• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price to pay for uncanny xmen 266,signed.
1 1

69 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Most people get graded copies for nostalgia, preservation, appreciation, verification, etc. It gives us safety of actually "buying the book" because someone else has done a restoration check and evaluated its (estimated) condition.

There are very few people that collect comic books "because of financial value".

That might be the most ridicoulous response I have ever heard in my life.

Why would there be sites like

Gocollect.com

GPA analysis 

Key collector.

If nobody cared about the value of comics than why would they pay more for a first appearance of wolverine than a fifth appearance of the same character.

I imagine the infinity gauntlet storyline is more exciting than the first appearance of Thanos, yet the first appearance of Thanos is about fifty times its value.

With a bit more depth of thought you would realise how brutally wrong you are.

And if it was just the case of putting a book in a piece of plastic than there would be no need to grade it  a 9.9 would be the same value as a 9.8 you would only be buying the comic for nostalgia reasons.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Found I wasnt elaborate enough

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That might be the most ridicoulous response I have ever heard in my life.

Why would there be sites like

Gocollect.com

GPA analysis 

Key collector.

If nobody cared about the value of comics than why would they pay more for a first appearance of wolverine than a fifth appearance of the same character.

I imagine the infinity gauntlet storyline is more exciting than the first appearance of Thanos, yet the first appearance of Thanos is about fifty times its value.

With a bit more depth of thought you would realise how brutally wrong you are.

And if it was just the case of putting a book in a piece of plastic than there would be no need to grade it  a 9.9 would be the same value as a 9.8 you would only be buying the comic for nostalgia reasons.

That might be the most ridiculous response I have ever read in my life.

Just because there are websites that track comic sales, does not mean that the majority of collectors are buying comics as some sort of 'investment'.

Most comic book collectors are not "in it for the money". Comic books happen to be worth money. It's not the same thing.

I never said that "nobody cared about the value of comics". That's what we would call a straw-man argument.

I am not wrong. "Brutally wrong", in fact, is a gross overreaction.

36 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Also, grading is subjective. In case you have not noticed, CGC is not the only game in town, and their opinion of a comic's condition is not the be-all end-all to a comic's value.

Encapsulated comics are not the only things being collected.

Why are people buying up eternals,captain marvel ect if it's not for value? 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well, let's see, we're expecting both an Eternals movie and a Captain Marvel film in Phase 4.

There are plenty of people who want to read source material before a movie based on said source material is released.

See: All 6 of Marvel's Slipcase sets released since 2014.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Well, let's see, we're expecting both an Eternals movie and a Captain Marvel film in Phase 4.

There are plenty of people who want to read source material before a movie based on said source material is released.

See: All 6 of Marvel's Slipcase sets released since 2014.

Listen

Two things

One I'm at work and I have no time for cheap and ignorant conversation 

Two the value $$$$ of those comics greatly increased since the news release of the movie,same with shazam, iron man 55 ect ect, if people just want to read it prior to the movie coming out than why are they paying inflated prices for it?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Listen

Two things

Two the value $$$$ of those comics greatly increased since the news release of the movie,same with shazam, iron man 55 ect ect, if people just want to read it prior to the movie coming out than why are they paying inflated prices for it?

Listen.

It's called supply and demand.

If you don't have time, and you're going to be snarky, don't bother responding to my comments. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Listen

Two things

Why do you ask questions and then respond rudely to those who answer? Are you always this abrasive? You can disagree without the attacks.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I collect comics I want, and there a many comics on my want list. Since I can't get them all at once, I naturally have to prioritize what I get and when. If speculation starts driving the prices on one of those "back burner" book, I'll buy it before it reaches ridiculous levels I'm unwilling to acknowledge.

11 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Why do you ask questions and then respond rudely to those who answer? Are you always this abrasive? You can disagree without the attacks.

Because all TwoPiece does is come and cause arguments on my threads, I didnt ask weather people buy comics for their value or for nostalgic reasons.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Because all TwoPiece does is come and cause arguments on my threads, I didnt ask weather people buy comics for their value or for nostalgic reasons.

Then ignore him. And welcome to...conversation with humans. People diverge, make related comments, or even go pure random. You can find a chat bot to stay on topic, I imagine. :D

8 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

I collect comics I want, and there a many comics on my want list. Since I can't get them all at once, I naturally have to prioritize what I get and when. If speculation starts driving the prices on one of those "back burner" book, I'll buy it before it reaches ridiculous levels I'm unwilling to acknowledge.

Same here.

I buy comics because I want them.

I bought ASM 798 because I wanted it,because green goblin used the carnage symbiote to create red goblin, I found it interesting.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Most people get graded copies for nostalgia, preservation, appreciation, verification, etc. It gives us safety of actually "buying the book" because someone else has done a restoration check and evaluated its (estimated) condition.

There are very few people that collect comic books "because of financial value".

Are you saying I can never resell these comics for a financial gain

20190428_152100.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Before this gets too out of hand, I'll point out that this part of the discussion wouldn't be happening if your first reply to TwoPiece did not start with, "That might be the most ridiculous response I have ever heard in my life." Otherwise it was fine. Disagree and explain why. No need to grade an opinion in such a way.

Or ignore (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Answer my speculative question?

Are they worthless?

Define "financial gain".

It's realistically possible that, at some point in the future, they could be worth less than you bought them for or entirely worthless.

That's why you buy the book and not the label, and regardless of value, just in case it's never worth any monetary value.

Just now, MR SigS said:

Before this gets too out of hand, I'll point out that this part of the discussion wouldn't be happening if your first reply to TwoPiece did not start with, "That might be the most ridiculous response I have ever heard in my life." Otherwise it was fine. Disagree and explain why. No need to grade an opinion in such a way.

Or ignore (thumbsu

Your right.

I agree,something in his condescending attitude provokes me to anger and I need to rise above that.