• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hairy little eBay "I never got it" story... that ends up well... names have been changed...

28 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

but why jump to open a paypal case when the seller has said the box was signed for by someone with the family name? 
If I was him and had those facts in front of me I'd be asking everyone in the house about signing and then ask again and then get out the rubber hoses and ask a third time.

Perhaps the wife or mother in-law or both hate the comics and the buying and wanted to create a problem? 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Have to say I’m envious of the lengths the local post office went to provide such detail. 

When my post office mis-delivered a $100 book a couple of years ago it was a lot less CSI: Arkansas and more like Beverly Hillbillies. 

Totally. USPS is another word for apathy. 

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Perhaps the wife or mother in-law or both hate the comics and the buying and wanted to create a problem? 

If i knew my wife didnt like my comics and the seller said it was signed for I would have gone back tto the wife to figure out what happened... I wouldnt have immediately opened a paypal case.

9 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

If i knew my wife didnt like my comics and the seller said it was signed for I would have gone back tto the wife to figure out what happened... I wouldnt have immediately opened a paypal case.

The PayPal account is in the wife’s name. Makes it even weirder.

7 hours ago, miraclemet said:

this is the upside of southern small towns. (Im assuming it's a small town, or at least one with small town mentality)

Post offices and signature confirmation are handy. I had a delivery come to me with signature confirmation. I never got it, but the post office says "it shows that you signed!" (I guess my PO didnt spring for the GPS version of those little pads, or they dont know how to work it) I say show me the signature, and they show me the signature and it's not even my name. I say 1) I dont have the package, 2) that's not my name nor the name of anyone at my residence. So they go back, figure out the name, figure out the address that they actually delivered it to and then go back and get it. Luckily the guy hadn't opened it yet. Makes you wonder why he signed for something that wasnt addressed to him...

Well, I have actually done this. I was expecting a package of a slabbed book, and the package offered me to sign was in a Priority Mail 1095 or Medium Flat rate box that this seller usually uses, so I signed for it and took it in the house and laid it on the kitchen table to open later. As I walked by the package a few minutes later, taking a quick glance at it, I noticed it wasn’t addressed to me and wasn’t from the seller I’d bought from. My heart sank, but thinking since it had now only been 4 or 5 minutes, maybe my carrier was still in the vicinity. I took the package and hopped in my car and found my carrier about half a mile away. I explained we had made a mistake and he thanked me for making the effort to straighten things out. It just goes to show sometimes a perfect storm of events can happen to screw things up.

(By the way, the weight of the package felt about right for a slabbed book too, so outside of the fact I totally dropped the ball on verifying that the package was addressed to me or was from the expected seller when I signed for it, nothing else about the package seemed wrong to me.) 

Edited by Jaylam

Here's my thoughts.

Buyer would have lost the PayPal case. If you ship it to correct address provided by PayPal even without signature as long as it shows delivered you're good. Even if delivered to wrong house by mistake. If PayPal required signature because of item value then get signature confirmation. 

I had such a case less than 5 months ago. $150 book showed delivered and Paypal rejected his claim.

I also live in a rural area where I know by name the 2 people that work at my post office and they are always friendly and helpful. 

The tracking they do now is GPS monitored here also.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, miraclemet said:

And if she said they'd never arrived?