• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, Azkaban said:

^^

I laugh because I know I've said that before lol 

I forgot! :tonofbricks:  need to carry the 4 and divide by 2 :idea: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

well back on point.

I'm still excited to see this. Trailers were a bit meh.

The ones I saw in theaters I DID like! I haven't surrounded myself with news of it though, and possibly only watched any trailers somewhere around 3 times total.

So they may have all been the same ones lol 

I like the feel of it, yet to see it next Tuesday is my hope.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, Oddball said:

ABC is actually rebooting the Wonder Years with a black family in the 60’s. But you want to know what offends me? These two walking around sacred ground with those shirts. Pretty sure they are in Disney jail now getting waterboarded.

DC514C6D-E95B-4334-AD7A-A9CA5C9F4279.jpeg

Obviously ABC is taking the reboot of Wonder Years with an African-American family seriously, but Cap'n Bob Chapek's tweet regarding the new show is, quote: "If you think this is good, just wait until you see Asian Mork & Mindy, white Good Times & Latinx Happy Days." It was a deliberate racially offensive tweet.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:36 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Obviously ABC is taking the reboot of Wonder Years with an African-American family seriously, but Cap'n Bob Chapek's tweet regarding the new show is, quote: "If you think this is good, just wait until you see Asian Mork & Mindy, white Good Times & Latinx Happy Days." It was a deliberate racially offensive tweet.

Ok, you didn’t add that caption before. I don’t consider it racially offensive. Kinda dumb, yeah. Especially that Latinx. My wife (a Latina) thinks people that use that label are ridiculous. No one in her huge family other than her have ever even heard the term. Of course they all live in Central America.

Edited by Oddball

On 10/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

It's a parody account. But you are so wrapped up in your blanket of pinked hair SJW goodness you missed it completely.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, Oddball said:

Ok, you didn’t add that caption before. I don’t consider it racially offensive. Kinda dumb, yeah. Especially that Latinx. My wife (a Latina) thinks people that use that label are ridiculous. No one in her huge family other than her have ever even heard the term. Of course they all live in Central America.

The term in question goes back and forth what is acceptable, depending on who you are speaking with. Just like with Hispanic versus Latino. Especially when dealing with someone not from a certain Spanish-speaking region but they are referred to with a term that means a different region (Latino meaning countries formed by Spain and Portugal).

On 10/31/2021 at 1:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's a parody account. But you are so wrapped up in your blanket of pinked hair SJW goodness you missed it complet

The term in question goes back and forth what is acceptable, depending on who you are speaking with. Just like with Hispanic versus Latino. Especially when dealing with someone not from a certain Spanish-speaking region but they are referred to with a term that means a different region (Latino meaning countries formed by Spain and Portugal).

I agree but the term Latinx is not accepted by the Hispanic or Latino communities by large. I think less than ten percent has even heard the term. They come to America and realize we have a cute new classification for them. 

On 10/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Have you watched the show?

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it was surprisingly good.

Judged by the first episode, it's a far better premise and product than say...Fuller House (I get those are two totally different shows, but i watched them both as a kid back in the '80s - and the first episode of Fuller House was weak sauce).

God forbid they ever get that rumored Fresh Prince reboot off the ground...

Edited by Gatsby77

On 10/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, Oddball said:

I agree but the term Latinx is not accepted by the Hispanic or Latino communities by large. I think less than ten percent has even heard the term. They come to America and realize we have a cute new classification for them. 

I had a friend in college from Ecuador. One day when we walked into class after lunch someone asked him where in Puerto Rico he was from. He became very upset being referred to like that.

Just like with Latino versus Hispanic, I've been involved in conversations where one of the parties involved got very bothered by being reference by one or the other term. With the assumption being both came from the U.S Fed versus only one of the terms. So then the ethnicity categorization become a landmine. To include when I did work in South Chicago in immigrant communities (Pilsen and Little Village). But whoa be you if you referred to them as Mexican versus the division (Michoacan) they originally came from. Extremely loyal to their town than their country. Including supporting 'Home Town Clubs' to encourage more folks to come from their town to Chicago. It was a very interesting experience.

So I get your point from first-hand experience seeing how these conversations play out. Not as simple as one term that becomes offensive or misunderstood. :tink:

Edited by Bosco685
Pilsen

On 10/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

I had a friend in college from Ecuador. One day when we walked into class after lunch someone asked him where in Puerto Rico he was from. He became very upset being referred to like that.

Just like with Latino versus Hispanic, I've been involved in conversations where one of the parties involved got very bothered by being reference by one or the other term. With the assumption being both came from the U.S Fed versus only one of the terms. So then the ethnicity categorization become a landmine. To include when I did work in South Chicago in immigrant communities (Pilsen and Little Village). But whoa be you if you referred to them as Mexican versus the division (Michoacan) they originally came from. Extremely loyal to their town than their country. Including supporting 'Home Town Clubs' to encourage more folks to come from their town to Chicago. It was a very interesting experience.

So I get your point from first-hand experience seeing how these conversations play out. Not as simple as one term that becomes offensive or misunderstood. :tink:

I've had many friends of different nationalities, ethnicities, and skin colors, and out of all the ones I ever became close enough to that I could be candid, they made it clear that they preferred not to dwell on topics of prejudice and wanted to just be Joe, Bob, or whoever ... just another person. For what it's worth, it's probably too late for Rich White Entertainment Cartel to brainwash anyone else like they did to their own. Ouch... please don't hate ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

He's become more troublesome than guiding the ship like Bob Iger. Especially after the Scarlett Johansson situation.

I think a lot of the press about Chapek has been very well orchestrated by him to cement his position in Disney.  He was given the reigns at a very difficult financial time, as well as a time when the investors where thinking that the creatives had gotten too much control over valuable IP's.  He is a known penny pincher, money guy who soul task is tighten the Disney financial belt, and making sure that projects maintained there accessibility to wide audiences (ie make money).  He was already not popular when he got the job, and what the investors are tasking him to do makes him even less popular with Disney employees. 

So what does he do.  He plays back door games leaking certain stories (I think a lot of what was in the Forbes article around the Gina Carano was his leak) that may hurt him temporarily in public opinion, but he is playing the long game. The investors like him, and he is quietly getting his people in place, and diminishing the power of people he views as causing problems. 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:03 PM, jimjum12 said:

I've had many friends of different nationalities, ethnicities, and skin colors, and out of all the ones I ever became close enough to that I could be candid, they made it clear that they preferred not to dwell on topics of prejudice and wanted to just be Joe, Bob, or whoever ... just another person. For what it's worth, it's probably too late for Rich White Entertainment Cartel to brainwash anyone else like they did to their own. Ouch... please don't hate ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Agreed. Once you get to know a person as an individual.

But when a business is attempting to develop a service catering to a given ethnic group because it has a specific need, it's difficult in doing this by stating the market in question is Bob. And that was my experience in South Chicago working with community leaders, other businesses and even with the backing of the ambassador of Mexico. And over time we got to the Hector, Sal and Janine level. But that took time.

There are some from that engagement I still stay in touch with. Which was one of the experiences I wasn't assuming in advance on a business development engagement.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

He's become more troublesome than guiding the ship like Bob Iger. Especially after the Scarlett Johansson situation.

Or he is trying to consolidate the "power" back to the studios like in the old days and not to the stars.  From things I have read Iger was a "visionary" where-as Chapek is straight up a "money-man".  

On 10/31/2021 at 8:04 AM, media_junkie said:

Or he is trying to consolidate the "power" back to the studios like in the old days and not to the stars.  From things I have read Iger was a "visionary" where-as Chapek is straight up a "money-man".  

All indicators seem to point in this direction. Which over time some stars may get turned off to. Though many of them bow to the right paycheck.

:(

Everywhere I look, it's "RT score this. RT score that. W'sup with that?" For me, there's no way in Hades that Eternals, a movie directed by an Academy Award winning director, is going to be 20% worse than Black Widow, 27% worse than Ant-Man and the Wasp, and just plain worse than Thor Dark World or Incredible Hulk. This is how useless Rotten Tomatoes scores should be though society still holds it up as the final verdict on a movie. 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Everywhere I look, it's "RT score this. RT score that. W'sup with that?" For me, there's no way in Hades that Eternals, a movie directed by an Academy Award winning director, is going to be 20% worse than Black Widow, 27% worse than Ant-Man and the Wasp, and just plain worse than Thor Dark World or Incredible Hulk. This is how useless Rotten Tomatoes scores should be though society still holds it up as the final verdict on a movie. 

MCU_Purple.gif.c7336ed28394e1f346cf6af3e9afbae5.gif

:baiting: