• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think there will be an end?
3 3

41 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Would you rather a series end at a good stopping point that wraps most things up but does leave some room for speculation as to what could happen to characters in the long run, or have a series continue on forever and ever getting boring over time because of writers running out of ideas, so they just start printing anything just to get to the next issue. 

Gwenvincible!

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Water flowing under!

But Hollywood at least has the sense to make a appropriate thread and post in the correct places :foryou:

It took a lot of criticism to get the message though. I'm a slow learner.

Just someone said in another thread that "This" may never last forever.

I think collecting comics is beautiful on two fronts, the value of the story and the value of the comic.

I just hope that when the value of the story dies for me,that the value of the comic reigns forever.

I suppose the safest thing to say is..."I shouldnt over think things. Just enjoy the ride."

13 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

The Great Crash of 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  IS COMING!

:golfclap:says it all.

10 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

The Great Crash of 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  IS COMING!

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.  :banana:

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I just hope that when the value of the story dies for me,that the value of the comic reigns forever.

I've found the opposite to be true for me.

I've been much happier just reading comics digitally rather than obsessing about market values, the transient thrill of the hunt, or getting nostalgic about very imprecisely-recalled younger days.  As previously stated, the end of the secondary market has been widely obsessed about, year after year after year, and it's become quite a frustrating topic, so much so for me that I'm relieved to have a means to comfortably distance myself.

Edited by Ken Aldred

10 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I understand, flagship books like AF 15 ASM 1,Batman 1,ect ect

Can you show me an example of the decline.

New books

less new books sold per month each and every year.

Shift from buying new books to buying trades

Comic book stores closing. 

Collectables

"key" books stagnating in price or even dropping. Examples:

New Mutants 98 ( dropping in price in virtually all grades )

( 9.8 )  (231 2017) $759  (283 2018) $824   (295 12 month AVG) $803   (72 90 Day AVG) $731  last sale-$695 Apr-2019

NYX 3 ( spiked in value due to movie hype and since then has done nothing)

Walking Dead 1 ( for a book of low print run its value is plummeting) 

( 9.8 )  (65 2017) $2,789  (84 2018) $2,316   (73 12 month AVG ) $2,237   (9 90 Day AVG ) $2,132  and last sale $1,924 Mar-2019

I acknowledge there are many factors that can cause the change in value of a specific book such as print run/ availability of the book, or popularity of a TV show declining or movie hype.

NYX 3 popped in value because the character was announced to appear in a movie. Now that the movie is over it has done nothing and unless the character makes an appearance again on either TV or film I suspect the book will begin to drop.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

New books

Collectables

( 9.8 )  (231 2017) $759  (283 2018) $824   (295 12 month AVG) $803   (72 90 Day AVG) $731  last sale-$695 Apr-2019

( 9.8 )  (65 2017) $2,789  (84 2018) $2,316   (73 12 month AVG ) $2,237   (9 90 Day AVG ) $2,132  and last sale $1,924 Mar-2019

I acknowledge there are many factors that can cause the change in value of a specific book such as print run/ availability of the book, or popularity of a TV show declining or movie hype.

NYX 3 popped in value because the character was announced to appear in a movie. Now that the movie is over it has done nothing and unless the character makes an appearance again on either TV or film I suspect the book will begin to drop.

No

That's terrible, those statistics are staggering you would think the increase in low grades would spike the high grades

For edge of the spiderverse, I typed in the certification number and it said only three registered grades all 9.8

If some grades came in lower I would think that would increase the higher grades.

14 hours ago, deadleg said:

Would you rather a series end at a good stopping point that wraps most things up but does leave some room for speculation as to what could happen to characters in the long run, or have a series continue on forever and ever getting boring over time because of writers running out of ideas, so they just start printing anything just to get to the next issue. My point is that sometimes things coming to an end isn’t a bad thing. Sad indeed but I would rather see a series come to a good closing point than to see it go on and on and loose the soul that the series once had. You can always go back and reread a series from the beginning and still have that joy even if you know what’s going to happen on the next page. 

Invincible had an ending that brought the series to a very satisfactory close.

I was happy with it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

New books

Collectables

Your supporting evidence is not indicative of either the comic bubble bursting or a decline in the market. They aren't indicative of anything really other than some books get hot and then go cold. This has been happening ever since I started collecting in the late 80's and I would imagine well before that. It is not new. To put up 3 books that have bounced in the last couple of years as an example of a declining market is just ludicrous.

Edited by LordRahl
typo