• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Read Your Valuables?

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Ever smell a Mile High?

I'd be too concerned about accidentally sneezing on one of those.  It would be tragic.

Unless, the newsprint of a Mile High is still so pristine and clean that it doesn't significantly irritate the nostrils?

6 hours ago, DocOck said:

I wouldn't say mine are VALUABLE, but they would set me back if I had to replace them. Yet, I prefer to read comics issue-by-issue rather than in a collected paperback. Always extremely careful, of course. And of course I would NEVER, take risks with a Golden Age book, except to verify all the pages are there.

How does everyone else feel about reading what they consider to be their valuables?

Read all of them that aren't slabbed, including GA. Also own some reprints of the more valuable books that I like to regularly read.

Not that difficult to establish a safe protocol to read a comic book without mutilating it. They somehow made it into our careful stewardship from the original owners who were likely kids/teens who had no regard for preservation techniques.

And @Robot Man is absolutely right, enjoying the whole experience of the cover gloss, page quality, interior content and smell is what collecting is all about. I check out all the dumb ads and read all the text stories between the covers, this helps put that book into the American Pop Culture spectrum which is as interesting to me as the actual comic book.

If I wanted to invest money into something that gave me absolutely no entertainment or nostalgic experience that might increase in value over time, I'll stick with stocks.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Ever smell a Mile High?

Yes, at every Phish show I've ever been to. (Buzz don't do that - that was just a joke - despite the Mayor basically allowing it all over the city)

Seriously though. 

I just don't like that acrid or acrid and musty smell of older comics. Some people do, I just don't for some reason. 

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Hell yes I do. I have read it at least looked through every book I own. 80% GA. This includes Mile Highs, Gaines file copies and every book no matter what is. What is the point of having a slabbed Mile High for instance? You are missing out on the snow white pages, the gloss and dripping wet color and that “smell”. You got to be careful, very careful but if you know how to handle books you will be fine. I love my comics from nose bleed grades down to coverless and read them all!

Now that chicks are into comic books, I don't know how on earth did Calvin Klein not put out a cologne made out of that old vintage smell. 

At least a deodorant... SOMETHING!

11 hours ago, DocOck said:

I wouldn't say mine are VALUABLE, but they would set me back if I had to replace them. 

How does everyone else feel about reading what they consider to be their valuables?

I reach down to straighten them out sometimes..., when they get bound up.  But read them?  Not sure I have the flexibility any more.

Valuable?  I  don't know about that - the wife had me fixed about 20 years ago.

I stopped collecting when I realized I was buying books and not even opening them up. I stopped reading them, and that's when I knew my passion for comics was dead. I have a big box of TPBs I'll never read again and can't sell off, and it upsets me greatly. They cost me a lot, and I can't justify throwing them away or giving them away for nothing. I'm not really even sure why I still look a the boards, to be honest. Habit, I guess.

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Welcome back... heard you went away... 

giphy.gif

DNA vindicated me.

Yours?  Or the other guys?