• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Cars, Comic Art, & Comic Books...
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Fake artwork you say?

You mean like Cool Lines Art / The Donnelly brothers?  I don't buy from them anyway so whatevs I can deal with the possible private message if it is sent... 

This was discussed back in 2016

Andrew - Part Time Board Historian 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 3/3/2019 at 9:06 AM, JollyComics said:

I had counterfeit Cry for Dawn #1 once after I found in $1 BIN in 1994.  I noticed the background was fuzzy so I knew it was a counterfeit.

Kept this book until 2008 and sold for $25 (the buyer was notified about the fake book). Not bad for $1.

Be wary - admitting that you even owned a CFD counterfeit and did not promptly mail it to Linsner might earn you an insanity-laced scathing email from that turd.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:19 PM, PKJ said:

Tag swapping in vintage cars is not new. I used to pull vin and data plates way back in the day from cars I thought were cool in junkyards. I have also sold completely rotted shells of cars that had impressive features or options that I always figured would make it's way on to basic cars. VW busses for example.

I would have to go back but it seems that Jerry restored that car and had tooling made to replace most of the parts using the same technology etc but it probably was only about 10% original car when done which is not uncommon any more in restorations.

What is just as scary in that hobby is there have been "finds" of authentic data plates that were never used that someone could imprint whatever they wanted. I have a Porsche tag like that in my desk.

I used to work next to a Rolls Royce restoration ship in Toronto called Hyphen Auto Repairs.

There were cars that were sitting there 20 years to be restored. We're talking Rolls that could be anywhere from 20 - 80 years old (this was back in 1991).

You can't buy parts for some of those cars anymore so you just have to make everything from scratch. Body panels, mechanical parts. Everything.

I guess it all comes down to documentation.

It used to be fascinating to go next door into that shop and literally see a dozen cars all in various states of restoration. Cars you'd never see again.

This is an article that mentions Hyphen. Dave Webb, the guy in the article was an apprentice at Hyphen and I had my apprenticeship right next door at Euro Tune (we specialized in Porsches). Although it was almost 30 years ago, the name rings a bell so we must have literally worked next to each other in the early 1990's and seen each other at the coffee truck every day.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/classics/how-a-ferrari-technician-became-obsessed-with-rebuilding-a-1959-rolls-royce/article33846910/

Edited by VintageComics
Forgot to link the article

6 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:
On 3/3/2019 at 11:06 AM, JollyComics said:

I had counterfeit Cry for Dawn #1 once after I found in $1 BIN in 1994.  I noticed the background was fuzzy so I knew it was a counterfeit.

Kept this book until 2008 and sold for $25 (the buyer was notified about the fake book). Not bad for $1.

Be wary - admitting that you even owned a CFD counterfeit and did not promptly mail it to Linsner might earn you an insanity-laced scathing email from that turd.

+1

10 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:

That is first time I ever heard of it.  Sorry to Joe Linsner.