• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

I don't know about you but I would have started with Marvels.

I collected the only comics that ever interested me.

There is really no more to say about it than that. As a kid I turned my nose up at Marvels and bought DCs.

I was just kidding. I know the valley between Marvel and DC collectors is huge. I was never a DC fan though I do appreciate them greatly and collect the odd DC now.

I'm sure there was a time when the task seemed unachievable.

1) Do remember periods of time when you almost gave up or started to doubt your qeust?

2) Do you remember a time when you began to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel?

Roy.

That was around the time when I thought I had every comic ever printed. Before the OS GUIDE a lot of comics were not know of. How did you manage to find books back then? What were your sources?

I answered this in detail just a few pages back, about Mike Lake and Alan Austin.

1) Do remember periods of time when you almost gave up or started to doubt your qeust?

I did give up, between 1986 and 2002 apart from the odd buying spree in the intervening sixteen years. But my collecting between 1973 and 1986 was avid indeed.

In 1986 after Crisis On Infinite Earths came out, I lost interest in the new comics and couldn't stomach reading them any more. The DC universe changed too much for my taste. I was a child of the Silver Age.

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

That was around the time when I thought I had every comic ever printed. Before the OS GUIDE a lot of comics were not know of. How did you manage to find books back then? What were your sources?

I answered this in detail just a few pages back, about Mike Lake and Alan Austin.

Ian, found it. Thanks!

I found it harder putting collections together back then also. If you didn't know the comic existed, it may be years before you would know about it.

What was the best lead you ever got? Any surprises? Any comic or series that really stands out. Something you didn't know about that turned up.

that's a very good point actually. pre internet outside US must have sucked. I'm in canada and there's comparatively very little GA here it seems. must be next to none in england.

that's a very good point actually. pre internet outside US must have sucked. I'm in canada and there's comparatively very little GA here it seems. must be next to none in england.

Well it wasn't easy.

I did give up, between 1986 and 2002 apart from the odd buying spree in the intervening sixteen years. But my collecting between 1973 and 1986 was avid indeed.

In 1986 after Crisis On Infinite Earths came out, I lost interest in the new comics and couldn't stomach reading them any more. The DC universe changed too much for my taste. I was a child of the Silver Age.

Amen Brother. I missed Barry Allen and they got of Hal. They came up with a bunch of for the Justice League. They tried the weekly series for Action. To me none of it worked. I think Marv and George were worn out and everyone just sucked. BTW... John Bryne's Superman stunk.

I'm sure Ian has an interesting story on how he acquired most of his books, since many are so rare. Hey Ian, you should start a thread where every day you post one story about one particular issue in your collection. I am sure all of us would like to know the stories behind your keys, the books you had a hard time with, and the books that are special to you.

Well the Big Book Of Fun Comics came from Dave The Dentist.

Action 1-4 and 6-10 came from Harley Yee.

Detective 1 came from Metropolis

Detectives 3 and 4 came from Harold Hill

Double Action 2 caused a huge amount of grief and eventually came from Metropolis after a very public argument about it.

Action 5 and 15 came from Robert Rogovin

Buzzy 70 was a wonderful gift from Shield.

etc etc

In 1973 when I was a kid, I visited a comic shop in London called "Dark They Were And Golden Eyed" and met another teenager working there who helped me fill in gaps in my collection. His name was Mike Lake. He took me down to the basement full of second hand comics, and he sold me Brave and the Bold 28, 29, 30, and Justice League, 1 through 22 apart from the ones I already had, which were 4, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 20. I was HOOKED. I had a complete run from 23 onwards so this was the fulfillment of my dream, to complete my Justcie League run.

He then started supplying me with every new DC every week.

He then formed a new company called Titan, selling wholesale out of an old mini-warehouse in Askew Lane in Acton.

Titan grew and grew in size until Mike became the first proper comics distributor in the UK.

He then opened up a shop in Denmark Street called Forbidden Planet, and every time anyone brought in a Golden Age DC, I had first dibs on it. This was now around 1976, I think. I got New Adventure 13, Green Lantern 16 in near mint, Action 28 and 31, Detective 37, and several All Star Comics, Flash, and Wonder Womans.

In the end he sold out his shares in Titan and Forbidden Planet to his partner and retired, But lets say I probably wouldn't have my collection now at all if it weren't for Mike Lake.

More Fun 52 and several other early More Funs came from..... :shy:

:luhv:

Ian:

Just returned from a business trip and see that you're back. Wonderful!

In case you haven't seen this yet, it took me 23 years to complete this set.

AshcanSuperFamily.jpg

You can read about my trials and tribulations here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2509046#Post2509046

Do you have any ashcans in your collection? (and I apologize if you've answered that question already - I haven't gone back yet to read all 245 new posts...).

Regards,

--Gary

Do you have any ashcans in your collection? (and I apologize if you've answered that question already - I haven't gone back yet to read all 245 new posts...).

Regards,

--Gary

Just The Flash.

I would love others but as they're such unique one-offs, used to procure copyrights, any I ever get are an unexpected bonus.

I simply can't afford them.

how did you aquire the supergear?

Hit a BIN on eBay about 2 years ago.

Was it a BIN ??

I thought he was privately playing you me and Al Stoltz all against each other.

I'd love to trade as I vowed a long time ago I'd not pay more than $1000 for it, simply because it's not worth it. But I let all my Golden Age spares go to Harley. I still have a spare New Adventure 14 and a spare More Fun 58 (Spectre cover, the one with the pendulum), which I left with someone else, but I think the NA 14 has the wrong back cover and the More Fun has a centrefold missing but only ad pages, not story.

I'd trade you the pair for the Supergear. They still gotta be worth $2000 together, purely because of the enormous rarity of the New Adventure.

As long as the More Fun's only missing the centerfold, lets do it. I'd just as soon see the Supergear go to a good home.

Was it a BIN ??

I'd love to trade as I vowed a long time ago I'd not pay more than $1000 for it, simply because it's not worth it. But I let all my Golden Age spares go to Harley. I still have a spare New Adventure 14 and a spare More Fun 58 (Spectre cover, the one with the pendulum), which I left with someone else, but I think the NA 14 has the wrong back cover and the More Fun has a centrefold missing but only ad pages, not story.

I'd trade you the pair for the Supergear. They still gotta be worth $2000 together, purely because of the enormous rarity of the New Adventure.

As long as the More Fun's only missing the centerfold, lets do it. I'd just as soon see the Supergear go to a good home.

:applause:

Was it a BIN ??

:headbang: I was hoping you'd cave in and let him have the book!

Way to go Ian... You've obtained at least (2) desired books since the thread restarted. Funny how things twist and turn in this crazy little hobby.

Your Mom should have the books (duplicates) I sent by now as well.

Was it a BIN ??

VEEEEEEEEEEERY cool! (thumbs u