• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

Sorry but I don't believe she ever did complete it. Certainly not back then, anyway.

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the postings at the time, here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45806&Number=848237#Post848237

Congratulations on being the 2nd person to complete this remarkable feat! What are you going to do now? Try and upgrade so that you have something closer to the quality of Christine's complete collection?

No, I am perfectly happy with them all. I have upgraded every comic I wanted to upgrade except for Girls Love 5. I had a huge list to upgrade and now there's just one comic left on it. I am more than happy with my collection. As for what I'm going to do now, I'm going to try to complete my MASSIVE HUGE ENORMOUS collection of rare DC giveaway, promo, and premium comics, NONE OF WHICH CHRISTINE HAS AT ALL !!!!! (I'd love to see her find either a Superman/Bradman comic, or a Twisted Metal comic).

And before I accept her collection as complete, I need to be sure she has both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs.

Maybe I misread this, but weren't you willing to concede she had a complete set if she had these 2?

Hmm... PLOD, registered 18 July 08, has an opinion on a years old argument? meh

So, you're either a shill for a previously banned member, or you're hurtling to conclusions based upon a cursory examination of ancient threads.

And before I accept her collection as complete, I need to be sure she has both "Narrative Illustration - The History Of The Comics", and "How You Can Defend Your Home", both of which qualify as bone fide M.C.Gaines All American comics, and both of which are true DCs.

Maybe I misread this, but weren't you willing to concede she had a complete set if she had these 2?

It's not a contest.

Plus she also didn't have the Fat And Slat Joke Book when I originally asked. She'd apparently never heard of it.

And she has no promos at all - and there are so many and so many rare ones too.

She clearly has runs of Action and Detective, but for me, she's not a completist. But it doesn't matter. I was not in a contest. I merely set a goal and eventually fulfilled it. I was amused by the claims I did it quickly. Many old time comic legends like Alan Austin and Mike Lake can attest to how eagerly I tried to fill every gap in the 1970s and 1980s.

My mistake was trying to speak to her one time, imagining she'd be as happy to discuss her collection as I was. It brought me down to Earth with a very fast bump.

I'm sad it's not Buzzy #70, Ian! How's my old book doing by the way?

If you look at the pic of all the keys and rarities, you will see it there clearly on that picture. It was wonderful how you found it.

I eventually came across another copy before I completed. There is no doubt that New Adventure 26 was the toughest.

In 2004 I had completed the entire collection apart from that one book, and it took a whole further year to get one, which I did in July 2005.

Mind you, Girls Love 5 was the toughest book to upgrade. That took years to find a copy that was even barely acceptable.

My mistake was trying to speak to her one time, imagining she'd be as happy to discuss her collection as I was. It brought me down to Earth with a very fast bump.

Ian, how so, I know she's fairly quiet as comic collectors go, but what was her reaction to you, and your goal at that time?

I'm more asking to get inside the mind of the 'grand comic collector'. There seems a few we've appointed to this title, and they always seem difficult to get to know from the general collectors ranks.

Arguably, I think some people here had applied the same thinking to you here on the boards hm

Ian, how so, I know she's fairly quiet as comic collectors go, but what was her reaction to you, and your goal at that time?

I'm more asking to get inside the mind of the 'grand comic collector'. There seems a few we've appointed to this title, and they always seem difficult to get to know from the general collectors ranks.

Arguably, I think some people here had applied the same thinking to you here on the boards hm

I quit the boards because of trolling and, to a certain degree, a discomfort with the extreme right wing leaning that much of its members displayed.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but at least initially it seems a far kinder and more polite place than it was four years ago.

I see no point in discussing Christine as she was not particularly civil to me, and because of that, any criticism of her would be unfair, especially as I don't know her as a person. Anything I say could be misinterpreted, so far more tactful to simply not discuss her at all. Please respect my wishes here.

Sorry but I don't believe she ever did complete it. Certainly not back then, anyway.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45806&Number=848237#Post848237

Congratulations on being the 2nd person to complete this remarkable feat! What are you going to do now? Try and upgrade so that you have something closer to the quality of Christine's complete collection?

No, I am perfectly happy with them all. I have upgraded every comic I wanted to upgrade except for Girls Love 5. I had a huge list to upgrade and now there's just one comic left on it. I am more than happy with my collection. As for what I'm going to do now, I'm going to try to complete my MASSIVE HUGE ENORMOUS collection of rare DC giveaway, promo, and premium comics, NONE OF WHICH CHRISTINE HAS AT ALL !!!!! (I'd love to see her find either a Superman/Bradman comic, or a Twisted Metal comic).

So, you're either a shill for a previously banned member, or you're hurtling to conclusions based upon a cursory examination of ancient threads.

The Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor!

The Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor!

Er... Old news? OK, I get it.

Ian, I am fairly new to the boards as well. What can I say, other than very impressive. 10,000 books were a lot but my God, you have some laser like focus to stay with it that much. Do you still read the new stuff or are you just putting them away?

well I hope you stick around. I made a comment earlier that you didn't seem to talk about the love of the books much just the quest and while I feel that was true hopefully you can stick around this time and share some of the knowledge of those great books.

cheers.