• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think there will be an end?
3 3

41 posts in this topic

To the value of comics.

Are we in a boom phase.

Like there is a value to some moderns that baffle me.

NYX 3

EOSV 002

Thanos 13

Ultimate fallout 4

Stocks peak and plummet based on a companies success in commercial markets and sales, especially supply and demand.

Sports cards are the same based on a players performance.

Do you think comics will always continue to rise.

For example spectacular spiderman circa 1974 is dirt cheap, and spiderman is marvels flagship, even though it's not Amazing 1 it is still spidey.

But my question is not about the value of SS 1, it is the value of comics as a whole.

And I do not think the success of MCU or DCU determines the success of comics, both incredible hulk and Fantastic 4 werent particularly popular at the box office compared to say Deadpool or Avengers and yet those comics are eating at the top of the food chain when it comes to value.

Just wondering your opinion.

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Can we stop the vague click-bait topic titles?

People who buy comics for "investment" and people looking to flip for profit are contributing to the bursting of the collectible bubble (again). And it's not strictly related to comics. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Thanks man

That makes alot of sense👍

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

For example spectacular spiderman circa 1974 is dirt cheap, and spiderman is marvels flagship, even though it's not Amazing 1 it is still spidey.

But my question is not about the value of SS 1, it is the value of comics as a whole.

There's a reason for the prices. It might be speculation, but the number of comic book readers has never been tens of millions. That is the number of comic book movie watchers. If there are only a hundred thousand of something and tens of millions of people who MIGHT have interest, now or in the future, then the hundred thousand might not be enough.  I own copies of Action Comics from 1940 (because I can't afford the earlier ones) mostly because I watched Superman in 1978 and loved Superman ever since. 

It took me almost 40 years to desire something that planted the seed that far back, but when I did, a price tag of a few thousand dollars didn't stop me.  We're not going to see all of the comic book market effects of two decades of movies immediately. We might not see the effects for 40 years. But there are two generations of comic book movie lovers who have dozens of potentially life-long interests we never had, apart from a couple by Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton. :foryou:

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Thanks man

That makes alot of sense👍

It's tough I know :foryou: seems there is always a new aspect of it, so it will be revisited for sure lol

Seems like we should pick some of those threads to put in the stickied thread in comics general... to revisit at a later date and see how many of the market estimates add up haha

52 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Invincible ended. It was my favorite monthly book. I'm hoping Kirkman brings it back at some point, but I doubt it will ever have a lengthy run again (especially with Ottley doing the art).

It ended. I'm still kind of sad about it. 

It was a great series. 

I preferred it to The Walking Dead.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

To the value of comics.

Of course. But it will be a long time before they lose all their value.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Are we in a boom phase.

Obviously. Anybody who disputes that is insane.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

There's a reason for the prices. It might be speculation, but the number of comic book readers has never been tens of millions. That is the number of comic book movie watchers. If there are only a hundred thousand of something and tens of millions of people who MIGHT have interest, now or in the future, then the hundred thousand might not be enough.  I own copies of Action Comics from 1940 (because I can't afford the earlier ones) mostly because I watched Superman in 1978 and loved Superman ever since. 

It took me almost 40 years to desire something that planted the seed that far back, but when I did, a price tag of a few thousand dollars didn't stop me.  We're not going to see all of the comic book market effects of two decades of movies immediately. We might not see the effects for 40 years. But there are two generations of comic book movie lovers who have dozens of potentially life-long interests we never had, apart from a couple by Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton. :foryou:

I cant wait for those days either, because if ten percent of those movie goers turn to comics than the market will be insane.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Invincible ended. It was my favorite monthly book. I'm hoping Kirkman brings it back at some point, but I doubt it will ever have a lengthy run again (especially with Ottley doing the art).

It ended. I'm still kind of sad about it. 

Would you rather a series end at a good stopping point that wraps most things up but does leave some room for speculation as to what could happen to characters in the long run, or have a series continue on forever and ever getting boring over time because of writers running out of ideas, so they just start printing anything just to get to the next issue. My point is that sometimes things coming to an end isn’t a bad thing. Sad indeed but I would rather see a series come to a good closing point than to see it go on and on and loose the soul that the series once had. You can always go back and reread a series from the beginning and still have that joy even if you know what’s going to happen on the next page. 

22 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Would you rather a series end at a good stopping point that wraps most things up but does leave some room for speculation as to what could happen to characters in the long run, or have a series continue on forever and ever getting boring over time because of writers running out of ideas, so they just start printing anything just to get to the next issue. My point is that sometimes things coming to an end isn’t a bad thing. Sad indeed but I would rather see a series come to a good closing point than to see it go on and on and loose the soul that the series once had. You can always go back and reread a series from the beginning and still have that joy even if you know what’s going to happen on the next page. 

I'm going with the third option. Kirkman keeps coming out with entertaining issues of Invincible until I die. Then he stops. That's my choice. 

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:
2 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Letting the days go bye.

Someone got it.:blush:

Water flowing under!

But Hollywood at least has the sense to make a appropriate thread and post in the correct places :foryou: