• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price to pay for uncanny xmen 266,signed.
1 1

69 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Define "financial gain".

It's realistically possible that, at some point in the future, they could be worth less than you bought them for or entirely worthless.

That's why you buy the book and not the label, and regardless of value, just in case it's never worth any monetary value.

I doubt any of those comics will decrease in value from the price I paid for them.

I imagine most of them will greatly increase.

I especially think the 2 Edge books will go up.

I imagine the ASM 361 will rise closer to the movie coming out,same with Rai 0 and even people not interested in the comic will go because of Vin Diese,which subsequently will cause people to seek out the comic.

If legion overcomes his schizophrenia in some twist of the story arc that comic will rise in value as he will surely be considered the strongest mutant.

There is a combination of interest,nostalgia andcfinanvial speculation in all those purchases.

TwoPiece it's okay to admit when we've made a poor opinion, it shows the character and measure of a person  as well as their ability to show humility.

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I doubt any of those comics will decrease in value from the price I paid for them.

I imagine the ASM 361 will rise closer to the movie coming out,same with Rai 0 and even people not interested in the comic will go because of Vin Diese,which subsequently will cause people to seek out the comic.

If legion overcomes his schizophrenia in some twist of the story arc that comic will rise in value as he will surely be considered the strongest mutant.

There is a combination of interest,nostalgia andcfinanvial speculation in all those purchases.

TwoPiece it's okay to admit when we've made a poor opinion, it shows the character and measure of a person  as well as their ability to show humility.

Color me surprised that you think all of the books you've bought will not depreciate in value whatsoever. Such an uncommon opinion.

Your last sentence is nothing short of ironic.

11 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm afraid that isn't "rising above." :( You validated TwoPiece's reply with, "There is a combination of interest, nostalgia and financial speculation in all those purchases", then shoot it down by calling it "a poor opinion".

But whether or not those comics bring financial gain depends on many things NOT universally common to everyone, such as how much you paid for them, and when you try to sell them. I purchased a Hulk 180 CGC 8.0 a few years ago about $80 over GPA, and it sat there for quite a while. I didn't care because I wanted it. Here we are today and clearly it's gone well beyond that '$80 over GPA' I spent, BUT if I had tried to sell it for a gain before the jump in value...

Edited by MR SigS

1 minute ago, MR SigS said:

I'm afraid that isn't "rising above." :(

But whether or not those comics bring financial gain depends on many things NOT universally common to everyone, such as how much you paid for them, and when you try to sell them. I purchased a Hulk 180 CGC 8.0 a few years ago about $80 over GPA, and it sat there for quite a while. I didn't care because I wanted it. Here we are today and clearly it's gone well beyond that '$80 over GPA' I spent, BUT if I had tried to sell it for a gain before the jump in value...

Exactly 

But I think the age of the comic probably helps it increase too.

I bought an ironman 1 for 750 ,I imagine itll come back 7.5, if I hold unto it for 10 years I imagine it will increase 3 fold

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Define "financial gain".

It's realistically possible that, at some point in the future, they could be worth less than you bought them for or entirely worthless.

That's why you buy the book and not the label, and regardless of value, just in case it's never worth any monetary value.

This discussion confuses me. I bought silver age marvel keys in the 90s because I love the genre and I thought they had good financial upside to them. I figured they had 5-10% yearly appreciation in them, so were not a terrible investment vehicle. Hindsight being 20/20 the money I have spent on comics over the years probably would have done better in the stock market or as down payments in income producing properties, but who knows?

Just now, the blob said:

This discussion confuses me. I bought silver age marvel keys in the 90s because I love the genre and I thought they had good financial upside to them. I figured they had 5-10% yearly appreciation in them, so were not a terrible investment vehicle. Hindsight being 20/20 the money I have spent on comics over the years probably would have done better in the stock market or as down payments in income producing properties, but who knows?

Get out before it's too late. lol

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Yes a combination of nostalgia and the hope when you decide to move on them you can secure a profit.

Obviously real estate is more financially lucrative.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Get out before it's too late. lol

I got out of most of my keys too early because I bought and renovated a house. While I have done very well on the house (until that bubble bursts at least) I wish I had kept most of the good comics I sold and figured out a way to generate that $ elsewhere. 2006-2007 was not a terrible time to sell, but there was a lot more growth to be had on some of these books.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Exactly 

But I think the age of the comic probably helps it increase too.

I bought an ironman 1 for 750 ,I imagine itll come back 7.5, if I hold unto it for 10 years I imagine it will increase 3 fold

You're experiencing the same things most collectors experience in the early going. Imagination is a great word in this hobby, but usually when it's used in the production of a comic book. Be careful when applying it to "value".

Edited by MR SigS

Just now, the blob said:

I got out of most of my keys too early because I bought and renovated a house. While I have done very well on the house (until that bubble bursts at least) I wish I had kept most of the good comics I sold and figured out a way to generate that $ elsewhere. 2006-2007 was not a terrible time to sell, but there was a lot more growth to be had on some of these books.

I knew I should've specified. I meant, "get out of the thread before it's too late".

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes a combination of nostalgia and the hope when you decide to move on them you can secure a profit.

Obviously real estate is more financially lucrative.

Depends where. I see houses listed in some cities for less than they sold for 15 years ago. I happen to have done well where I live. I wish I had been able to buy when prices were down 2009-2011 and have a second property to rent or sell right now, but I had no cash.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Depends where. I see houses listed in some cities for less than they sold for 15 years ago. I happen to have done well where I live. I wish I had been able to buy when prices were down 2009-2011 and have a second property to rent or sell right now, but I had no cash.

It happens, those were tough years for all of us.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

It happens, those were tough years for all of us.

Government job gave me job security (I'm not in a union, but we had so much work they couldn't fire people), but the pay was 40% of what I had been making in private practice

3 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

You're experiencing the same things most collectors experience in the early going. Imagination is a great word in this hobby, but usually when it's used in the production of a comic book. Be careful when applying it to $$$.

I'm in it for the long run.

I dont need the money that bad. Should have my first novel published next year.

Comics are a fun hobby, maybe I look moving them in 25 years.

I'd say if you want to make money you really have to hate the book. If you love the book too much it will be next to impossible to part from it.

Like ASM 361 is for me.

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Should have my first novel published next year.

If you love the book too much it will be next to impossible to part from it.

Like ASM 361 is for me.

Is it a love story? A story of deep, tender love? The story of one man and his ASM 361. 

Chapter One

"I must admit I didn’t think much of Andy first time I laid eyes on him; looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man. But he had this old vintage comic from the nineties rolled up under his arm....."

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

At least you had security.

I am grateful for that. Although hitting us with furloughs in the form of our checks getting docked 10% while still working full time was a stress during those times, but I know it could have been worse.

20 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm in it for the long run.

I dont need the money that bad. Should have my first novel published next year.

Comics are a fun hobby, maybe I look moving them in 25 years.

I'd say if you want to make money you really have to hate the book. If you love the book too much it will be next to impossible to part from it.

Like ASM 361 is for me.

Just keep in mind that in 25 years people may not give a squat for comic books, unless they need the paper FOR a squat. So many things can happen in a world as messed up as this one. One small space rock can turn comics into kindling and toilet paper, or superheroes could simply be thought of as silly and so "25 years ago" lol 

As long as I limit myself to buying comics I want (usually SA & BA), I won't feel I've lost if the market tanks and my AF15 is nothing more than (beat up) eye candy.:luhv: