• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other Guys Do A "No Slab, No Resto Chk." Grade w/ Sticker Service?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I've never seen this before. 

FF67 "CBCS Raw Grade 5.5"

O.o

The sticker is on the front of the bag, covering part of the FC image, and two little stickers holding it shut on the back - why not put the grade sticker on the back as a seal all across the bag?? 

Is this new and how reliable is it, especially the no-resto-check. 

I'm confused! 

I just saw it on the site a week ago. Think they still do it. Now the question is:

Could and would CGC ever do this,  for say, pre-grades that don't meet the muster? Don't offer it as a primary option, just an option for pre-grades only. They "rough" grade them anyway, I assume. Would you pay an extra $5 or $10 to have the book put into a mylar and backer with an "uncertified" grade sticker and seal? I might. You already pay shipping both ways and a fee for failures. At least you'd get something back for your time, effort and money. 

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I honestly cannot wait to see someone tamper with that and slip in a 2.0 copy of the same book. 

That is just begging to be taken advantage of just to show them what a poor idea that is. 

I'm on it-

Who is to say it hasn’t gotten a few new dings in that bag since grading? I think any comic with a grade attached to the holder needs a holder that can reliably deter further damage. A bag and board is fine if you’re careful but it can taco up in a box, be dropped, be shipped poorly, and still have the grade

10 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Who is to say it hasn’t gotten a few new dings in that bag since grading? I think any comic with a grade attached to the holder needs a holder that can reliably deter further damage. A bag and board is fine if you’re careful but it can taco up in a box, be dropped, be shipped poorly, and still have the grade

This! Which is the very reason why the hard holder existed from the beginning since. I would like have my books be protected that way. 

But like Buzzetta said. There is always a will when someone wants to dupe a fool to part his money in the grand scheme, a way will be found. 

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

We're counting on you, Kav! We don't refer to you as "The Artist", for no reason!!  (worship)

I can spin hay into gold too!!!

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:

This! Which is the very reason why the hard holder existed from the beginning since. I would like have my books be protected that way. 

But like Buzzetta said. There is always a will when someone wants to dupe a fool to part his money in the grand scheme, a way will be found. 

If those stickers can be finessed off the bag, then the potential for this being an excellent vehicle for misrepresentative fraud by pulling a switcheroo is huge. Has anybody actually seen or handled one of these CBCS "softees" up close? Hands on? Be interesting to see if you have to destroy/rip/mutilate a sticker to remove it (for reinstallation later after a book is switched).

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If those stickers can be finessed off the bag, then the potential for this being an excellent vehicle for misrepresentative fraud by pulling a switcheroo is huge. Has anybody actually seen or handled one of these CBCS "softees" up close? Hands on? Be interesting to see if you have to destroy/rip/mutilate a sticker to remove it (for reinstallation later after a book is switched).

What do you mean finesse looks like you can just peel em off or is there some high tech sticker technology I am unaware of?

5 minutes ago, kav said:

What do you mean finesse looks like you can just peel em off or is there some high tech sticker technology I am unaware of?

Like what you might try to get a piece of tape accidentally stuck to something. Carefully peeling from one end using a pair of tweezers and maybe a heat gun to coax it off without harming the surface it's stuck to. But it would be the opposite. In this case, you would be trying to preserve the sticker even more than what it's stuck on, although you'd have to do both, if possible.

They look very similar to the small avery labels that are sold in every office store and stationary section everywhere. Those don't stick to any point where if you wanted to you couldn't peel it right up with a fingernail, like a round, color-coded price sticker. I'm curious if that's close to what they are, i.e. easily removable.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I honestly cannot wait to see someone tamper with that and slip in a 2.0 copy of the same book. 

That is just begging to be taken advantage of just to show them what a poor idea that is. 

It's a batpoopy crazy idea. I'm not shocked that they came up with this idea but I am shocked that they actually followed through with it. Just a bad idea on so many levels. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Like what you might try to get a piece of tape accidentally stuck to something. Carefully peeling from one end using a pair of tweezers and maybe a heat gun to coax it off without harming the surface it's stuck to. But it would be the opposite. In this case, you would be trying to preserve the sticker even more than what it's stuck on, although you'd have to do both, if possible.

Possibly it's glued down.  Otherwise should be a snap to just lift flap and pull sticker loose no problemo.

Some stickers are pretty tamper proof and the right adhesive would mean you have to destroy the bag to get it off. But if the market for something like this takes off bootleg stickers gotta be cheaper than bootleg slabs 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

They make tamper proof stickers, not sure if they're used in this instance, but tamper proof stickers disintegrate no matter how they're pulled off...

I've seen those. And although the image is not in any way conclusive, these look like simple round labels to me.  I don't see the practice catching on anyway. The whole idea of grading is the grade, the tamper proof rigid package, and the resto check, which makes the all important difference between a $100 book and the same in a $1000 book! Is this restored or not? Trimmed or not? There's no indication of that whatsoever.