• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turning nothing into a little something.

9 posts in this topic

We are having a community wide yard sale/ flea market  and I was sorting some books for it. My plan was to start at 50 cents but go 3 for a dollar to most buyers.  Much of these I had bought from a boardie a few years ago and.briefly looked through. I end up with four and a half boxes, with the idea to keep three full boxes on display .

I'm watching the Yankee game and looking up a few books to see if mycomicshop is buying any. These are all modern Indies, many very obscure.  I get a few hits where they'll pay 22 cents, but very few worth sending.  I find a series I never heard of, and see there are eight issues. To my amazement , issue one is ten dollars in VF, and the eight together are almost $34 dollars. Fifteen minutes of nothing, then an $8 book. I recognize it and quickly find three more copies. Another six part series worth $45, and maybe a dozen worth $1.  A tpb worth $6, and another worth almost $10.  Most of these are 9.2 or better but I priced them all as 8.0.  Took most of the game, but I pulled out books  worth well over $100 that I'll add to my next MCS shipment. I was hoping to sell $50 worth at the sale, so this is just gravy.

I also started a box of stuff they aren't currently buying but will in the next 60 days  

43 minutes ago, shadroch said:

We are having a community wide yard sale/ flea market  and I was sorting some books for it. My plan was to start at 50 cents but go 3 for a dollar to most buyers.  Much of these I had bought from a boardie a few years ago and.briefly looked through. I end up with four and a half boxes, with the idea to keep three full boxes on display .

I'm watching the Yankee game and looking up a few books to see if mycomicshop is buying any. These are all modern Indies, many very obscure.  I get a few hits where they'll pay 22 cents, but very few worth sending.  I find a series I never heard of, and see there are eight issues. To my amazement , issue one is ten dollars in VF, and the eight together are almost $34 dollars. Fifteen minutes of nothing, then an $8 book. I recognize it and quickly find three more copies. Another six part series worth $45, and maybe a dozen worth $1.  A tpb worth $6, and another worth almost $10.  Most of these are 9.2 or better but I priced them all as 8.0.  Took most of the game, but I pulled out books  worth well over $100 that I'll add to my next MCS shipment. I was hoping to sell $50 worth at the sale, so this is just gravy.

I also started a box of stuff they aren't currently buying but will in the next 60 days  

I think you got some of those from me.  Look carefully and you might have been one of those that bought Avenging Spider-man 9 from me in NM for 50 cents.   Seriously, and to anyone else this is not a "thing" and not a call to drama as when I sold the book it was really a $1 bin book.   Good luck though and glad all is well in Vegas. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I will look but my modern marvels are almost all unsorted.  I recently culled post2000 Marvels from 20 plus short boxes to 15.  I think most of the books you sold me stayed on Long Island.  It didn't pay to ship the bulk books.  I left a pallet of shrink wrapped comics behind, with a do not open until 2036 sign.  I think it's five by five, but it might be four by four. It was pretty compact. Mostly mid 80s store stock.

Obscure indies are the good stuff. I bet they wouldn’t have sold at the yard sale either. I sold off a ton of books at 50 cents each and they only wanted the super hero stuff. I started giving away the ones I thought were good reads just to promote a wider range of comics to people. 

3 minutes ago, nocutename said:

I used to love trading with MCS.  I currently have a full short box of items they don't want nor warrants the $15 to ship to them now.

If it makes you feel better, I have about 80 short boxes they don't want.

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I recently turned 2/3rds of a short box of later lower grade Fawcetts into a nice mid grade Haunt of Fear #15 (#1). I’m a happy Robot!

That's what I've bee doing. Sell a dozen books, buying one $500 book and pocket the difference.