• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Oddball said:

This ones going to have to wait for Disney+. I bought a year outright as it was a great deal. Eternals will probably land on D+ as an “early premium unlock” for $30 and they can keep it. When I bought the annual subscription package, there was no fine print stating I would have to pay for individual movies or wait longer. Like its a mobile game with in-app purchases. The thing is, who doesn’t already own their favorite Star Wars or Marvel movies? There’s around 500 movies on D+ and over 2000 on HBOMAX and around 5000 on Netflix. Those numbers are about a year old so probably higher now. But D+ better triple their content fast or they are getting dropped. 

People under 30. I don't own Phase 3 because I have the collector's editions for the prior 2 (but I do have Avengers 3/4) and they never made one for it. :( I don't own The Force Awakens because I have the other trilogy sets but The Last Jedi blows super hard.

I'm glad that I have my younger brother's D+, because The Mandalorian is excellent, but I would have a difficult time justifying the subscription for 1 show.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:54 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

People under 30. I don't own Phase 3 because I have the collector's editions for the prior 2 (but I do have Avengers 3/4) and they never made one for it. :( I don't own The Force Awakens because I have the other trilogy sets but The Last Jedi blows super hard.

I'm glad that I have my younger brother's D+, because The Mandalorian is excellent, but I would have a difficult time justifying the subscription for 1 show.

Because they didn't get access to their parents VHS and DVD and bluray purchases over the years?

:baiting:

On 11/8/2021 at 7:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Under 30" may have been a reach on my part. People under 25 don't know wtf a VHS is.

But they sure know what DVDs, blurays and digital films and TV shows are.

:1514325239_yeehawemoji:

On 11/7/2021 at 11:52 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Since Chloe Zhao has said she was inspired by multiple movies in the making of Eternals, I think the movie might be well described as being Avengers meets Clash of the Titans meets 2001 a Space Odyssey meets Terence Malick's The New World meets Man of Steel meets Logan's Run meets John Carpenter's The Thing meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets The Dark Crystal meets Mork and Mindy to throw a little classic television in there.

Jesus.

In what world would you think that combination of movies would be...good?

On 11/8/2021 at 7:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

But they sure know what DVDs, blurays and digital films and TV shows are.

In general, people under 25 don't seem to appreciate property ownership. They would rather subscribe to a service in which they can stream 50 movies than own 500 physical copies. It's a sad but true state of affairs. When the ole internet is down I have countless ways of being entertained.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:11 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

In general, people under 25 don't seem to appreciate property ownership. They would rather subscribe to a service in which they can stream 50 movies than own 500 physical copies. It's a sad but true state of affairs. When the ole internet is down I have countless ways of being entertained.

:whatthe: :1845314138_shiftyeyesemoji:

On 11/8/2021 at 7:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thanks for showing me that 7 billion emojis have been added to the arsenal. :341807820_celebrationemoji:

7 billion emojis you say? Under 25 also ignore the owner's manuals on how to operate certain devices.

calculator01.png.521f3c0b196d6d19987bc075c4e94631.png

:baiting:

For Zhao's part, in an interview with JoBlo.com, she seems unsure if she's locked-in for a multi-film franchise. She explains that the studio encouraged her to focus on the task at hand, and believes it's now up to the audience to decide whether the Eternals merit their own sequel. But, Zhao emphasizes, as long as she's able to explore the themes that interest her, the size of the production is unimportant:

"I was encouraged to make a good standalone film, very encouraged to do that. I think now the film belongs to you, not me, and we want to see how this child grows in this scary, wild, and beautiful world. And then we need to watch and listen and learn and then see where we go from there. But I think, maybe I’m wrong about this, but I feel like filmmakers, it doesn’t matter what genre, they tend to make the same movie over and over and over. There’s certain themes, there’s certain things that I would keep pushing, I’m very happy to go back to make films with five people again."

On 11/8/2021 at 8:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well I for one am glad the movie exists now. It's my favorite MCU film for the now but will probably drop back below Endgame and Captain Marvel as the high wears off. With a story this big (as in characters size), I'm not sure how you continue the film's cliffhanger without either making a sequel or making it the story of an Avengers movie which won't happen. If Marvel nixes a sequel maybe a Disney+ series to continue the story?

I think, and hope, the world wide box office may help Eternals surpass Shang-Chi which may warrant an Eternals sequel . While half of the groupthink critics hate away and RT continues its faulty aggregation system that has dominion over the world, it appears a majority of the worldwide audience loved this film and want to see a sequel, or something.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Well I for one am glad the movie exists now. It's my favorite MCU film for the now but will probably drop back below Endgame and Captain Marvel as the high wears off. With a story this big (as in characters size), I'm not sure how you continue the film's cliffhanger without either making a sequel or making it the story of an Avengers movie which won't happen. If Marvel nixes a sequel maybe a Disney+ series to continue the story?

I think, and hope, the world wide box office may help Eternals surpass Shang-Chi which may warrant an Eternals sequel . While half of the groupthink critics hate away and RT continues its faulty aggregation system that has dominion over the world, it appears a majority of the worldwide audience loved this film and want to see a sequel, or something.

And yet you gladly used Rotten Tomatoes and nasty critic reviews to detract from non-MCU films and TV shows.

Data01.gif.406a85f512964bff9860397a4002842c.gif

On 11/8/2021 at 7:10 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Jesus.

In what world would you think that combination of movies would be...good?

Well, if you've seen the movie it isn't literally pieces of those movies stitched together, though how wouldn't that not be good?

I meant, in a half joking manner, that bits and pieces of the movie or story here and there reminded me of things from those movies or that show. For instance, the approach of the Domo to Earth reminded me very much of the monolith from 2001 a Space Odyssey. The way Ikaris floated and a battle towards the end of the film reminded me of scenes from Man of Steel. The Deviants form reminded me of the creature from John Carpenter's The Thing. The scenes of primitive humans meeting outworlders reminded me of Terence Malick's The New World. Stuff like that.

Eternals is a good film. A very very good film in my opinion.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:19 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, if you've seen the movie it isn't literally pieces of those movies stitched together, though how wouldn't that not be good?

I meant, in a half joking manner, that bits and pieces of the movie or story here and there reminded me of things from those movies or that show. For instance, the approach of the Domo to Earth reminded me very much of the monolith from 2001 a Space Odyssey. The way Ikaris floated and a battle towards the end of the film reminded me of scenes from Man of Steel. The Deviants form reminded me of the creature from John Carpenter's The Thing. The scenes of primitive humans meeting outworlders reminded me of Terence Malick's The New World. Stuff like that.

Eternals is a good film. A very very good film in my opinion.

Oscars 2021 Changes - Why the 93rd Academy Awards Will Be Different

On 11/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

And yet you gladly used Rotten Tomatoes and nasty critic reviews to detract from non-MCU films and TV shows.

Data01.gif.406a85f512964bff9860397a4002842c.gif

Eh, I don't really. That's in your head. I'm somehow Mr. Anti-DC in your world. That's fine. I do believe I brought up the Man of Steel low RT score in the past to show that combined with its relatively lower box office take (compared to the billions comic book movies were making around that time), it made the film a minor disappointment in the eyes of many, including the studio. Yes, MOS was a minor disappointment, but not big enough to not greenlight a sequel featuring Batman. And yes, Man of Steel didn't sit well with a lot of people, to the point that Zack Snyder had to defend the movie at times, like the fact that his SUperman was a darker version of the character.

Now, if Man of Steel had broken a billion dollars and got a very high positive fan response (it sits now at 75%), the RT score wouldn't have mattered as much. But it didn't do those things, so the RT score compounded that disappointment. This example even shows how the RT score has dominion over the way not only we can make decisions, but how studios can make decisions. 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, paperheart said:

Oscars 2021 Changes - Why the 93rd Academy Awards Will Be Different

Chloe Zhao already has one of those. In the end, I think she wanted to make Eternals because she wanted to make comic book movie.

With all the backlash by a few loud angry filmmakers and actors against the dominion of comic book films in the last couple years, in turn creating a larger public debate about them, I'm not sure we will ever see a comic book movie nominated for Best Picture ever again. Joker will probably be the last time.