• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think there is very little interest in a new Ghostbusters movie. Nobody showed up to the lady Ghostbusters movie and I think this movie will come in below expectations. First, people want their ghosts scary. That's the trend. The funny ghost thing is dead. Second, this movie missed its best release window when Halloween passed. SOmeone should be fired for letting this movie's release not coincide with the spookiest day of the year. I'm not saying Eternals will threepeat at #1 next weekend, but I also don't think Ghostbusters 3.0 will cut into its potential earnings that much, either, even if Paul Rudd just got voted Peeple's setsiest dude on the planet.

That's my prediction, anyway.

Copying this for posterity.

Reasons I think you're wrong:

1) Jason Reitman's a solid filmmaker - and Ivan Reitman's his dad. So no one has more motivation to make this really good.

2) Halloween timing has zero to do with it. The original Ghostbusters films came out in June.

3) Again - the trailers have been very well done - logical passing of the torch to the next generation, Stranger Things vibe and, as confirmed in the last trailer, we know the surviving members of the original team (including Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd - as well as Sigourney Weaver) will at least cameo.

4) Dan Aykroyd's credited as a co-writer on this one.

On the one hand - sure - nobody asked for this.

On the other, if you were *ever* going to do another Ghostbusters film, this is the team to do it.

See also: Jurassic World, another decades later sequel that nobody asked for.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 11/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think that non-interest carries over to this new movie, even though it seems to be getting positive first reactions. It'll surely take the #1 spot, but I still think a lot of people will also go see Eternals that weekend and that GB comes in under expectations. Disney's Encanto will demolish all Thanksgiving weekend.

We'll see. 

Best case scenario for Eternals next weekend is like $16M.

That assumes a better-than-expected $28M this weekend, and a mad optimistic 43% drop-off next weekend. 50-55% is far more likely.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think that non-interest carries over to this new movie, even though it seems to be getting positive first reactions. It'll surely take the #1 spot, but I still think a lot of people will also go see Eternals that weekend and that GB comes in under expectations. Disney's Encanto will demolish all Thanksgiving weekend.

We'll see. 

I think you are 100% wrong.  The interest in GB is because it is the original writers son, has  nothing to do with the female GB, the surviving original cast is in it, and it is a direct continuation of the original GB. It also has a bankable star in Paul Rudd. Eternals is down 75% on Friday, if that carries through the weekend at say 70% drop, that will be about $22 million box office this weekend. Expect another 50% plus drop for weekend 3, and Eternals is looking at around $11 million the weekend GB opens. It is going to get destroyed by GB.  I do think Disney's Encanto will take the number one spot for Thanksgiving weekend.  GB will likely be right around Eternals numbers.

Are you trying to say the investors are happy with Eternals performance?  Stocks do not tend to have big drops when investors are happy and like the product they see. The two drivers of the stock drop this week were the underperformance of Eternals and the drop off in Disney + subscriptions. 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:32 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Remains to be seen if Eternals passes F9's $173 million. Either way, it's a wonderful world we live in. 

Doesn't really matter since the movie will never make money, it has to make over $500 mil worldwide to make a profit. F9 actually made $$

On 11/13/2021 at 2:32 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Remains to be seen if Eternals passes F9's $173 million. Either way, it's a wonderful world we live in. 

I am not saying you can not love this movie.  The primary question is how long can Disney spend $200 million to make a movie, then spend another $100 million on promotion, only to have that movie make $350 million WW box office.  Even with a stellar movie, these numbers do not add up when the primary job of Disney is to make money. Even if the films are great, this is not sustainable. 

On 11/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, drotto said:

Stocks do not tend to have big drops when investors are happy and like the product they see. The two drivers of the stock drop this week were the underperformance of Eternals and the drop off in Disney + subscriptions. 

This.

While I think the Disney+ subscriber miss was the bigger driver, the Eternals under-performance (and negative critical and audience reaction) played a big part.

The stock dropped more than 10% this week, and is down 20% overall since March.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:25 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

So the Top-5 Domestic box office for 2021 will be Marvel characters?

jjj-laugh.png

SM:NWH, SC, Venom2, BW & Eternals.

1826078234_Untitled-eternals1global.thumb.jpg.f08d4bd2db867e6acc71a90ffd790df3.jpg

It is incredible how Venom 2 is only $3M from matching Shang-Chi's worldwide total. And yet it didn't have 24 films to boost the interest. Crazy!

WW_BO211113.thumb.PNG.4804f2f9b4d6b0af8d1a966acc4d8dbb.PNG

On 11/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think there is very little interest in a new Ghostbusters movie.

Didn't you make the same type prediction for Venom 2 where nobody even cared about seeing the credits in that lame movie? Hollywood should actually pay you to make more predictions.

Venom_BO211113.thumb.PNG.0da22ad5e137708e430c3e50498155f0.PNG

On 11/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Bosco685 said:

Didn't you make the same type prediction for Venom 2 where nobody even cared about seeing the credits in that lame movie? Hollywood should actually pay you to make more predictions.

Venom_BO211113.thumb.PNG.0da22ad5e137708e430c3e50498155f0.PNG

No, I said or meant, in response to the "don't spoil the movie" poster campaign that came out for Venom 2, that nobody cared about spoilers for the movie's main story or plot details. I had no idea that the "spoiler" that Sony was referring to was a mid-credits scene where the MCU and the Venomverse cross over. I admit that's pretty big and you don't want that spoiled. Nobody still cares about spoilers for the movie's main story including what happens to Carnage, Scream, or whoever. A blue chip Marvel Comics character, lame movie franchise. The sooner Disney gets the rights to Venom, the better, because Sony could never ever get the expanding symbiote mythos right in a hundred years.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

No, I said or meant, in response to the "don't spoil the movie" poster campaign that came out for Venom 2, that nobody cared about spoilers for the movie's main story or plot details. I had no idea that the "spoiler" that Sony was referring to was a mid-credits scene where the MCU and the Venomverse cross over. I admit that's pretty big and you don't want that spoiled. Nobody still cares about spoilers for the movie's main story including what happens to Carnage, Scream, or whoever. A blue chip Marvel Comics character, lame movie franchise. The sooner Disney gets the rights to Venom, the better, because Sony could never ever get the expanding symbiote mythos in a hundred years.

This must have been from the 3-D XD large format theater where you couldn't tell the room changed in the credits scene. Because you know - it was only this massive 3-DXD large format theater.

:baiting:

On 11/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, drotto said:

Are you trying to say the investors are happy with Eternals performance?  Stocks do not tend to have big drops when investors are happy and like the product they see. The two drivers of the stock drop this week were the underperformance of Eternals and the drop off in Disney + subscriptions. 

According to Wall Street analysts, Disney's investor sell-off in its stock was due almost 100% to the drop-off in Disney+ subscriptions which is seen as the main financial driver for Disney during this pandemic. Yes, Eternals opening weekend was slightly below expectations, but the Disney parks are doing well again. It's all about the reaction to Disney's video streaming service new subscriber numbers that caused the sell-off. On the other hand, analysts also say it was more of an emotional sell-off as Disney saw record numbers of new Disney+ subscribers during the height of the pandemic and that an eventual slow down was unavoidable.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, Finhead said:

I think your wrong, there was no interest in the lady GB since it was horrible.

No, the reaction to the idea of a remake of Ghostbusters with SNL women instead of men was HORROR.

Very few people went to see the movie in theaters because so many people already made up their mind about it. I saw the movie in theaters and it was okay. Not great, but not bad, either. It was fine. The SNL gals were funny and Chris Hemsworth was very funny. And at least in the lady remake, we see the Ghostbusters actually bust ghosts(plural) unlike the first movie where we see them bust one ghost, Slimer, and the rest being a "Ghostbusters" song music montage where we never see them bust a ghost until the finale with Gozer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:19 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

No, the reaction to the idea of a remake of Ghostbusters with SNL women instead of men was HORROR.

Very few went to see the movie in theaters. I saw the movie in theaters and it was okay. Not great, but not bad, either. It was fine. The SNL gals were funny and Chris Hemsworth was very funny. And at least in the lady remake, we see the Ghostbusters actually bust ghosts(plural) unlike the first movie where we see them bust one ghost, Slimer, and the rest being a "Ghostbusters" song music montage where we never see them bust a ghost until the finale with Gozer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Here  we go again, people did not see the movie because the main cast was all women.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:22 PM, drotto said:

Here  we go again, people did not see the movie because the main cast was all women.

Yes. I remember it. Do you? The reaction to the idea of a remake of Ghostbusters with all women was horror and near universal anger. I believe it was the first movie to get widely attacked the way Last Jedi and Captain Marvel would get attacked a few years later. Leslie Jones got death threats. There was a near nationwide boycott of the movie. The actual reviews of the movie weren't bad. I saw the movie in theaters with some kids. I, and they, actually enjoyed it for what it was, a dumb action comedy.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Very few people went to see the movie in theaters because so many people already made up their mind about it. I saw the movie in theaters and it was okay. Not great, but not bad, either. It was fine. The SNL gals were funny and Chris Hemsworth was very funny. And at least in the lady remake, we see the Ghostbusters actually bust ghosts(plural) unlike the first movie where we see them bust one ghost, Slimer, and the rest being a "Ghostbusters" song music montage where we never see them bust a ghost until the finale with Gozer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Na I'll stick with what I said earlier, it was a horrible movie. There was simply nothing about the movie that makes it worth watching, I'm sorry to have watched it the first time. lol