• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Cars, Comic Art, & Comic Books...
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting article about counterfeit collectible cars that remineded me of the fake comic book art and the notorious counterfeit Cerebus 1. Also wondering if we will see counterfeit copies of Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 27 someday if they haven't already been produced?

https://nypost.com/2019/03/02/how-counterfeit-car-makers-are-scamming-enthusiasts/

-john

17 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It's much easier to counterfeit black and white comics.

Agree and want to add that technology today has probably made it much easier to counterfeit multi-colored comics.

I had counterfeit Cry for Dawn #1 once after I found in $1 BIN in 1994.  I noticed the background was fuzzy so I knew it was a counterfeit.

Kept this book until 2008 and sold for $25 (the buyer was notified about the fake book). Not bad for $1.

Counterfeit Cerebus #1 is still selling at about $300 (at least FN).

Edited by JollyComics

There was an article in NY Newsday about a US Customs raid that ,among many other things included counterfeit Marvel Comics.  This was about five years ago. I actually called the reporter and left him three messages wanting more information but he wouldn't return my calls.  I still have no idea if the article was accurate or if they meant tshirts of Marvel characters or something.

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I had counterfeit Cry for Dawn #1 once after I found in $1 BIN in 1994.  I noticed the background was fuzzy so I knew it was a counterfeit.

Kept this book until 2008 and sold for $25 (the buyer was notified about the fake book). Not bad for $1.

Insane, for 200 bucks more, you could buy a real Cerebus 4.5 copy...

JSG Boggs-would draw one sided bills, then go to trade his art for other works of art like clothes at stores or meals at restaurants.  Usually people would decline-bad for them cause his work was worth tens of thousands and highly sought by collectors.  He never sold his bills-if a collector was interested he would just tell them where he had traded it.  The complete work was the entire transaction, however-the receipt and change he got for his art completed the artwork and was also highly collected.

Due to Boggs the Bank of England started placing copyright on their bills to stop him:

Screenshot 2019-03-03 at 11.29.47 AM.png

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I think I rather just have the real thing, bro.  2000  copies...  crazy!

CGC Census shows 225 original copies and 62 counterfeit copies. Yep it's crazy that they are still buying the counterfeits. Maybe it has to do with the history.

5 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

CGC Census shows 225 original copies and 62 counterfeit copies. Yep it's crazy that they are still buying the counterfeits. Maybe it has to do with the history.

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Agree and want to add that technology today has probably made it much easier to counterfeit multi-colored comics.

Not really,the tooling used to make those four color newsprint comics are pretty much out of use, and they were expensive to begin with. It would be easier to counterfeit a modern comic than one from 80 years ago 

52 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

For the right price I’d take one. No more than $100 though. I already have a counterfeit Love And Rockets #1, but I bought it thinking it was legit.

the fakes I’d be most interested in though are the fake foil cover comics from the early 90’s. I saw an article about it in Wizard, about fake “Platinum edition” comics with amateur foil applied. I wonder who they fooled, and how? I guess before the internet it wouldn’t be as easy to research such a thing so if a guy at a convention pulled one out some people wouldn’t ask questions 

7 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Not really,the tooling used to make those four color newsprint comics are pretty much out of use, and they were expensive to begin with. It would be easier to counterfeit a modern comic than one from 80 years ago 

You don't think they can recreate the molds for the tooling?

https://www.google.com/amp/compositesmanufacturingmagazine.com/2018/11/the-next-generation-of-tooling/amp/

Edited by bronze johnny

5 hours ago, JollyComics said:

If I were Dave Sim, I'd issue my own counterfeit edition so others weren't making profiting off of my property. Create it the same way the original counterfeiters made theirs