• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major key/grail qualified married vs restored trimmed

21 posts in this topic

If you had a choice between the 2 and the grades were similar(original grade before restoration), which one would you prefer:

Major key/grail qualified married vs  restored trimmed (all original parts)

Edited by Spiderturtle

It would depend on what was trimmed and to what extent. The last I heard CGC doesn't quantify the amount of trimming that has occurred, so a book with a slight amount of overhang cut-off of a back cover is labeled "TRIMMED" the exact same as a book with the entire right side hacked off a half inch.

In general, probably a married copy, but production quality was so uneven in much of the GA, that there are untrimmed books which got chopped more severely in manufacturing than other copies were in trimming after purchase. Mid 40s Timely's could be especially bad with a half inch or more missing from the right side of the book on some "untrimmed" copies as compared to others. I'd take a slightly trimmed copy that still has more artwork over a married copy with less.

Funny how perceptions change, now TRIMMED is the hobbies F-bomb? I remember not too long ago many of us would not consider having any coverless book in our collection for even the holiest of grails & today pages and pieces of those same books are slabbed and the highlight of many collections. For me, trimmed or married all depends on the book I am looking to add to my collection and my budget for that book. I held out for 2 yrs looking for a BATMAN #1 that was the RIGHT BOOK and during that time the book jumped in price exponentially. So I have reached a point where its more important to get the books I want then to worry about a Trimmed edge or an added centerfold as prices have long ago taken those options away on many of the grails I still want or ironically even the ones I already own ( I can't sell them as I won't be able to afford them back at a later day as was the case in the first 20 yrs of my collecting lol). 

Edited by Frank Mozz

12 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Unless one buys a trimmed book and somehow resubmits it and get a universal label.. Ding ding ding we have a winner :nyah:

I once had a book with a Universal label that mentioned it was trimmed on the label. A QC screw up no doubt. 

To illustrate that trimming while problematic when undisclosed should still be weighed for eye-appeal, which one of these would you think was trimmed if you just saw it raw.

image.png.c6320582d23d25aeaffd17582eddc82f.pngimage.png.09dcaaa681c50ae3c4ebb48101df3128.png