as a tool so as to detract from other member's posts.

It's a very odd mindset. But at least lately we haven't heard 'it's happening in other places so I am combating it here'.