• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

Ian,

As said before, amazing collection. Just an astonishing accomplishment.

Got a couple of questions about DC war comics...

Have you seen any unusual promos of offbeat items relating to DC war comics that we may not know about? Particularly, were there any silver age items outside of the regular runs (and other appearances, like Showcase & Brave and Bold appearances.)

Also, did DC release any printed material in relation to the REMCO Sgt. Rock action figure sets from the early 1980s?

And finally, was there a particular issue (or issues) from the DC war pantheon that you found particularly tough to find?

Thanks very much,

Shep

Ian, if you don't mind me asking, what was the greatest amount over guide (in multiples) you paid for any one particular book? Was it the 3x guide for the New Adventure 26 that was noted in the full page ad you took out?

It was the 650 times guide I paid for the Superman Bradman Comic.

I paid £1000 ($2000 now).

The guide then listed it at $3.

Ian,

Have you seen any unusual promos of offbeat items relating to DC war comics that we may not know about? Particularly, were there any silver age items outside of the regular runs (and other appearances, like Showcase & Brave and Bold appearances.)

Also, did DC release any printed material in relation to the REMCO Sgt. Rock action figure sets from the early 1980s?

And finally, was there a particular issue (or issues) from the DC war pantheon that you found particularly tough to find?

Thanks very much,

Shep

Have you got a copy of Chris Pedrin's "Big Five" ??

Star Spangled War Stories 5, as I have already said, was virtually impossible.

if grade and condition were not a consideration, and "if" you could even find them all, what do you think you could realistically put the collection together for...

my guess is 2-3million

No.

I may have a lot of restored books but I upgraded most everything that I was dissatisfied with.

Some of these comics are too rare. It would cost more than that, especially factoring in shipping and packaging.

You scoff about new books, but you try and find a complete set of all 30 issues of Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children, plus the two previews, the incredibly rare Trade Paperback and the even rarer Cotton Candy Autopsy one-shot. Go on - I challenge you. Even some moderns are rarer than some Golden Age.

You could spend ten hours a day on e-Bay for three years and not come close for that price.

Plus some comics are not available for any price..

Bingo Ian,

While the actual price might not be in range a few have mentioned. The total amount of expense in an endeavour like this is the travel, time, incidental costs, shipping, etc that went into putting it together.

Besides no one who would simply write you one check and cart it off, might never understand the effort it took to gather this collection.

That is one of the intangibles that every collector who has sought and missed many more than they caught knows all too well.

But makes that eventual find all the more sweet.

Ian,

Thanks very much,

Shep

Got it, plus I know a guy who had a box full lof them.

The "Big Five" book, not the Star Spangled War Stories 5.

Return of the DC Jedi!

I am sure people around here were wondering if you were only of legend...

Good to see you back Ian.

I must admit I'm not much into DC, but that collection that you have

accumulated is the greatest collecting effort I have ever seen.

Hats off to you!

_the nerf

While the actual price might not be in range a few have mentioned. The total amount of expense in an endeavour like this is the travel, time, incidental costs, shipping, etc that went into putting it together.

Besides no one who would simply write you one check and cart it off, might never understand the effort it took to gather this collection.

That is one of the intangibles that every collector who has sought and missed many more than they caught knows all too well.

Throughout 2003 and 2004, I spent ten hours a day seven days a week on e-Bay.

Plus bought extensively off Harley and Metropolis and Rich Muchin and Gary Dolgoff.

Plus spent endless Sundays at UK comic cons till my feet ached, looking through every single dealer's boxes.

Plus did endless research to track down everything I was missing once I decided to take my forty year quest and finally comp;lete it once and for all.

I remortgaged my house to do it.

I sold all my Doctor Who film prints, my extensive and unique collection of Doctor Who props, and every valuable Northern Soul and Motown record that I possessed, after collecting them avidly for also a forty year period.

I sacrificed everything I had and everything I possessed to complete my comic collection, deciding it was better to have one definitive collection of something, rather than four collections that would always remain somewhat incomplete.

You cannot put a value on that amount of man hours other than as a quest to achieve a person's lifetime goal.

Plus bought extensively off Harley and Metropolis and Rich Muchin and Gary Dolgoff.

Plus spent endless Sundays at UK comic cons till my feet ached, looking through every single dealer's boxes.

Plus did endless research to track down everything I was missing once I decided to take my forty year quest and finally comp;lete it once and for all.

I sold all my Doctor Who film prints, my extensive and unique collection of Doctor Who props, and every valuable Northern Soul and Motown record that I possessed, after collecting them avidly for also a forty year period.

I sacrificed everything I had and everything I possessed to complete my comic collection, deciding it was better to have one definitive collection of something, rather than four collections that would always remain somewhat incomplete.

You cannot put a value on that amount of man hours other than as a quest to achieve a person's lifetime goal.

I hope you still have your life-sized Dalek :wishluck:

Ian,

Thanks very much,

Shep

Hey Ian,

Yeah, I have the Pedrin Guide... great book, and it certainly fills in many, many gaps....

Thanks for the reply!

Shep

wow. that certainly puts it into perspective.

With Lofty Goals... Comes Great Sacrifice

I did not realize the risks and sacrifices you made to arrive at where you are Ian. Wow

Do you ever see yourself allowing your collection (less some of the modern stuff for space savings) to be displayed in museum fashion at an appropriate venue? Let's say some major city's museum would pay all costs associated with making it happen including security (and insurance on the rare stuff in excess of 10X your estimated value of them to assure no theft)... would you do it? I imagine that it could be a 1-3 month exhibit with people traveling from all ends of the world to see it. Have you ever been approached?

welcome back Ian! Nice to see a "new generation" of boardees become acquainted with your collection. I dont want to bring up the old days even tangentially, but its very cool to see you negotiating yourself away from the less than complimentary comments this time. Why go there?

Hi Ian,

Did you collect all of the hardcover DC Books as well?

I have the 'America at War' Hardcover, and the 'Heart Throbs' Hardcover, but I've never seen the 'Mysteries in Space' Hardcover. Does it exist?

Thanks very much.

Tim

And that is why, as far as I'm concerned, it's not really that big of a deal. (thumbs u

i see it as a pretty big deal, but not a deal that interests me much.

And that is why, as far as I'm concerned, it's not really that big of a deal. (thumbs u

i see it as a pretty big deal, but not a deal that interests me much.

well, coming from a timely completists, that kind of makes sense (thumbs u

Hi Ian,

Did you collect all of the hardcover DC Books as well?

I have the 'America at War' Hardcover, and the 'Heart Throbs' Hardcover, but I've never seen the 'Mysteries in Space' Hardcover. Does it exist?

Thanks very much.

Tim

Yes I do, but these three were a licence outside to Fireside Books.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I have all three in hardback as well as paperback. The paperbacks are with my comics, but the hardbacks are all elsewhere and I need to go and check, but I do recall buying one.

I love this thread...you should be in the Guiness book.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I don't know what's more impressive...the collection itself, or your encyclopedaic knowledge of it.

Edited by jimjum12