• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I think the exquisite art of Murphy Anderson and that beautiful purple cover have something to do with it.

Showcase #55 is a sweet book...glad it happened to be in my collecting focus when I picked it up a while ago!

Showcase #55 is a book I've had forever; I always liked those early JSA silver age revival books. I have always thought of Flash #123 as the DC bookend to Avengers #4, the two books that brought the Golden Age forward into the Silver Age in a meaningful way, and brought the importance of continuity to the foreground. Much as they are worth, I still think they are undervalued given their groundbreaking roles.

Not sure what is moving Showcase #55 at this time, myself. Maybe its just a plain ol' cool book -- that thinking drove SS#4 forever (well, and the classic low distribution claim too, at least early on). 

15 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Compared to what is going on with the sports card sales comics and I mean all the keys are super cheap. Look at this insane $1.5 million dollar modern Jordan yes I know the card well. So many cards hitting insane prices in the last 6-8 months.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball-cards/singles-1980-now-/1997-upper-deck-game-jersey-michael-jordan-autograph-gj13s-psa-nm-7-auto-8-d-8-23/a/50039-50196.s?ic=www-hero-Sports-basketballIcons-viewLots-50039-020521

I don't think that card is the best example to use. It's a Jordan auto and jersey; there's a good justification for it hitting that price, as compared to, say, one of those Zion cards.

21 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Not really no justification for a made up rarity. TEC27 is rare.

I mean, it is a game-worn jersey from the all-star game. Look, if I'm gonna spend 1.5 million, it's gonna be on a Tec 27, too, and I'm happy to attack the manufactured rarity of sports cards for new rookies who haven't done jack, but I think there's an argument that certain parts of the sports card industry have earned the prices generated, beyond just the concept that the market automatically dictates prices.

FF5 is a given as a SA mega key that should continue to surge this year, and eventually FF1 too, but I sense that X-Men #1 and Daredevil #1 will stabilize soon.  It's not necessarily that X-Men #1 and DD1 have peaked, but their recent surge, along with the recent surge in bronze, copper, and modern key valuations, has created relative value in mega SA keys with low populations, like IH1, TTA27, and ST110, that will be hard to ignore.  Is it only a matter of time for IH1, TTA27, and ST110 to go through a TMNT#1-like correction?  With low populations, it seems like SC4 and BB28 in particular also stand to gain big time when and if DC get its act together, so they deserve a mention here too, albeit a contingent one. 

Arguably, JIM83 and TOS39 remain undervalued despite their recent heyday, but it seems like the really-low pop SA keys are ready to pop.  At a minimum, all of these books are part of that special early SA Marvel family, and gains for any should eventually translate into gains for all?  If so, add Avengers #1 and #4 to that list for significant, even if not surge-like, gains this year.  Last but certainly not least, AF15 is a perennial must-have that is showing signs from 5.5 on up, along with ASM1 in all grades, so a surge is possible at any time?

Edited by Pantodude

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

FF5 is a given as a SA mega key that should continue to surge this year, and eventually FF1 too, but I sense that X-Men #1 and Daredevil #1 will stabilize soon.  It's not necessarily that X-Men #1 and DD1 have peaked, but their recent surge, along with the recent surge in bronze, copper, and modern key valuations, has created relative value in mega SA keys with low populations, like IH1, TTA27, and ST110, that will be hard to ignore.  Is it only a matter of time for IH1, TTA27, and ST110 to go through a TMNT#1-like correction?  With low populations, it seems like SC4 and BB28 in particular also stand to gain big time when and if DC get its act together, so they deserve a mention here too, albeit a contingent one. 

Arguably, JIM83 and TOS39 remain undervalued despite their recent heyday, but it seems like the really-low pop SA keys are ready to pop.  At a minimum, all of these books are part of that special early SA Marvel family, and gains for any should eventually translate into gains for all?  If so, add Avengers #1 and #4 to that list for significant, even if not surge-like, gains this year.  Last but certainly not least, AF15 is a perennial must-have that is showing signs from 5.5 on up, along with ASM1 in all grades, so a surge is possible at any time. 

Agreed.  Tough to touch X-men 1 and DD1 right now since prices are getting crazy.

ST110 may also pop because if Nightmare shows up in wandavision .   1st Appearances of  Dr. Strange, Wong, Nightmare and Ancient one.  

I have always thought Avengers 4 was undervalued for a long time.  I also  like Avengers 8 when Kang shows up in the MCU AND  as other boardie's have mentioned if the Young Avengers movie gets made (Kang is essentially the creator of that young team)   .  

EDIT 2.0 strange tales 110 just sold for $1500...

Edited by Wolverinex

29 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Every time I feel that I want to go buy a ST110, I see the cover... and the feeling goes away. 

hm

Agreed but I broke down and bought one anyway late last year.

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

I think we will get a good idea in the next 30 days, seems several copies of some books that blew up are on or coming to the open market, that may slow the panic buying some.

That will be interesting to watch the market this next month. 

Just got a text that 6.5 Strange tales 110 White just sold for $5850 .   900/point is much higher than the 2.0 sale this afternoon.  

Edited by Wolverinex

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I don't think I have posted any of these books, except for #1. Here is Amazing Spider-Man #1 - #11. I did have to cheat to get ASM #1 in there. ASM #1 is currently sitting in my safe deposit box. Wouldn't you know it? The highest-graded book that I have is the least desirable of all these issues.

ASM1.jpg.c7796001e50075a97c4fd22da8e3920e.jpg     ASM2-11.thumb.jpg.c1261c06c352e2fa8cd086ffbf0a345b.jpg

That's usually the way it works for me!  

Love that #6!! I don't have much for early Spidey any more, but I've always loved Lizard!