• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

All in the cover for me. Whip that bad boy out and someone asks what is so special about Paste Pot Pete?  A shame really with how cool Doctor Strange is though.

That's true that cover isn't ideal, but still the 1st Dr. Strange, Nightmare, Wong, and (debatable) Frightful Four. ST 110 is always going to to be a big key and will always rise.

Plus, it will work with fans who don't judge a book by its cover... Some people care, some people won't. 

12 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

That's true that cover isn't ideal, but still the 1st Dr. Strange, Nightmare, Wong, and (debatable) Frightful Four. ST 110 is always going to to be a big key and will always rise.

Plus, it will work with fans who don't judge a book by its cover... Some people care, some people won't. 

I agree 100% 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

nothing always rises my friend. and all keys are not the same. as i said before, the first film did almost nothing for that book. covers do make a big difference. thats why strange tales 169 has done better than st110 since the first film opened. 

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

nothing always rises my friend. and all keys are not the same. as i said before, the first film did almost nothing for that book. covers do make a big difference. thats why strange tales 169 has done better than st110 since the first film opened. 

I get where you are coming from...I haven't kept track of the book prior to this year. 

However one of my friends on the boards  owns a ton of copies and says the book flatlined when the movie came out because it had increased so much the year before and was overvalued. 

He also thinks the book is now very undervalued compared to the other mega silver keys since Strange is playing a more significant role in the upcoming MCU...

I have noticed it jumping on Ebay recently but we'll see.  Time will tell. 

50 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

High tides raise all silver KEY-boats in this current market.  I think TOS39 is playing a deserved catch-up with its' mega peers as it should.  In the past I was unhesitant in valuing TOS39 much more point for point over the more common X-MEN 1, however, after seeing the realized prices paid for lower graded X1 copies (some looking like rags) I think it is inarguable that X-MEN 1 might be more valuable point for point in the future.  Maybe I am old school but I still think TOS39 should be more valuable point for point than X1 (assuming the same graded books present the same  - i.e. no faded covers, writing etc) but new school seems to set the pace in this market.  my 2-cents:preach:

While some of these below books are not mega-keys - my top 9 list (in no particular order) of contenders for 2021 due for another sustained spike are:

1) TTA27 - below 6.0 (the Garrett Morris of keys - assuming you remember that SNL skit)  lol

2) HULK1 in lower grades - say under 3.5 including restored copies

3) FF48 (such an iconic important key on so many levels - don't bother with FF49 I say if you have to choose between owning one or the other)

4) Avengers 1 (it came down some but I expect it will come roaring back this year esp in grades under 7.0)

5) Avengers 4 (why this languishes like it does is beyond me)  :gossip:

6) TOS52 (black widow rocks)

7) AF15 - truly the Action Comics #1 of the Silver Age, which every honest die-hard comic collector deserves in their collection.  Watch this book in lower grades including restored and conserved copies (say under 4.0) start to rocket in 2021.

8) BB28 - This was my top 3 all time favorite silver age key always but the DC key market has been on life support / a coma - I hold some hope this spikes but my least favorite on this list

9) TOS39 in lower grades esp.

Why not X-MEN #1?  I believe there has been some market manipulation in lower grade sales plus when books start to get priced so high that so many collectors lament that they cannot even afford to own this key - it creates a broader disenchantment or detachment to the book.  This in turn levels off prices, which brings them back to earth.  Just my theory. :blahblah:

great post! i love posts like this. 

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

High tides raise all silver KEY-boats in this current market.  I think TOS39 is playing a deserved catch-up with its' mega peers as it should.  In the past I was unhesitant in valuing TOS39 much more point for point over the more common X-MEN 1, however, after seeing the realized prices paid for lower graded X1 copies (some looking like rags) I think it is inarguable that X-MEN 1 might be more valuable point for point in the future.  Maybe I am old school but I still think TOS39 should be more valuable point for point than X1 (assuming the same graded books present the same  - i.e. no faded covers, writing etc) but new school seems to set the pace in this market.  my 2-cents:preach:

While some of these below books are not mega-keys - my top 9 list (in no particular order) of contenders for 2021 due for another sustained spike are:

1) TTA27 - below 6.0 (the Garrett Morris of keys - assuming you remember that SNL skit)  lol

3) FF48 (such an iconic important key on so many levels - don't bother with FF49 I say if you have to choose between owning one or the other)

4) Avengers 1 (it came down some but I expect it will come roaring back this year esp in grades under 7.0)

7) AF15 - truly the Action Comics #1 of the Silver Age, which every honest die-hard comic collector deserves in their collection.  Watch this book in lower grades including restored and conserved copies (say under 4.0) start to rocket in 2021.

8) BB28 - This was my top 3 all time favorite silver age key always but the DC key market has been on life support / a coma - I hold some hope this spikes but my least favorite on this list

Why not X-MEN #1?  I believe there has been some market manipulation in lower grade sales plus when books start to get priced so high that so many collectors lament that they cannot even afford to own this key - it creates a broader disenchantment or detachment to the book.  This in turn levels off prices, which brings them back to earth.  Just my theory. :blahblah:

This is fantastic. I'm skeptical if TOS52 will continue to rise, but it's also great to see someone else suggesting that BB28 might finally be due for an increase--I feel like I've been the only one beating that drum.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:27 PM, october said:

I would love to pick some DC's, but man, they just tend to dissapoint if it's not a Batman book. 

I totally agree with this...

Since I got back into collecting in 2000, every year was supposed to be the year that DCs start to catch up with Marvels...after 20+ years I don't think it's going to happen. lol

I don't collect Batman and don't have any of the major DC keys like Showcase #4 or B&B #28, but can think of only five DCs I own that have significantly appreciated over the last 20 years:

• B&B #54 and #60
  • Flash #139
  • Hawkman #4
  • Showcase #55 (which is surprising to me)

In the meantime, I have what feels like 50-100 Marvels that have done the same.

This is unfortunate, but it means you can get most DCs for pretty cheap compared to Marvels...however, if your plan is to turn a huge profit when you eventually sell your collection you may be waiting a long time! :smile:

I'd love to see DCs start to get some of that Marvel action...

3 hours ago, Roger66 said:

Great post! 

I agree with you on TOS39 vs X1.  I always appreciated X1, but never considered it the same level as a TOS39. 

With that said, I understand why X1 is blowing past the SA big boys. The group of collectors my age (38) grew up with X-Men. Comics, cartoons, cards..  and those are the collectors infusing allot of new money into the hobby!  That's why anything DC not Bat related is kind of flat.  

There was a time when TOS39 was my single most desired comic. The cover is a such a great cross between the emerging super hero era of the 60s and the robot covers of the 50s.  I feel like I stumbled into my X1 where TOS39 was a grail. 

As for comics heating up, here is my list. 

1) AF15 - the king has been steady long enough. It's due to rise!! 

2.) Hulk 1 - this book has been flat to long and it's too cool to stay that way

3) JIM 83 

4) SC22 

5) DD 1 - it's been getting hot and I think that continues. 

6) I think X1 will stay hot, but not at the tear it's been on. 

7) FF1 

8) FF5 - these last two have been hot. There is movie buzz and hopefully Disney gets it right and new generations are properly introduced to Doctor Doom! 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

well it didnt do diddley after the first dr strange movie, so i am not holding my breath on it doing anything after another one. unless pastepot pete is the costar. 

(tsk)  My Petey’s a STAR, not a costar.

18 hours ago, PKJ said:

All in the cover for me. Whip that bad boy out and someone asks what is so special about Paste Pot Pete?  A shame really with how cool Doctor Strange is though.

So?  At that point you just explain to them how my Petey’s just the biggest STAR there has ever been or ever will be!!!  :sumo:

AF #15

Spidey will come back strong, piggy-backed off the boom in Miles Morales.

The original Spider-Man and the new gen Spidey.

Both will explode this year.

4 hours ago, MusterMark said:

So?  At that point you just explain to them how my Petey’s just the biggest STAR there has ever been or ever will be!!!  :sumo:

Exactly, you do not need those types of people in our life! Usually when they ask it leads straight to fisticuffs or some other form of physical altercation.

7 hours ago, MusterMark said:

We're kidding about this, but I actually think its possible:

Feige is no dummy; he has seen humor work for a tremendous subset of his franchise:

Lebowski comedy Thor 3 or whatever it was called was not my cup of tea but was popular;

GOTG has been fueled heavily by its comic aspects

He's got Deadpool back, which was successful as a non-MCU film property with humor in the approach

He knows full well FF needs a major overhaul when he brings them in; light and humorous would be the departure from Fox fails here. I could see a Thing/Torch-heavy comedic approach a la early Strange Tales. He might yet inadvertently make ST 101 a hot key! (I could be wrong, but ya heard it here first!)

And my real dark horse speculation, fueled by no rumors, just my own musings? -- Amazing Adventures #1. My longshot half-baked theory is the whole Sersi/Black Knight harkens back to that mid-200's Roger Stern Avengers period, so maybe Dr Druid pops up as a secondary member in the next Avengers incarnation. This one's a stretch, but there's worse things than adding an early Marvel/late Atlas limbo book that's six months older than FF1.

19 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I cant Find a decent priced ST110 in the Bay.  

Yes,  I have had my eye in 4.0s and a couple have sold for ATHs in the last 2 weeks of Ebay. .. I'm curious to see if that trend continues... love  Dr Strange and can't wait to see him more.... lots of rumors that he may show up unexpectedly 

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

And my real dark horse speculation, fueled by no rumors, just my own musings? -- Amazing Adventures #1. My longshot half-baked theory is the whole Sersi/Black Knight harkens back to that mid-200's Roger Stern Avengers period, so maybe Dr Druid pops up as a secondary member in the next Avengers incarnation. This one's a stretch, but there's worse things than adding an early Marvel/late Atlas limbo book that's six months older than FF1.

From your lips to Feige's ears...

-bc

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  I have had my eye in 4.0s and a couple have sold for ATHs in the last 2 weeks of Ebay. .. I'm curious to see if that trend continues... love  Dr Strange and can't wait to see him more.... lots of rumors that he may show up unexpectedly 

It's one of the last SA keys that you can get on the cheap!  I finally picked up a copy, so it will probably drop in price.

4 hours ago, bc said:
6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Expand  

From your lips to Feige's ears...

-bc

From your lips to Feige's ears...

-bc

How did you know who I really am???  :whatthe:

Edited by MusterMark